Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Just got this, perfect timing too because I have COVID and can dedicate the proper amount of time to exploring this. 25 hours and I'm still in act 1, it's real hard to focus.

First time through as a Sorcerer. I keep getting focused down and dying, so I should probably switch to draconic for the extra survivability. Not fun getting into the loop of being downed, helped up, and immediately shot after.

Respecced Shadowheart into Light so she can actually be useful, some of those light damage spells have great utility like making targets easier to hit, setting them up for Lae'zel.

Lae'zel is a beast. Great Weapon Master and Haste and then attacking over and over until the game tells me I'm out of actions.

I don't like Astarion that much, but his lockpicking has proved essential. Making him my team's sniper is okay. I really don't like stealth in turn-based games, and have been considering switching him out for Gale or Karlach.

I had Gale early on, but fell victim to the necrotic aura bug where he wiped out my party during and after a tough fight. Since I was new, I ended up burning a few revivify scrolls and it was a whole mess. He wasn't killed, just downed, because I hadn't ever considered revivify scrolls before that. Is there a mod that disables his Necrotic Aura and nothing else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Yeah act 1 is very big. Plus you're lower level and still learning the game so you're going slower. As a very rough estimate I'd guess it's something like 35% act 1, 20% act 2, 45% act 3? If you do everything. If you think act 1 has a lot of poo poo going on, buckle up for act 3 lol.

I really enjoy respecing Astarion into an open hand monk with the tavern brawler feat (and eventually 3 levels of rogue thief for an extra bonus action). Although monk is not great until level 5 or so. Also I was recently reminded that "sneak attack" doesn't have to come from stealth despite the name. You can use it any time you have advantage, which includes someone else being in melee range of the enemy. So if Lae'zel is in the thick of it whaling on fools, you can sneak attack whoever is around her. This makes rogue feel less terrible. Because yeah, hiding and sneaking in this game sucks.

Casters are kind of bad at low levels so no harm gluing Gale to the bench imo. Especially since you are a sorcerer. Karlach makes an awesome throwing weapon barbarian, again with the tavern brawler feat. There's a great throwing weapon in the goblin camp, and several items in act 1 that buff throw damage. She's totally carrying my party at level 4.

Oh I didn't realize I could sneak attack that way, much more useful.

That Karlach tech sounds awesome, but I killed the merchant that sold that pike so I'm out of luck. Unless I dual-class her into Eldritch Knight and get that Bound Weapon spell, but that seems like a lot.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Crazy how the difference between a fight requiring a short rest and a long rest comes towards the end of a fight. I can't tell you how many times I killed the boss and heavy-hitters only to get beaten within an inch of my life by the riff-raff. Would have been interesting if mobs got a demoralized debuff after their leader is dead, but maybe that's not in D&D 5e's toolset.

I did cheat-engine in that Returning Pike for Karlach. I won't have this amount of time to play BG3 again, so gotta make it count. Chrome wouldn't let me download the table, but Edge did. She's got two throws a turn at level 7 and is mopping poo poo up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

It's so funny that WOTC put out a Magic D&D Tie-in set with cards for all the BG3 characters but did it a year before the game came out when it was still in early access so completely missed out on the hype bump when the game came out and was a huge hit.

Was it possible there were delays one way or another? Not that WotC hasn't made bad decisions. As I remember, the Karlach card spiked in price after the game came out.

Playing the game now makes me appreciate the cards, even though I think a lot of them missed their mark. And now I want a Lae'zel deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

If you want you can do like 95% of the gauntlet. Similar to act 1 there’s a big “point of no return” popup before you do something that will lock you out of all remaining quests.

But yeah I definitely got the vibe that you are supposed to do Moonrise last since there has been so much build up. When in fact you should go there ASAP cause you get more quests and there are vendors with sick gear.

I just went there last and found out I missed out on a good vendor and who knows what else but yeah I also thought there was a reason to go there last.

The only good part of COVID is that I knocked out the majority of act 2 in one sitting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It seems like that Hag's Hair item is one of the most important in the game, am I wrong? There don't seem to be many ways to permanently increase stats.

Just got to act 3 last night and was in awe. There are NPCs and quests every few steps. I'd heard the act was the biggest in the game but I didn't expect it to be this open. Wow.

Is there a way to make my Tav the face character but not have him be first in line? It really messes up positioning in battles. I find the only way is to have my primary fighter be the one I'm controlling, but then Lae'zel is the one initiating conversations and she's... not the best at talking her way out of fights. If I control Tav then he's the one doing the talking, but if/when a fight starts he's right next to the enemies and Lae'zel might be too far back to kill what I need her to. I don't see anything like the formations in the other games.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I spent acts 1 and 2 chuckling to myself sometimes about when I'd get to "the fireworks factory", the actual city of Baldur's Gate. Then when I got there, there's an actual fireworks factory. I wonder if that was an intentional meta-joke.

Docjowles posted:

I'm sure it's a side effect of arbitrarily cutting off the D&D leveling curve at 12. But it's a little weird that the classes don't have some kind of capstone ability at max level to make multiclassing less of a no-brainer. As it is the later levels tend to be like "you gain one spell slot". Which is cool, but pales in comparison to the power of an extra action/bonus action. Or the whole "you can learn 99% of the spells in the game with 1 dip into wizard" thing. It doesn't bother me. I just wonder if Larian would have set it up this way if they weren't coloring inside the lines of D&D. Usually there is more of a reward for depth over breadth in character builds.

Anytime I have a complaint with the game, and they're all very minor, I see that it's due to the D&D foundation, not the game itself. I don't believe Larian would do things the D&D way if they didn't have to either. I don't know what I'm missing by going mono-sorcerer, but that's what I've done for 50 hours and 10 levels.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

This post is phrased like clickbait and has a Twitter embed with a clickbait title to an IGN article. The internet has ruined just telling people things.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The game sure likes to throw fights at you after a tough fight. "Hey we saw you teaming up with that guy. We hate that guy. Now we hate you! Die!" Happened right after the act 3 Iron Throne fight, as one example.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sorry Karlach, but I got Minsc and Boo and there's only room for one and one-tenth I guess comic relief character in my party.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Finished the game just now. It was the best distraction from a bad bout of COVID that I could hope for. Learning 90% of the way through that Larian bowed out and I wasn't going to see any more of these characters made the ending and epilogue more impactful and emotional. I had sixty-ish hours on my save file and did everything I wanted. I looked on the BG3 wiki and saw I missed two or three short-length quests in act 3 that probably would have added a few more hours. I had Karlach in my party until I recruited that very last companion, and then when the end fight was over she reminded me in a sad way that I never completed her personal quest. Whoops. She's the one where it doesn't matter though; in the epilogue she goes back to Avernus and has a blast beating her way to getting a new heart. I also didn't bother with Gale (who I benched after his necrotic aura bug nearly wiped me), Wyll (boring), the Druid guy (boring), or Astarion (didn't trust him after he tried to kill me and then tried to get a midnight snack from me), and all those personal quests could have added more time.

I would have done all those if I didn't have to long rest all the drat time, but even as a max level sorcerer I was still long resting every other battle. That was the most annoying part of the game, having to hold my breath the multiple times the screen faded to black in a long rest, because any of them could be yet another story beat, battle, etc. I don't know the solution though, given D&D's system. I think it'd be too little friction giving players a "refresh all spell slots and abilities" button... though there are the long rest potions of angelic whatever.

Even getting to max level mid-way in act 3 didn't bother me, every fight was rewarding. Gear was getting to OP levels, but all of it was well-earned. There was a lot of build-around equipment that I want to use in future playthroughs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Congrats.
Got a favorite quest/companion/fight?

Shadowheart ended up being my favorite companion and questline once I figured out I could respec her into something useful. When RPG games let you align with evil characters, I expect them to be more like what Astarion is: "we're in the same boat so we might as well stick together, but you'll probably backstab me at the earliest opportunity". Maybe I don't read a lot of fantasy genre fiction, but it's nice to see an evil character with a good reason for following the dark god. Felt like the cult itself could have been portrayed as having a good side better, but then they wouldn't be easy cannon fodder. I ended up romancing Lae'zel kind of by accident (she liked how I killed things real good) but the developers wrote this sweet platonic relationship for Shadowheart. Looking forward to seeing the other direction her storyline could go. What's the deal if you don't bring her along? Her prism item is essential to the plot. Does it just jump its way into your inventory?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

I mean, I met him, he told me to kill murderchick, I did a bunch of checks to find out if he was going to betray me, he wasn't, so I didn't. I killed Raphael because he was openly trying to gently caress me over, so my logic was 'This guy is a dick, but he's not trying to gently caress me over', and then The Netherbrain killed him so I didn't have to deal with him.

The only plot point I actively hated was (ENDGAME SPOILER) The Emperor U-Turning entirely and rejoining the Netherbrain? What the gently caress man. You might think I'm completely wrong choosing to free Opheus, and I could even handle having to fight you for it, but that doesn't make joining the Big Bad make any sense. It was a huge letdown, and it felt very against his arc, given how much of his story was escaping slavery. Also Monk Minsc murked him in a single round.

Hated that too. Worst character in the game also, telling me to not do anything fun. And trying to make me become an illithid, along with being a multi-layered device for storytelling revelations. "ALSO what if he was Balduran, the founder of the city?" Get outta here.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

he didn't escape slavery though. that's the big reveal immediately before he flips!!

He's non-stop big reveals and that's why he's rear end. Hate to bring up Robot Chicken because that's also rear end, but I used to watch it on Adult Swim because it was on; but there was a Star Wars scene where after Darth Vader does the "I am your father" speech and Luke says "No, that's impossible", Vader goes on to give other revelations such as "Also, the Empire will be defeated by Ewoks" to Luke's increasingly disinterested disbelief. That's my experience with his revelations - that's the eighth or so ridiculous one, and I'm done caring.

Not going to let him ruin what was otherwise a near perfect game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Can't decide if my Evil playthrough should be an oath breaking Paladin or Warlock. Eldritch Blast sounds like a blast, but Paladin/Warlock gets so many attacks. And I can kick off the evilness by killing a neutral NPC.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Might be a hot take, but Evil Durge playthrough kinda boring. Dialog branches I expect to follow through with an intimidation check instead end in a fight to the death. Meaning it's stupidly easy to have no companions (because they're all dead) and end up in constant battles (kill the good guys, then piss off the bad guys in their victory speech). I think an Evil non-Durge by-way-of self-interest or Resist Durge would be interesting.

Jay Rust posted:

getting three critical misses in a row is ILLEGAL

<> Shadowheart (before the ability to respec her into something useful) approves

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Loel posted:

Goddamn, Jaheria is hard to keep alive. Everyone else is at 75% health, boss is at 25% health, but shes at 3 hit points.

Guess we'll see you next campaign. :commissar:

There's conversation options where she joins you as a temp follower. Much easier because you get to control her directly and stop her from blindly rushing in to a crowd of enemies.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is there a 'what does tali's sweat taste like' breakdown about why egg-born githyanki have breasts

There's also a conversation for this, with Lae'zel. IIRC she says they evolved (might be gifted from their goddess) to lay eggs so they can keep on fighting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This go-around I used a runepowder barrel to kill Nere. And all but two evil dwarves. Somehow my party and my video card survived that explosion.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

Imagine not using your wizard/sorcerer as a magic missile machine smh

I can't stop casting it, even when I have better spells available. Guaranteed damage without line of sight is amazing catharsis for all the times BG3 has X-Com'd me or given me a "path is interrupted".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

wish the missiles had more of an "oomph" to them, right now they feel like little pebbles that can kill people who are at low hp leave people at 1 HP

Every time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Venn diagram of "times I want to stop playing BG3" and "times I need to long rest" is a complete circle. I think I should be grateful for it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Shadowheart has Produce Flame and Gale has the Lantern equipped and I'm still taking damage from the shadow curse. Is there a fix for this?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Oops, wrong lantern. I had the one from Moonrise Towers equipped. That's a Shadow Lantern, not Moon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

I was kinda disappointed that the superior plate mail is sold by Dammon in act 3 and not found in some epic dangerous location like where you found the adamantine set. Although I guess that is the theme with the Baldur's Gate games, the robe of vecna is sold in the very first shop you go to in BG2 and that thing is way more game breakingly powerful than anything in BG3.

Speaking of BG2 (and 1), I haven't played either in a while. I bought them on GOG and played BG1 for a half hour or so. It still kind of holds up, except for the real time pause system and the vast empty wildernesses. I might want to look up some guides and re-experience them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Moonrise has stuff in it, I discovered this time. Last run I saved it for last and assaulted it, so I missed out on lots of quests.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

ascended astarion as a monk in particular is completely absurd, he gets like an extra 1d10 necrotic per hit.

Yeah I have him as a Gloomstalker right now, but as soon as I get that bonus for him he's paying $100 to Withers for some karate lessons.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

"Tough warrior race doesn't understand metaphors" is such a tired trope, but... I loved it. Sue me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Barrels look like a good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMu3AILQQc

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Evil Durge playthrough at Last Light Inn is kind of glitchy. I walked in, Jaheira was rude to me, so I broke out of her vines and killed everyone. Pretty understandable for a murderous psychopath after they're greeted with hostility and vine bondage, right? Now everyone in the Inn is hostile, including Isobel, so I kill her too in her room. Immediately there's a cutscene where she's outside on ground level and a winged beast is carrying her and then flies away. Nothing too out of the ordinary for BG3, there's a lot of times where a conversation starts and it shows your character right next to the person you're about to fight just for cutscene convenience even though you're nowhere near that position when the cutscene starts/ends.

But as the cutscene ends, I'm outside with a bunch of angry vines and a single shadow-cursed Harper for no discernable reason. After I kill those, all my companions are upset at me for killing Isobel because she was protecting everyone. I could be wrong, but in this playthrough I hadn't learned that Isobel was the source of the Inn's protection, just that my butler thought I should kill her. And as I mentioned, Jaheira started it. And we'd already killed a squad of Harpers while masquerading as True Souls with our half-spider guide.

Kind of like Larian included an evil option because they knew people wanted it, but didn't playtest it as much as the Lawful/Chaotic Good way they knew most people would gravitate towards.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, Shadowheart went full Shar mode and I feel forced to use her pointy new spear. Respecced her into a War Cleric. I didn't plan on a party full of melee-enjoyers, but that's what I got.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I just realized I was supposed to give the dowry ring back to the dude in the burning building and shouldn’t have vendored it. Took a while but I was able eventually find the vendor who still had it in their inventory. I love that I was able to get it back.

The only downside of vendors keeping all that stuff is when I go back I’m not sure what their good stuff is and what I had unloaded on them.

It’s my first playthrough and I’m constantly thinking I’m choosing the wrong equipment and end up standing at the vendor way too long with choice paralysis

Buy everything that looks good. I never had money problems until some of the super expensive endgame gear in act 3, I just picked up all the random +1 weapons enemies drop and sold them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shwqa posted:

For another crime, you can just kill the shop vendor that sells the cat grace clothing. She is all by herself in the mountain area and she is a jerk. On honor mode, that is a saving of over 2,000 gold in act 1.

I could be wrong, but I believe vendors don't have everything available as loot. You risk her not dropping it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

being able to build new areas and assets would be a killer

I can't wait for the inevitable BG1 remake in BG3 engine project that'll be in development hell forever.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I like act 3, but it seems like there's a stupid amount of factions who are poised to take over Baldur's Gate and/or the world today regardless of what the game's big bad's plans are. Stuff like Saervok returning is a footnote (unless you're Durge, which is unlikely on a first playthrough). Cazador is going to ascend and become a tyrant on the current day. Shar's cult looks like they're doing their own supremely evil thing, I can't remember if those plans started before or were in response to the Absolute business.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

Perhaps to elaborate slightly on this: there's a few moments in every act where the game tells you to go to a certain place and a lot of players think this is like in Bioware games where going to that place automatically locks you into or out of content. This game is honestly really hard to sequence break and telegraphs points of no return really well.

This is an example of why the script writing in this game is so great. On my second playthrough I'm doing things in a different order than the first. Some of the dialog is the same. Maybe a sentence is added that corresponds to my choice, but it leads into the same speech the NPC gave last time. I didn't notice my first time playing that many things the NPCs said were relevant no matter what dialog option I chose, or what order I did things in. The characters will rehash things in their dialog lines, as a safeguard so it's relevant no matter what info you have or don't have, but it doesn't feel redundant. I can't think of specific examples, but you'll know if you've done more than one playthrough.

Clarste posted:

Honestly I'd say they were extremely bad at telegraphing that Moonrise Tower was a quest hub that you're supposed to visit first, rather than the final dungeon of the Act. Like, when you do actually hit the point of no return they have a big pop-up going "are you absolutely sure you want to do this? it will permanently change the state of the world and fail all your sidequests," which is definitely nice of them, don't get me wrong, but it happens at the very bottom of a dungeon that until that moment felt like it was a character's sidequest that had little to do with anything else. Unless, of course, you were crazy enough to visit what was obviously the final dungeon before doing anything else.

Yeah, a rare miss.

Also maybe a hot take, but I see people complain about act 3 more than any other. Act 2 is the one I really don't like; it's too linear and has some annoying things, like navigating the actual big dungeon of the map (which as has been discussed, isn't Moonrise).

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 19, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

dual crossbows is very good for act 1, but 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard with titanstring bow is the strongest build in the game once you get to act 2, and it's not close. the reason is that at level 10 sword bard you get magical secrets, and thus command and counterspell. take sharpshooter at level 4 and be sure to stock up on oils of accuracy and you'll lock down entire encounters while putting out 100+ dpr with ranged flourishes.

edit: you should level bard to 8 at first before respeccing into the multiclass.

this is what i did for my first playthrough and what i would recommend doing.

I've heard TB OH Monk is better, but as a solo character or party face, a class like Sword Bard that wants to max charisma seems optimal. There are so many charisma checks in the game where success is free XP and failure is a tough fight for the same reward.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I started an honor mode run with the goal of cheesing it to get that gold die. It's a lot of fun so far, and stressful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HhiUZcQ1gXjvsaJSpvccG_0Jm0fn7lgYaOYdQxuWSQs/

I'm using the Balanced Defence party build on the Powerful tab. The sword bard is my Durge, Shadowheart is the cleric, Astarion the monk (for late game reasons), and Minthara or Lae'zel will probably be the Sorcadin, it doesn't really matter I guess.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Pshaw if you want to CHEESE it you just use someone else's save, you're still putting in the work

It's still fun for me though. I beat the game twice, now I want to min-max my way through it once.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Beasteh posted:

The game never makes it clear how often you need to long rest to trigger specific cutscenes (spoiler: it's a ton more than a normal player would)

More than a normal player would unless they're playing a sorcerer or wizard you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

Shadowheart as a character has some of the most authentic D&D player character energy I've ever seen, specifically the character you get when the player at the game table who always plays kind and heroic characters decides they're going to make a dark and edgy character and can't keep it up for more than about 5 minutes at a time after session 3 cause they feel bad for the NPCs. Then someone at the table reminds her she's supposed to be a cleric of Shar, so she makes a snarky comment about Selune worshippers and then goes right back to wanting to help save random strangers.

The interesting thing is even if she goes full Shar Mode, she still acts like that. I think her approval/disapproval should change based on her story choices, but I don't think it does.