Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Arivia posted:

Steamspy is just an estimate, it isn’t authoritative

e: having played most of the game (took a break in early act 3 to wait for some patches), I feel pretty justified in commenting on Astarion’s name all the way back when. There’s a pretty clear division in names in the game between ones Larian picked themselves that sound like the generic euro fantasy they use in Divinity, and proper Ed Greenwood-influenced names. In general, main story characters use the former, and the latter is for less important NPCs.

:rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Another weird caster interaction is with which stat an item use for saving throws, as items will always use the latest spellcasting class picked.

Say you make a tempest cleric 2 / storm sorc 10 and use the staff from the act 3 wizard tower to still get chain lightning.
If you go Sorc 10 / Cleric 2 the staff will use wisdom.
If you go Sorc 9 / Cleric 2 / Sorc 1, the staff will still use wisdom.
If you go cleric 2 / Sorc 10, the staff will use charisma (as you probably want it to!).

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

MarshyMcFly posted:

I just found the night orchid cave in the house of grief but I still can’t gift shadowheart a night orchid! I romanced her and everything. How do I get this stupid trophy?

Ask her to tell more about herself and she should mention that she likes night orchids. If you already romanced her then it might be too late to have that convo.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think the biggest theoretical drawback to doing a Lone Wolf run in this game would be only having 1/4 of the perception checks. You'd be blowing yourself up on a whole lot of traps. Soloing encounters seems more than doable though, I've seen solo Open Hand Monks just steamroll everything.

Finally a case for Dungeon Delver! not really

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I couldn't make up my mind with what to play as for my HM run, so I made a party of 4 Tavs :haw:

Swords bard, will take 2 pala levels at some point
Storm sorc, with 2 levels of tempest cleric
Gloomstalker assassin archer
Ancients paladin. Will be 7 pala/5 cleric (trickery probably) for tanking with spirit guardians.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I brought Sazza into the goblin camp and knocked out Minthara during the grove assault but Minthara appears to be dead in Act 2.

Yeah you can't betray her or use the "I'm gonna murder you" dialogue option. She has to have the "tempoarily hostile" tag when you fight her.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I wonder if Marcus was supposed to be recruitable at some point. Afaik he's the only one other than companions that also strips if looted.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Your spoiler tags are messed up.

Are you supposed to talk to him somewhere before last light? That's been my first encounter with him

Fixed :doh:

He shows up at Last Light when you first get there, if you didn't save the tieflings in act 1. You can side with him during the abduction attempt and then he'll be alive at Moonrise.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, goons just like standing out compared to the general population. Remember when Larian dropped the latest stats a while back, and it turned out that something like 51% of players had romanced Shadowheart? Not 51% of those pursuing romances with female characters, not even 51% of those choosing to romance in general, but 51% of all players.

And I'm not going to lie, being a basic bitch myself I also romanced Shadowheart during my first playthrough. However, next time around I'm planning on wooing Minthara, which should put me in a more exclusive club of special snowflakes.

I believe the technical term is drowflake :eng101:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

What are the most "broken" classes/builds with the current patch level?

My co-op group is playing a pretty standard party (Tempest Cleric, Rogue Thief, Evocation Wizard, and hand crossbow Swords Bard), but for my upcoming solo play I'd like to make a bunch of crazy broken characters and turn the difficulty up. It'll probably still be too easy, but I think it'll be fun.

I know Swords Bard is good, but since I'm already playing one, I'll probably skip that one. What else is overpowered? Tavern Brawler Monk?

Pala/sorc. Quicken cast hold person and auto crit stuff to death with mega smites.
Any cleric with the radiating orb items and spirit guardians. Do aoe damage, slow enemies and give them -4 to hit you each turn, stacking.
Divination controller wizard
Gloomstalker/assassin/fighter
Hunter ranger 11/war cleric 1. Gather enemies up somehow (minor illlusion, black hole, void grenades) and aoe sharpshoot them to death with volley.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Boogan posted:

Any ideas on how I can quickly break a Paladin Oath in Act 2? Currently Paladin of the Ancients.

Go to Moonrise prison or docks and start killing cultists. Make sure the paladin gets a killing blow.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Trying to come up with a bleed/poison gimmick build.

The Tiger barb AoE attack makes up to 3 enemies bleed.
Using the Shattered flail to activate Broodmother's Revenge (I think the poison will only proc on the followup attack).
Wearing the Poisoner's Gloves will force the enemies to save or get the poisoned condition. Due to them bleeding this will be at disadvantage.

Anything I can add to this? Shattered flail + Periapt of Wound Closure also combos nicely but then I'll lose the source of poison damage.

e: Another Shattered flail tiger barb gimmick is to combo it with Loviatar's mace to drop 3d6 necrotic mininukes while healing 3d6 (or 18 with the Periapt). Requires the dual wielder feat.

Lima fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 22, 2023

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

If you're fully committed to the gimmick then you can permanently sacrifice someone from your party in the Festering Cove to receive BOOOAL's Blessing.

BOOOAL lives! :worship:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Tonetta posted:

What was his mechanic? I talked him into the pit, disarmed the avatar then blinded it. Only thing he did for me was spawn adds.

He can spend a legendary action to do a 4d8 ranged attack against anyone that's being attacked by minions, following the Deadly Orders ability.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I took down Orin in my honor run at level 10. Was an extremely close call but I got a tiny window where I could blast off unstoppables with magic missiles and then charge a destructive wrathed witch bolt crit on a wet target with my tempestsorc.

Dinged 11 when the fight ended :v:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Happy new year baldurans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2B0t6Y7_ws

e: the vid spoils a few endgame locations

Lima fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 31, 2023

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Is anyone using the Hellrider longbow just to add the +3 initiative for Laez or Karlach while they're meleeing or throwing? I haven't been paying enough attention to initiative to know if that'd really be useful or not. It's obviously not good for Act 3 damage and 2170 gold for it is a pretty big chunk.

I used it all the way through my honor playthrough on my pala/swordbard. I'd argue that it's the best bow available for that particular build, but it's also very good for anyone that you want to act faster.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I failed 2 rolls and 4 rerolls on a character that needed 4+ to succeed.

Fine Z'rell I guess you die! I just wanted better gear from the bugbear jeez!

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Valtonen posted:

Question on act 1 mechanics- can I traverse between camp and playworld freely without changes? I really wanna stash all these 12 explosive barrels in my camp but to be able to pull them out when I need them.

Yep, as long as you're not in combat or a hostile zone.

The easiest way is to right click on the barrels in the invetory and use Send to Camp or from the camp Send to charname.
You can even split your party and only send 1 to camp who then mails them to the party.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

poo poo Minthara says ep#262

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4Q98ekxfE

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Just got Blood of Lathander on my dark urge paladin and I want to use it, but he's been a big 2-handed weapon guy so far. Is there a viable paladin dual wield build that doesn't involve multiclassing? Or am I just better off going full sword and board?

You have to have the dual wield feat to dw the mace, but dwing paladins are fine.
You will do less damage than with a 2hander, but you gain an extra offhand attack that you can smite with and another weapon to give you stats and effects.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My goal for my Tav is A) barbarian dialog checks B) high charisma to make the dialog checks actually work. From what I was reading the warlock is the best option for multiclassing with charisma classes specifically because you can ditch strength and only need 14 dex and as much constitution/charisma as possible. Also unless it was fixed/changed in the past couple months you can apparently use hellish rebuke as a reaction even when raging which at least so far has been a great way to pick off annoying archers. So the plan would be cast something like Mirror Image (there's probably better later on) that buffs you without requiring concentration and then rage, then get a bunch of attacks. Diadem of Arcane Synergy also lets me double-dip on the charisma damage if I inflict a condition, which barbarians have several ways to do especially with enraged throw or whatever it's called knocking enemies prone. I know there's a way to make your bonded pact weapon gain the thrown characteristic and return, I forget what it's called though.

Armor of Agathys and raging works really well together as it effectively doubles the temp hp and AoA lasts forever.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

Way off topic, but what rogue dual wield setups do you guys like? Rocking the knife of the undermountain king and just trying to find a good pairing for it. Thief subclass FYI. Risky ring for sneak attacks every turn. Not usually optimal but three attacks regularly every turn if you wanna stay in close is not bad at all.

I like the weapons with "when you hit with advantage then ____" on Risky Ringers.
Slicing Shortsword, Justiciar's Scimitar and so on.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Valtonen posted:

So…. Is it normal for the entire region around the nautilus be pretty much devoid of life following the murderhobos passing? I just left for the mountain pass and boy the silence is deafening. The only trader still available to pawn poo poo to is the dorf at the druids grove…

Also I’d it possible to go back for the famed phalar olive after already heading to the mountain pass, or should I complete all quests at MP before taking the trip back?

You can go back to act 1 until the point of no return in late act 2. Only the grove raid and a few other things advance but it sounds like you did all that.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I wonder if they did that on purpose but I definitely also got jump scared by that

I think their behavior got bugged in one of the updates. All of them went aggresive in my first playthrough but I got a few stragglers in my latest.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

4th play through and got the ring of protection for the first time.

Is the trick to get Minth later you have to knock her out before you do the other chiefs and then wipe out the rest of the gobbos before leaving or resting? Last run I tried to knock her out last and even though I never got war drummed she was already hostile.

She has to be temporarily hostile, so you can't fight her last or betray her at the grove raid

As I understand it you also cannot longrest between knocking her out and triggering the party at the camp.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

re: disgusting meals, I just found out that Durge can eat the dwarf meat being roasted at the goblin camp. each chunk heals 4d4 and there's 5-6 of them :stare:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

EorayMel posted:

This might be the biggest sandwich you have ever seen. The size is almost intimidating, invoking feelings of inadequacy. Abundant in components, rich in both smell and taste (probably), this truly is the work of a master craftsman.

Huh, you would think that it would be easily... dwarfed! :stonklol:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Not sure what this friend thing is but I'm not about to start dabbling in it in my video games

It's about six young adults. The guy named Ross is a little too annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Thundarr posted:

It's possible to have a system that rewards thoughtful builds that doesn't also rely on a plethora of trap options, though (cough, 3.5 D&D / Pathfinder 1.0). IMO the baseline to aim for is that an entirely vibes-based build should be fun and usable, with things getting even more fun if you dig in to the system and optimize. It should take willful effort to actually make yourself bad. Which probably also means that a min-maxed character shouldn't be multiple laps ahead of an off the shelf character in performance.

It's kind of funny when a trap option is so obviously a trap that the game's own makers don't even bother checking on it though. The patch 6 notes it seemed to indicate that none of the effects of the Dungeon Delver feat even did anything before, which nobody noticed because nobody takes that feat.

PF1 had the feat that famously made you worse at shooting crossbows :v: