Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

It would seem that contrary to assumption, Swen wasn't directly calling out WOTC/Hasbro as their reasons for not continuing with DLC + BG4. I'd wager there's probably a lot of staff fatigue prompting them to move in a new direction, since Larian has been working on the game for 8 years at this point.

This was my assumption, honestly. Larian isn't an MMO studio, ready and willing to work on the same game for 20+ years and still keep going. "Okay, we've spent the last 8 years working on ONE. GAME. God I can't wait to do LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

She also has some of the most beautiful and poetic lines in the game to say about Karlach.

I do remember seeing a clip about this. And holy goddamn, she sounds absolutely devastated about Karlach preferring to die than go back to Hell. An appropriate reaction, but goddamn

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Yyyyyup, instant game over if it's your main character. I'm guessing that extends to any player's Main Character in a co-op run, since while I haven't tested it, I'm assuming that a character who surrenders body and mind/soul can't be resurrected.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So uhh... I was worried going into (act 3) Raphael's fight. Turns out... I really shouldn't have been. He didn't take an action all fight long. I will fully admit I savescummed to get Yurgir on my side with that DC30 check, because I thought I would NEED him to stand a chance. I could have taken him. No problem. By the time I took out the pillars, and dismantled all the Cambions (two banished by Hope, and Korilla utterly murdered by Yurgir), Raphael had spent two turns breaking free from back-to-back Hold Monsters... and then I realized his Inevitable Resolve doesn't apply to Hideous Laughter. Considering the DC for that from my Bardstarion is sitting at 21, and then climbed up to 24 a turn or two later... Raphael was never getting up again. The five Fiend-Slaying Arrows I saved for him from my Gloomstalker Tav turned out to just be a time-saving measure. I think after all that, I'm legally obligated to choose the "I was expecting him to put up more of a fight" dialogue option with Hope afterward.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I had to reload that fight a dozen times, every time I tried hitting him with the laughter a cambion would swat me out of it and break my concentration. was the hardest fight in the game for me except maybe grief.

Part of the trick is that you can split up your party and position them wherever you want in the room before starting it. I think I simply had more appealing targets closer to the ones on that side. (namely, they all seemed to go after Karlach instead.)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Important detail that can save some time: If you have access to the "Arcane Gate" spell by any means, the Gondian prisoners will use it properly. A bunch of scrolls of Dimension Door can help too. And remember, that proximity is irrelevant when using items from other party members' inventory via the tab screen. Lae'zel would be able to use a scroll out of Gale's bags from across the battlefield no problem.

As for me... I'm about ready to head into the finale. Need to decide who I'm taking with me... unless I decide "screw it" and grab the party size limit mod and just take everybody.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So... question. Act 1 stuff, but I'll spoiler it anyway just in case.

I wanna trigger the attack on the Grove, but side with the Tieflings/druids. There's a lot I want to make sure I get done beforehand, but the main thing on my mind is Halsin. Does anything happen to him if I do the raid on the grove before finding him? Or can I safely wait until after the raid to release him? I figure I should make sure to do anything else involving the Grove and the Goblins before that, too, naturally. I also plan to knock Minthara out and recruit her later, and I know I can do that at the Grove Raid. I want Sazza to survive too, I know I have to defend her to Minthara at the Goblin Camp, but does Sazza join the raid too? I can knock her out too, I'm just curious.

...Also, can I poison the booze tub and still trigger the raid?

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 18, 2024

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zodium posted:

before approaching minthara, do everything in the goblin camp, including poisoning the tub and assassinating everyone, except in minthara and droz's rooms, for a hefty chunk of experience and gold. do talk to droz before that too obviously. then talk to minthara, have her spare sazza, go talk to sazza in the center room, talk to minthara, wait for her to leave, kill droz, go to the grove, long rest, find doni and the other small pre raid stuff, then walk up on the wall and trigger the raid.

I take it from this that basically the ONLY thing that needs to happen for the Raid to occur is for Minthara to depart? As long as she leaves, I can then go on and murder the entire rest of the goblin camp with no issues? I figure killing Gut has no real consequences, so I can deal with her, do the rest of the stuff, send Minthara on her way, then kill Dror Ragzlin, and still get everything I want. Sounds good! Thanks.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been keeping an eye on this game for a long time but I'm concerned about two things:

1. Are traditional magic user classes worthless (as they are in most D&D type games) because they get to cast one spell and then have to camp? I don't want to have to load every inventory slot with camping supplies and rest after every single battle just so my wizard can do more than cast Magic Missile once and then hit people with their staff.

2. Are you going to miss out on loads of content if you don't heavily research the game and the lore? Things like "oh you killed that ogre that tried to eat your party? Sorry, you can't reach max level for any of your characters!" or "when you finished that conversation you were supposed to tap three times on the brick wall, type a command into an invisible text box and then walk backward off the left side of the screen."

In regards to casters, while they do have limited Spellslots, they also have Cantrips (think Level 0 spells) that you can use infinitely. While there are no Healing Cantrips, every caster class has access to attacking Cantrips, so you're never out of attacking options for your casters.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you for the info. You have saved me from re-installing Fallout 4. Again. I will try to resist reading about all the theorycrafting for which characters should be which classes because I would probably drive myself crazy.

Unless there's some really important decisions that a new player would regret missing out on for their first playthrough. :ohdear:

Main things to keep in mind are:

1) The game will generally warn you when you are hitting Main Plot Stuff that will advance the world state. In other words: clean up any loose ends before doing this because some quests will close early if you advance the main plot. It'll be a big pop-up.

2) This one is... technically a minor spoiler, but without context, it doesn't mean much. Late Act 1 and early Act 2, the game will make a big deal about you going to a place called Moonrise Towers. Don't psyche yourself into thinking that's the big "Point Of Plot Progression" that makes you miss out on stuff; it's not. Go there early. There's stuff to do there that you can miss out on. I myself made this mistake in my first run, and had to revert to an older save when I failed to heed both this tip, and 1).

3) If you come across an Urgent Event that is happening right over there, like someone under attack, or Trapped in a Quickly Lethal Situation, try to resolve that before leaving or taking a Long Rest, or you may miss out on that situation due to "you didn't save them so guess what". Otherwise, almost nothing is urgently timed, and you can Long Rest as much as you want.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, the biggest concern on that note will be when you want to bring thematically appropriate characters to a quest that doesn't actually directly involve any of them, but also want to have a functional party composition. But in that case at least, there's no one who'll be upset at being left behind, so it's just a case of "who do I want to bring, the thematically appropriate characters, or the characters that will make this easier?"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Medullah posted:

Gale can scream as a wild barbarian

...technically.

He really should stick to books.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cash crab posted:

also i started a durge run and oh yeah. hell yeah. tav is fine but i love the extra layer of having to like, interact with your own character. i love the option to ask for roasted dwarf instead of gruel.

You can grab some from the Goblin Party, even. Though unless you kill everyone at the party first, it's tagged as stealing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

The Shame Boy posted:

Whats the easiest way to get Jaheira as a party member nowadays? Is it still just keeping her alive through the last part of Act 2? Can you still not use a resurrection scroll on her if she dies as your companion as well? Because that's what got me on my first playthrough when this first came out.

Get her to follow you in battle, and she'll be treated as a pet/summon instead of acting on her own, allowing you MUCH greater control over her survivability. Not sure about rezzing her, though. Best to avoid finding out, IMO.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

wizard2 posted:

Ive missed this so far, but according to BG3 Wiki, (yes, thats right.... 🤓) Tav DOES exist in the plot!

as an easily felled victim of the Dark Urge prior to the events of the game :rip:

I'm curious as to where this specific tidbit comes from, I poke through that wiki a fair bit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

wizard2 posted:

having trouble sourcing it on BG3 Wiki now, so I dont know how canon it was? but it had something to do with the Blood In Baldur's Gate webthing, I guess, which Fandom kindly preserved a crude copy/paste for us elsewhere:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Tav

Interesting. I guess they interpreted Tav and the "detective" from the Blood In Baldur's Gate ARG as being the same character, though I don't know how canon that is. Especially considering the ARG takes place 15 years before BG3.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Black Noise posted:

Noblestalk cures duke Ravenguard and is capable of using scrolls this way as well

if you mean Him getting stunned if you try to save him after breaking Wyll's Pact, I honestly just walk him out of his prison, trigger the scene, then have whoever's over there use a Dimension Door scroll to get him away from the danger. I hoard scrolls like a Dragon, so I had like... 12 of the drat things by the time I went into the Iron Throne in my last game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Eau de MacGowan posted:

how the heck do you keep nere alive?

ive tried five times and every single time he gets blooted into the magma

is it even worth keeping him alive?

If you really want to lean into it, keeping him alive and loyal to the Cult gets you an extra Parasite... which you can also get by killing him. Keeping him alive and getting him to abandon the cult has the worst rewards of any outcome.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Y'know, it's really a shame that you can only have Astarion kill Gandrel in a cutscene if you don't know he's a Vampire. It's a fun little scene. "It WASN'T a good experience." "...That bad, huh?" "That bad."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cash crab posted:

i have never tested but apparently if you interact with the cleric while buck naked you receive an extra bonus to charisma and constitution and some interesting dialogue with shadowheart and astarion who are both apparently very into the entire process

Shadowheart and Astarion offer their commentary regardless, though only one of them. For the bonus to the checks, you just need to remove your Armor. Gloves and boots and hat and stuff can stay on.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Been playing with both an expanded party (taking everyone along), and one of the mods that lets you set party members to AI control.

It was funny seeing Karlach throw a bunch of Alchemist Fire around in the final fight down there.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I just don't like to do it because my characters are usually recreations of characters I've made elsewhere, and them losing an eye just... doesn't feel right. ...If I ever make my Elf Paladin though, he's 100% going through with it.

Also, I have made a DISCOVERY about that AI Party members mod I just mentioned. Turns out, if you let them hold that Zhentarim Chest from Act 1, they might just decide to open it, and toss that Vial inside and release the Spectator! I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Wait a drat minute! The chest is still locked! DID SHE LOCKPICK IT MID-COMBAT??? Or does the AI just ignore that? KARLACH? EXPLAIN???

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
From what I understand about Wyll, if he doesn't become Duke and you finish his story to the point where he names himself the Blade of Avernus, he ends up going to Avernus for his own rampage, even if he doesn't go with Karlach. So if the player goes with her, I think Player and Karlach are doing their thing together, while Wyll is in Avernus too, but doing his own thing. Because at the party after my first run, Wyll was clearly talking like he's been in Avernus, but clearly hasn't been with Karlach and I for it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ashcans posted:

For Wyll I rescued his Dad and helped him break his pact, but then didn't do the thing with the dragon path. He did not end up going to Avernus or becoming the Duke, having lost his Warlock powers he became a Ranger on the Sword Coast and wanted to tell me about his cool adventuring at the party

It's a shame you have to actively skip content to get that ending for him. I'm the sort of person that hates skipping quests or areas to explore, or big fun fights. I don't think I could bring myself to skip the Ansur fight. He still wanted to tell me about his adventures at the party, but it was his adventures in Avernus, instead.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Goa Tse-tung posted:

they patched that, he now shows up in the cutscenes with both of you, his text at the party is the same though

Uhh, evidently I missed out on some other requirement for this then, because I finished the game like... a week or two ago, and this did not happen. I didn't get the option for this.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cash crab posted:

congrats dude! i play explorer because i am a dumbass who is also a pussy

also because my irl alignment is chaotic good playing as durge kills me. please stop making my dating sim so hard

Could always play a Durge that resists the Urge. Don't gotta lean into the murderfantasies every time.

As for difficulty, I played Balanced my first time, and honestly the only reason I bumped it up to Tactician this time is because I'm running with an Expanded Party, so I've got *everyone* with me.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Snowy posted:

For someone like me who is bad at videogames that Grym fight was annoying. Trying to get him to go under the hammer thing then having him repeatedly take another step off wasn’t fun. If I ever replay I’m doing the cheeselordiest option I can come up with.

Now I have to figure out how to forge a second item. Sadly I’m away for a week now and can’t keep going. I’m just listening to Real Lich Hours and wishing I could get back to playing.

All you need is a second bit of Mithril; eject the first Mold with the Lever, put in a new mold and the mithril, then just slam the hammer again. Just... gotta make sure there's the Lava out, too. There are two bits of Mithril in the surrounding area, just gotta find them both.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, Astarion volunteered* to be my brain-worm eater, since I feel like Zehra would refuse to use them even if she kinda-mostly trusts the Dream Guardian, and the other companions I've picked up so far don't seem the type...maybe Gale would, idk an- oh god I'm RPing in an RPG what the hell's happened to me :psyduck: In all seriousness, I don't really, well, RP in games normally, so the character-building in this game must be doing something right.

To be fair, Astarion and Gale are legit the two party members you don't need to Convince to dive in for that. Everyone else you need to pass at least one persuasion check.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

It's somewhat tedious to get him to actually stand under the mallet without Command or a movement-impairing spell like Ray of Frost. And if you already have a Cleric that can cast Command, then you can also just use Silence and completely negate his legendary action anyway, letting your melee wail on him.

The worst part of trying to get him under the hammer is when he ends up positioned just so, that no matter which direction you get him to move, he walks right past the drat thing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

through some broken scripting he would somtimes come on VERY STRONG in a way that basically came across as gaslighting/stalky and yes, horny.

also she felt a little blindsided by the bit where he offers to teach you some magic at camp, and she literally just though going for it would give her access to a cantrip or something.

The whole "Magic lesson" scene had to be modified so that there was a way out of it that was, and I quote, "somewhere in between kissing him and kicking him in the head". Because there kinda wasn't initially.

But yeah, Gale was initially literally bugged to trigger his Romance flags too easily.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
A thought occurs. I've got three barrels full of drunk kobold sitting in Karlach's inventory. I need to decide when will be the funniest time to deploy these.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, the people saying recruiting Minthara in a Good Run is difficult or obscure are working with old information. Originally, it involved shenanigans with Polymorph or something. Then it was changed so that you had to make her Temporarily Hostile in the Goblin Camp and knock her out there.

Now, as long as you just Knock her out instead of killing her, that's literally all you need to do.

(though people have stated this a few times, that's what I get for just skimming the last page or so instead of actually reading through it before posting)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 25, 2024

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm still just sad the Werewolf Halfling Bard companion got cut. That would have been awesome.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As far as I can tell, Ascended Astarion simps fall into one of two categories.

1) Taken in by his over-the-top suave attitude and pompous, theatrical presentation, and either don't understand or don't care about how much of a bastard he becomes, because they're focused entirely on the surface.

2) BDSM Fetishists who are going "dominate me harder vamp-daddy" and choose to ignore the fact that he ain't gonna respect your Safe Word.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I hoard consumables because it simply doesn't occur to me to use them. I've taken to giving more and more scrolls to my party members because with the AI control mod I'm using, at least they'll probably use them! Some more likely than others though. I had AI Shadowheart holding some defensive buff scrolls for ages and she never touched them. But it's possible I just didn't give her a fight where they'd be useful? They were Protection from Good and Evil.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

tarbrush posted:

I ended up doing it as I couldn't figure out how to get past the door. Ended up glad I did cause it was inadvertently very funny.

Fight the big guy, stupidly let all his minions buff him including sanctuary. Bit worried I've hosed it right at the end, then within his first couple of attacks he takes a swing and a miss at Bae'zel, who ripostes, crits, activates paralysing critical which doesn't offer a save, and then fillets him with 6 action surged guaranteed crits.

Honestly? Letting his minions buff him is probably the smarter move. Each one that dies gives him a better buff. One causes him to heal a bunch every time he attacks, another grants him permanent haste, and another buffs his AC by 6. These are all things that happen when his minions die. I say, let them buff him.

But this is a pretty hilarious outcome.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Random thought. Any idea what Oath of Paladin Zevlor is? I know for most of the game he has none because of his backstory, but then if you summon him in the finale, he's powered up again. But I either didn't think to look and see if I could figure out which Oath he is, or couldn't figure it out. Are there signs of which one he is, or does he stick to generic Paladin stuff without any features or abilities from any of the specific Oaths?

As an aside, in my first run, Zevlor got the killing blow on The Emperor. I am so goddamn proud of my boy.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Reveilled posted:

I think he uses Aura of Devotion, which makes him Oath of Devotion. Makes sense with how Zevlor struggles.

Realized I had a save I could reload and take another look. I didn't think to look at Auras, I saw like, five different Auras or something so I figured "okay, he's probably just using like, EVERY Aura or something". But, I did see him cast Beacon of Hope - which does confirm Oath of Devotion. Another look confirms you're right about the Aura, too.

Saw the Generic Paladin with him use Misty Step though, which means they're either Ancients or Vengeance. (EDIT: Actually, there's no Aura of Warding, so he's got to be Vengeance. Again... fits for the Hellriders.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Oh, also I tried that method to save alfira playing durge where you kill the durge once she visits camp and the next morning he's still dead but so is alfira lol

Doesn't Sceleritas kill Alfira himself instead if something like this happens? Or am I misremember/misunderstanding things? But yeah, knocking her out with non-lethal damage before the Long Rest where she shows up does the trick. Quil Grootslang shows up instead.

From what I've seen, it looks like the trigger for Alfira to show up in camp is simply for you to have met and talked to Kahga for the first time, whether or not you've actually found Alfira in the Grove. There is the matter of Camp Night Events stacking up, and figuring out which one's next in the queue... but Alfira seems to have pretty high priority.

EDIT: In regards to the House of Hope stuff... Turns out ol' Raph is very, very vulnerable to Hideous Laughter. If you have a bunch of gear that pumps up your Spell Save DC, you can potentially get it so high that Raph literally can never escape it, even with a Nat 20. I had Bard-starion, who managed to get his DC up to 24, though I don't know how. Earlier in the fight it was 21, so something was inflating his DC mid-fight.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 27, 2024