Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
4e wasn't much like an MMO at all, but quite a lot of BG3's changes - heavy slot-based itemization, keyword-based interactions, a lot of easy mobility, and recharging resources - have the effect of making it much more like 4e in practice. 5e doesn't do item slots, thinks at-wills that do anything but damage are op, is extremely reluctant to let any abilities interact and has a known grudge against non-daily actions.

"Any failed saves now inflict stacking penalties" and "add radiant damage to attacks, triggering radiant orb and arcane synergy" are anti-5e but would not feel very out of place in my 4e sorcerer's kit.

This is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's incredibly easy not to rest enough to go through your camp queue. My first run, Karlach timed out on me at the end of act 2. I got so confused I picked an old save just to try flushing it to see what happens and she was like 7 nights down - after Lae'zel, Wyll, and somehow, the owlbear.

Plays after that, I started resting way more liberally.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Medullah posted:

Next question. This round I'm playing easy so it doesn't really matter much, but I want to get a better understanding of the systems. Looking at my Druid, picked two different weapons - a staff with Shillelagh activated and a mace. She has proficiency in both.

Looking at the Mace it shows the damage on the item screen as 10-20 and the staff as 7-14 damage, however on the actual character sheet they show identical Attack Bonus and Damage. Is the attack bonus rating not taking the 1d6 poison from the Mace into effect?

[9-14]+1d6 is 10-20, yes. I think you can mouse over the numbers to see the factors? I don't know why the mace has +2 attack/damage over the staff without it though - I assume it's 18 wisdom too and the weapon bonus is the same.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's a good joke that the first two magic weapons you can get in the game without buying them are a +1 dagger and shortsword and feels a little like a lesson that way. The dagger has the same mean damage as a shortsword/scimitar with a tighter variance and a +1 to hit, and the shortsword has the same thing with all the d8 weapons. Finesse characters should be slampicking the shortsword even if they're normally duelists, and you can even argue the dagger is better than a d8 if you have it (dagger and shield does look pretty goofy though).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Paladins are massively buffed in both flexibility and fun by the one-two of all the subclasses having important holes in their channel divinity options filled and spell prep scaling by their full level. It's actually a big factor in me not being able to get into my ranger playthrough, because rangers have the base 5e situation of getting a small number of spells known out of a small spell pool that they then have to work to make work. I kind of hate the "smite slots" meme (and the 5e design, such as it is, that led to it) because support paladins in BG3 are insanely spoiled.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bards get their second attack at 6, but 5 is Font of Inspiration, which they need too.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Warlock is a popular thing to stick on the side of bard because one level gets you eldritch blast, two for invocations, and three for misty step, plus Pact Weapon if you want to go that route.

There isn't that much wrong with straight bard though and personally I think it's completely reasonable to do (But then, I don't really support multiclassing on principle, I think it's bad design in 5e and I'd only do it in the game for a specific thematic Wyll build because it'd feel too weird to ditch warlock entirely.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I honestly find it weird that bards are meant to be the the spellcasters that can hold a sword, but they don't get shield or misty step, which is why Bladesingers are eating all the melee bards' lunches at all times in tabletop (on top of all the other stuff from the wizard spell list).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Docjowles posted:

Rogue: I hope you like engaging with the stealth mechanics because everything revolves around sneak attacks. I do not, so I haven't spent much time with rogue

Hybrid:
Bard: You can build this as a caster heavy on utility and CC, a very powerful archer, or melee DPS. I personally really enjoy the archer variant. You get "flourishes" that are similar to Monk or Fighter special abilities, that add some effect on top of doing damage. Regen on short rest. Very good jack of all trades that doesn't feel like you are *bad* at any of them.

Ranger: Pretty similar to bard I feel like? I haven't played this much TBH, sorry

Paladin: Mostly a melee that boosts damage with Smite and has some healing spells you probably won't use. I haven't played a lot of this class either

I think rogues can Sneak Attack against any enemy that's threatened, so they can get reliable DPR if they just follow a fighter. Snipers can still just Cunning Hide constantly.

I stand by support paladins, particularly for Ancients. You passively defend everyone near you and have a pretty solid set of buffs, including one or two exclusive ones and good elemental access on your weapon strikes. I think BG3 has also given every paladin a viable bonus action Channel that doesn't even stop you smiting if that's your thing.

As a paladin fan I haven't really been able to get into ranger. BG3 gave paladins a ton of extra spell selection leeway but didn't do the same to ranger, so you're a finesse fighter with limited styles, a small handful of mainly support spells, and a subclass that either gives you more support actions or a little extra attack damage (I wanted to like the spider but it's really jank). Gloomstalker is supposed to be a sneaky ranger, but they only get a one-time d8 for their ambush strike instead of the rogue's ever-growing fistful of d6s.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Healing in combat is usually a waste of an action and almost invariably a waste of spell slots, but there are a few notable exceptions (mostly the ones that don't use spell slots).

Paladins and Life clerics get fairly significant healing powers that use their own resources, though they're probably better used out of combat. If you do end up using them in combat, they're an actually noticeable chunk of your bar and much preferable to lowering yourself to cast cure wounds.
Ancients paladins, specifically, get a fairly respectable bonus action area heal that starts at level 1 and scales - you should definitely be using it, in or out of combat, because the other Ancients Channel Oath power is very bad.
Healing word is kind of bad in the game where, unlike on paper, waking up from unconscious leaves you without an action, but it still cancels death saves, so if you have to, you have to.
Also, note that throwing a potion (like throwing anything else) isn't just an action, but specifically an attack, so they're more efficient for Extra Attackers. This is probably a better way to get dying people standing.
You can also throw goodberries, the second most efficient healing spell for the slot in the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Black Noise posted:

There was a big uproar like 3 days before launch when a dev post got misinterpreted as if you don't romance your companions then they'll mingle amongst themselves. This lead to people flipping out about the potential of getting "cucked" by Wyll. Which honestly would've been some interesting character development besides daddy issues.

I remember hoping for this, the party members dating in Pillars 2 was a lot more of a fun dynamic than anyone turning to the camera and going "ooh Mx. Captain you changed my life" and they still came to you first so people wouldn't lose out on the romance they wanted just by doing things in the wrong order. I wanted to matchmake the party members I wasn't sticking with Tav.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Dream bae sucked. It was a bad angle assuming that the best string on all possible Tavs is getting seduced. The "you're in danger, I can protect you" line is way more applicable and it's not like it's less sus on its face than "eat more tadpoles and I'll rail you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's a lot less demand for heavy armors in the party, relative to how many other really good ones there are, than shields.