Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's only a very few things in this game on the kind of hard time limit that's affected by long resting, so you can generally long rest safely.

IMO, you should long rest much more than you think you need to. There's events and conversations that take place during long rests that you won't want to miss, and if you're only long resting when your health/spells/etc require it, you'll probably miss some of them. You can get these stacked up pretty deep, to the point where you'll have 5-6 of these sitting in the queue. So long rest often.

Personally, when I get an event during a long rest, I immediately do a 'partial rest' afterwards, which is a long rest without using supplies. If I get another event I do it again, and I repeat this until I stop getting events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ashcans posted:

As a Warlock you're basically only going to have 3 non-cantrip spells per encounter, 4 if you have an item or elixir. This can be fine sometimes because you can blow through a lot of encounters in less than 3 rounds, but using Eldritch Blast for your regular damage means you can use those spells on AOE, control, or Counterspelling.

Yeah, Warlock's well placed to be a utility caster type because Eldritch Blast is so good at covering all your offensive bases. By the midgame it's very easy to have it doing 2d10+16 damage in two shots, both of which can have significant knockback. So you can spend your 2-3 spell slots on the highest level CC/AOE you have and then just force bolt people for the cleanup. Then short rest afterwards and do it again. You can end up with 6-12 max level spellcasts per long rest depending on your level and if you have a Bard in your party which is far more than any other caster can get.

Also, don't sleep on Counterspell. There's a lot of fights that can be made much easier by keeping your spell slots and reaction open to shoot down enemy CC. In my warlock playthroughs, Counterspell was by far my most commonly used non-cantrip spell. One spellslot and a reaction to steal an enemy caster's entire action phase? Absolutely worth it.

Professor Beetus posted:

If you didn't, be sure to use speak with animals to talk to the squirrels watching her play. Also there are multiple ways you can see that play out, and it's funny, because if you help her by playing along with her, it's a very abbreviated version. you only get the full thing if you help her through the songwriting process. the best part was that I got this great performance and everyone in the party was clapping (except for Lae'zel who was off screen scowling), and then we promptly beat her rear end into the ground (to save her life).

On the other hand, if you successfully pass the checks to play along with her you will get free musical instrument proficiency if you don't already have it. Not super important, but nice to grab if you're on a cha-heavy class that doesn't start with it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO warlocks suffer from the BG3 implementation of the rules that give you two short rests per long rest and which effectively allow you to take as many long rests as you like.

Warlocks really shine as the caster that can be throwing out a lot of max level spells per day. At L7 your wizard gets one L4 spell per day. Your warlock, on the other hand, gets two per short rest which means they can really go hard on their big things and throw out a lot of extremely potent effects at the cost of having to rely on their cantrips for everything else. This is strong in a tabletop environment where the DM isn't going to let you set up camp after every encounter, but it's relatively weak in a cRPG where you can just spam long rests whenever you want them. And it's especially weak in BG3 where the game gives you so many events specific to long resting that you're gonna want to be long resting all the time anyways.

That said, gently caress it. Warlock is fun and has a lot of great flavor and who gives a poo poo if other classes can do more damage. If I cared about that I'd just be running four tavern brawlers.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There are so many supplies in this game that it's just not worth it imo.

And tbh there are so many long rest events in this game that not resting enough is more likely to be a problem than having to rest too much.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The drider’s moonlantern can get you through, I thought?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Warlock gets an extra attack at L5 and if you’re not on honor mode it stacks with the one paladin gets.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I'm on honor mode, so I wouldn't be getting the extra attack.

L5 also gets you L3 spells for Hunger of Hadar.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The nymph in Sharess’ Caress.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They get a wizard cantrip as a racial thing, technically. It just so happens that all the high elf companions pick fire bolt as theirs and it’s a choice you can’t respec for them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The dragons are in the cutscenes!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

After another disappointing level-up, I kinda want to spec shadowheart out of her trickery domain. Could someone who is good at d&d lore tell me, which other domain makes the most “sense” for her Shar-ness? Thx

It's not Cleric, but I honestly like Shadowheart as a Gloomstalker Ranger. It doesn't mesh with the "She was the healer in the group" thing, but that's text from one book in one place and it's otherwise fairly fitting for her. Gloomstalker is all about being sneaky death from the shadows, and the Sanctified Stalker favored enemy is 'trained to hunt the enemies of a religious order, gain proficiency in Religion', so it still has a very Sharran feel to it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For simple and basic it's hard to go wrong with a Champion fighter. It has almost no bells or whistles and it just makes straightforward attacks with an expanded critical hit range. If you just want to hit things and not worry about abilities at all, it's pretty much the best solution. Pump strength for melee or dexterity for archery and finesse weapons, and just stack as many damage boosters on him as you can.

If you want something a bit more advanced, Battle Master Fighter is good. You'll have to learn how to use the maneuvers, but it gives you some higher damage and the ability to disarm/trip/frighten/etc enemies. There's really nothing wrong here with just spamming trip on things that are standing, though.

If you want something easy and simple while still being fairly on theme for Astarion, Gloomstalker Ranger is pretty hard to beat. If you need him to be your lockpick guy, you can take the Urban Tracker option, which is very on theme for him. If this is the case, just pump dexterity as high as you can, and use finesse weapons and bows. They do have spells, but they're largely ignorable in combat if you want and they're good for picking up utility poo poo like Longstrider, Jump, Speak with Animals, etc etc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Minsc would be a conjurer wizard (Edwin was a conjurer).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO, play it out if you intend to replay the game, because it's pretty cool just to take what you get. On the other hand, if you're not gonna replay the game I'd probably reload because there's a decent amount of content in those characters.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

grack posted:

Does anyone else think it's weird that none of your companions care if you murder every Flaming Fist you see?

I was rolling around with Lae'zel, Minthara, and Astarion, so it would have been much weirder if any of them had cared.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shyfted One posted:

Tactician is brutal at the start of the game. Maybe I should try to find a way to get to level 3 before getting Withers. I have no idea how people are doing this solo on Honor mode.

You can cheese the bandits in Wither's crypt pretty easily with the door. None of them can break the door so you can pull the lever to open the door, let one run out, pull the lever to close and lock it, kill the one who's out there unsupported, repeat.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I've been following Devora Wilde's playthrough of BG3, and it's honestly the most entertaining out of anyone's because she is so new to video games. She slaughtered half the Grove before she even found Minthara because she was like, "that person I just talked to was slightly rude to me, let's kill them."

Should have expected that from Lae'zel, really.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He knows that Orpheus will loving end him if he is freed. Not a maybe, not a possibility, a dead certainty. Maybe he will be spared long enough to fight the Netherbrain, but maybe not. There’s no outcome where Orpheus is free and he survives. Better to risk slavery, because he’s already escaped that once.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I keep considering the jack of all trades run, but I’ve done warlock twice so far(I like warlocks, ok?) and I know I’d just play it like a budget warlock, spamming eldritch blast without the pact boons.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I noticed when I tried to open battle that my beast slaying arrow wouldn't work because the minotaur wasn't a beast, but also that Hold Person wouldn't work because it's not a humanoid. It's... something else?

They're a 'monstrosity', IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The Bonecloak stuff is part of the game that particularly sticks in my mind cos the basic premise - abusive man falls to dementia and is in turn abused by his wife - does happen IRL, but unlike in real life she has easy access to a cure and won't give it to him. And unlike most of the decisions offered in this game none of the possible outcomes for them are actually good. So the whole thing is lowkey pretty hosed up

"Abusive husband dies and the widow gets a cat" seems pretty decent to me tbh.