Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shwqa posted:

I'm not sure if I fully understand that helmet. So if you give an enemy a condition, then you gain arcane synergy. Arcane syngery gives your weapon extra damage based on their spell modifier?

So, a 20 charisma bard would deal with 5 extra damage to their weapon? I'm not really seeing the brokenness, but I am assuming I am missing a lot.

It matters a lot if you're using weapon attacks that don't use a STR/DEX as a damage base. A classic Bard 5/Paladin 7 build with GWM will get 3-4 attacks per round. If you have 22 Charisma, that's an extra 24 damage per round, a non-trivial amount. Add in stuff like Haste, Bloodlust and Action Surge and that number goes even higher.

There are also some weapons in the game (ex. Infernal Rapier/Sylvan Scimitar) that use a spellcasting stat as their damage modifier, and it would help a lot there as well.

Also, pretty much everything in this game counts as "a condition". If you have musical instrument proficiency (Bard), you could start combat by playing a song, a free action, and every attack gets the modifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’ve played act 1 a million times and I’ve never seen the harpies attack Mirkon until he gets to the harpy luring him, but I just saw him get attacked by a harpy that had already made an attack. Are all the harpies just coded to get free attacks on him if he enters melee range?

All enemies can do opportunity attacks to targets moving within melee range, as long as they have a Reaction available

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

There are a certain number of spells that don't have a scroll, at all. Haste is one of them.

What are you talking about, Haste scrolls absolutely exist. I know it's in Act 3, but Sorcerous Sundries carries them all the time.

I will grant that they are extremely rare, though, especially early game.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Warlock-specific spells like Hunger of Hadar don't have scrolls, as far as I know.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, Lae'zel broke my Honour Mode run when she sided with the Gith at the Creche.

gently caress you Lae'zel, next time I'm letting Shadowheart kill you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Thundarr posted:

It can sometimes be a size thing. Lae'zel embiggened with an elixir of the colossus can reach things on walls and shelves that other people in my party can't.

I do this so I can steal more poo poo off the walls from Moonrise and Cazador's Palace.

I don't need to do it, I just find it very amusing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

No you have to cool her off in Act 1 and try to kiss her for the romance to activate.

No you don't. You can successfully start the romance by telling Karlach her in conversation that you like her, or respond positively when she approaches you in camp. As long as you keep doing stuff she approves of (like getting her upgrades and saving people) the romance will progress.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 11, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s just the elevator past that into act 2 that moves things forward. Minthara even has dialogue in the goblin camp if you’ve already dealt with Nere.

It's definitely the elevator that moves things forwards. I've done the entirety of Grymforge before dealing with the goblin leaders a number of times.

Grym's pretty easy if you have a throwing character and pick up a certain weapon from the goblin trader.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Right, so I just had a really weird bug. Walked in to the Zhentarim hideout, passed the speech check and went through the gates. The second I crossed a line of oil on the ground, it set off all the explosives, killed the artist, and made everyone go hostile. I wasn't on fire, and didn't have any equipment that does fire (or any elemental) damage.

What the hell? I wanted to trade!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

Did you have an ever burning Tiefling from Hell in your party?

I hadn't even gotten to her yet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Uh, so has anybody had issues with really weird AI behaviour since the last hotfix?

Re-started my Honour Mode run. Was at the Ragzlin fight, fighting from the upper rafters. On Ragzlin's turn he threw a javelin at one of my party members but hit one of the rafter beams, and the javelin then fell and killed one of the goblin minions due to bludgeoning damage. Ragzlin then immediately did this again, targeting a different party member and having the exact same thing happen to a different goblin minion.

I know Larian breaks poo poo with their hotfixes/patches, but I've never seen an enemy do something that weird.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Thundarr posted:

This is genuinely loving funny. I had no idea thrown objects that miss still have physics damage like that.

There have definitely been times even before the patch where I'd prep a throw and the game told me the path is clear, only for it to get stopped by something in the way. So it doesn't surprise me that the game would trust its own questionable trajectory predictions.

I actually knew about the physics damage. If you have a height advantage and use a throwing weapon you'll still do some bludgeoning damage if you miss.

I guess I just got lucky with party placements in that fight.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sindai posted:

Is there really no way to switch from the pike of returning to your regular weapon without wasting your main action? It seems extremely stupid that you can pull out and throw anything 3 times per round while holding a two hander but swapping weapons? That's a paddlin'

Yes, this is the entire point of having returning weapons. If you want to be able to throw stuff in a pinch keep some daggers or spears around.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wait, I'm doing the Creche on Honour Mode attempt 2... does the warfare trainer kick one of the students to death?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Thats weird, Gale won't take the dagger +1 i found. I wonder if its tagged as essental or something.

Items that Gale can absorb will be described as such. Generic +1 weapons don't work.

twistedmentat posted:

Did they change the Gnoll encounter? I remember being able to go into the cave and convince the leader via tadpole that I was their boss and they helped me fight the group. Sweet Tempus, they one shot my party with arrows.

I found sneaking up to the leader before the other gnolls notice you works the best.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

I feel like you should be locked out from getting the cub if you kill the mama. Or, you should get the cub but there should be long dialogue sequences where he talks about how much he loved her and share fond memories with you ignorant of the fact that you murdered her you monster.

Well I think that if you kill the mother and tame the cub, you should be able to ride your owlbear into battle during Act III

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Entropic posted:

I wish Durge mode was harder, it's actually kind of offputting how chill your party is about your little episodes. When you take the option of turning yourself in for Alfira's death I was expecting it to have some consequences but everyone's just like "eh, maybe it was the tadpole's fault? guess we better be careful." And it is just plain goofy how the huge bloodstain just persists through longrests and is there even if you hide the body before dawn, and no one comments on it. I was hoping that if you hide the body there'd be some tense dialogue where everyone is like "hey, where did Alfira go?" and you have to avoid raising suspicion. I think that kind of story mode could be a lot more interesting if it didn't clash so much with the indulgent game design that basically allows you to keep people around no matter what you do if you really want to. At least from what I've seen so far, I'm still in act 1.

Also looking back on the thread I now find it hilarious that there were multi-page debates about "would Astarion be problematic / innappropriate / boundry-crossing as a PC at a tabletop game?" when Durge is right there lmao.

Speaking of problematic, I finally realised who Gortash reminds me of with his messy haircut and his whole unshaven, open-collar look:

A number of your companions are pretty morally suspect to begin with, with the notable exceptions of Karlach (and later Jaheira). A little murder every now and then probably won't bother them too much.

All the good Durge story beats are in Act III, anyways.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Good to know a few classes get new armor feats later on.

Also, with Minthy, can I just bonk her and leave her sleeping while i murder everyone else in the goblin camp and she'll be recruitable in chapter 2?

You specifically have to make Minthara "Temporarily Hostile" for it to work. The easiest way to do this is to steal one of the scrolls on the desk in front of her, and go into combat from the pop-up dialogue.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Nothing wrong here, Shadowheart says while looking at me like this.

She just has to look down her nose at you, doesn't she? I left Shart in camp in my current run and she ran off after I did the Gauntlet without her. 10/10, would do again

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Apparently if Jaheira is stunned at the end of the Minsc/Stone Lord she doesn't participate in the final conversation and you're forced to kill him.

gently caress

This is Honour Mode so I can't go back to a previous save. This sucks. Also Jaheira ran off with a bunch of very nice equipment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you don’t mind cheating, just kill the process and reload.

Meh. Too late

I am starting to run out of party members, though. Or at least ones I actually want to haul around with me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ZearothK posted:

If you kill her husband you can get one of the stray cats in Baldur's Gate to move in with her. So I think that's the best ending.

WHY CAN'T I TAKE MY SON TO CAMP. gently caress YOU, LARIAN

*runs off crying*

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Also the Iron Throne is 5 turns in Honour Mode, not 6. That was an unpleasant surprise (got everyone out, though)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I thought that the attacks not stacking was only in Honour Mode?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Whelp my run was a complete mess by the end but Honour Mode, done and dusted.

That final fight has some nasty additions.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

flashman posted:

Starting a tactician run with my buddy now and we're gonna be nerds and try and make some WOT characters, for Mat I was thinking start rogue-monk-fighter 5-thief-rest fighter. Monk is pretty much just to get the unarmored bonus (I suppose using everything as dex will be useful as well, although sneak attacks are out). This will give me 3-1-8 and 3 feats so seems ok, I guess attributes, polearm master, and lucky would be the ones to get. Does that look mechanically viable to you guys

Barbarian would be a better dip for Unarmoured Defense, as constitution is more useful for a fighter than wisdom.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Geekboy posted:

I think Rangers make pretty decent first characters, too. A bit of martial, a little spell casting, a lot of damage.

Both Beast Master and Hunter can be very capable straight level 12 builds. Volley is awesome, and some of the animal companion abilities you get later on are pretty strong.

Volley is treated as an AOE attack, so it can bypass Sanctuary and mark invisible enemies.

I think Gloomstalker is better suited to multiclassing as the best abilities are front-loaded

grack fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 20, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Watching Karlach smash up that hut is hilarious,oh wait i meant loving infuriating cause she got us all loving burned to death.

You can take the rest of your party and stand outside waiting for her.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The real secret to Honour Mode is to just start stabbing and don't stop.

Bonus points if you do it all drunk.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Okay, so I'm clearing out Moonrise on my current run and just killed the goblins on the lower floor in front of a bunch of guards with a smokepowder arrow

Nobody reacted because it was considered a "Stealth" attack.

The mechanics of this game are just a little weird at times.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Honour is tactician rules, isn't it?

Honour uses a ruleset that's closer to tabletop and more difficult than tactician, and gives a number of bosses new (and unpleasant) abilities.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

tarbrush posted:

What, you can have a staff in one hand and punch people with the other?

You can still make the bonus unarmed attack if you're carrying a weapon.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCXqxGum75o

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Decided to fight the goblins at the windmill on this hm run and that's a tough little fight at level 3. I usually talk my way by it. Took some cunning to survive that.

Standing on the roof of the house across the path and picking off enemies with ranged attacks works really well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I still have no idea what enables or disables achievements WRT mods. I did my Honour Mode run with my game modded to hell and back and got the achievement without using the enabler.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Horace Kinch posted:

Thinking is overrated, cast more MAGIC MISSILE AND NOTHING ELSE

grack
Jan 10, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

Also, all those self-help Shar books are really expensive too. I didn't add them up, but they brought in tons of gold. I usually ignore books too when looking for loot to sell.

If you're on PC I can wholeheartedly recommend the Auto Loot Seller mod. You don't get as much gold as selling to a merchant, but you also don't have to worry about inventory weights.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I got these two achievements in the same run.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

My wife is 5 months pregnant and I’m pushing for a BG3 related name so far got it narrowed down to:

Karlach
Brinna
Necromite

Blunt Skuncher

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Is that the one full of poison gas that gives you disadvantage on die rolls so if youre not in combat it doesn't matter but your party still refuses to walk through it so you have to manually guide them all through it one at a time? cos I hate that poo poo

You only need to get one party member across the gas cloud in the morgue to the room at the other end.

You can set your party just outside of range of the gas and plink away at enemies using ranged attacks. Easy fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMLWGnA6qPM

I think for my next full on evil durge run, I'm gonna play Patrick Bateman. Human obviously, but what class should I go? Human Battlemaster who only uses axes?

Beserker Barbarian