Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I threw Kethrics dead dog at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

I will say on the note of being a loot goblin, it would be really nice if you could check a box to filter out stuff you sold to the vendors. With my proclivities it was kind of a nightmare at endgame to look through their inventories to find like, alchemy ingredients and stuff.

Is there a platform that doesn’t have buttons at the top of the trade screen to filter for alchemy ingredients?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Started honor mode, playing Astarion, picked up Gale and Laez and Shart and figured I’d make for the Grove and get what gear and potions and exp I could there before planning my next move.

Nearly wiped to the pissant goblins. Both Laez and Ast were downed, a sleep spell from Gale gave me enough of a break from their archers to get everyone back up and then NPCs chucked a few health potions my way (after I probably no longer needed them tbh).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Karlach was my main and I picked her.

Orpheus is a prick, but leading the Gith rebellion/revolution/whatever seemed like a good thing too, and it's hard to see how that would happen with him as a mind flayer.

Karlach's on borrowed time, and a sacrifice that saves the world, helps a misled people, and *potentially* buys her a new lease on life seemed like a thing she'd do.

Or you can just go to Avernus together and hump all night and kill lemures all day.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lmao that owns

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What’s the best bow build ignoring the hand crossbows? Gloom 7 Thief 5?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Swords bard is amazing for ranged builds. Slashing Flourish (Ranged) lets you shoot at two targets or twice at the same target with +1d6-10 (based on bard level) bonus damage on each shot. So you can double your number of attacks as long as you've got Inspiration charges to burn. You'll run out of Inspiration in 2-3 turns most likely but that's okay. Nothing can really match Swords bard for ranged damage output afaik it works kind of like a paladin smiting but for ranged, you can dump resources into a ton of damage.

What's the utility in going Thief 5 if you're not using hand crossbows? What are you using the extra bonus action for if not an offhand crossbow attack?

I think dash and hide so you can guarantee a sneak attack every round is why people do it but not sure since I haven’t done it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just got the returning pike so decided to go throwbarian, is there any MCing that really benefits that? Thief for the extra bonus action?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In the whispering depths I just noticed the location where you can climb down a cragged rock and wade in the river but as far as I can tell there isn't anything down here and it doesn't lead anywhere, am I missing something?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

dragonborn animations are awesome and it's a bummer there are so few of them in the game

also if you equip a hat it sits on top of their head in a very silly way

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

2730 for the graceful cloth on HM jesus christ these prices are killing me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Horace Kinch posted:

Your good buddy Asterion is pretty good at getting a 5-finger discount.

Not in act 1 he ain't.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Turds in magma posted:

The second I showed up at moonrise there was a big epic battle at the front gates and I killed everyone.

So what is everyone talking about with the freeing people and the potions and the Drow lady etc etc etc is this a different game?

You shouldn’t have done that. You did a bad thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wouldn’t stop playing BG3 over the Christmas holiday and now my mom is really mad at me I wish I was a Warlock so I could cast Hunger of Hadar on her and then Shadowheart and I could run away together.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Robobot posted:

My buddy and I were actually just talking about this the other day. My stance is that since Jergl, the god of death, straight up tells you mindflayers don't have souls that explicitly means they're not the same people they were before they changed. They may have some memories from them, they may not be 100% evil, but they are soulless aberations in the most literal sense.

So if you made Karlach become a mind flayer you’re a horrible monster that murdered Karlach.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does anyone else think that a githyanki great sword should be worth more than 40x a rotten carrot?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are there any sort of succinct lists of these sorts of things:

1. Items you may want to pick up from vendor x during act y because you may want them later? Thinking about stuff like the best hand crossbows if I decide I want to dual wield those later, or maybe sword of life stealing or something.

2. All the events that you want to take specific characters to like the stuff for Shadowheart and Karlach are no brainers but I think there's some stuff that taking Gale and Wyll to that aren't quite as obvious?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was legit surprised I was able to run off to Avernus with her I was sure she was going to choose death over going back.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

Those guys are dicks, you can turn them hostile really easily, so I killed them all. I might have been playing a good guy, but I still don't take any guff.

they are dicks tried to give them their flask and they said “You weren’t supposed to open the box, now you have to kill all of us” so I did.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

I never got that scene with Karlach. It's crazy how much content you can miss in this game if you just do one playthrough.

I’m on my third and still finding stuff I missed. Like I never found the matching lovers ring in act 2 until now.

Tons of stuff I missed on my first play through despite trying to be thorough. I missed the act 1 Zhents completely my first play through. And that area in act 1 that relates to Kagha. And the BOOOAL.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I failed my animal handling roll when it showed up injured. Is it over for me goons?

Yep, as far as I can tell. I failed it too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There's ~650 gold worth of incense in Shar's temple.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Another thing that's really handy for Honour mode runs is to keep a supply of Invisbility Potions on hand.

And along with that, use a Hireling to be your potion person so you get a good chance of double prizes each time. I'm at the end of Act 2 in HM and despite looting every loving rotten tomato in the realm and spending very sparingly I only have about 20k gold which isn't going to go far in Act 3 based on what I've seen.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My wife is 5 months pregnant and I’m pushing for a BG3 related name so far got it narrowed down to:

Karlach
Brinna
Necromite

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

RevolverDivider posted:

and was out of gold

How do you even let that happen are you buying every green piece of trash gear off every vendor

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AgentHaiTo posted:

This is true, I have Laezel as her straight up battlemaster single class, and she always pulls the team thru the tough times. I think it's a combination of mobility (cause she can get anywhere she wants with all her gith powers) and so many powerful attacks. Right now she has GWM and Risky Ring and with the Maneuver gloves (that give disadvantage to enemies trying to save from her maneuver affects), so if she starts off with the frighten or the prone, that enemy is pretty much done for, and she enough attacks to just keep going. In one fight, she just took out 3 enemies in one round, she's a better bhaalspawn than my fancy bard-paladin.

EDIT: Also, get that Voss silver sword for Laezel, it's great.

Karlach really comes alive as throwbarian and the extra bonus move from 3 levels of thief. The bonus helps her position in case she needs to and if not, 4 attacks every round. Previous play throughs I just had her as straight barbarian using mostly melee and she was always clearly second rate DPS but now she is extremely clutch and the three levels of thief are enough for most needs so you don’t need a dedicated Astarion or anything.

Just got to act 3 and can’t wait to see what she does with a weapon upgrade.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Entropic posted:

I do love the item descriptions in this game. Always read the item descriptions, even for mundane items.

Has this been posted in the GBS egg thread for egg related topics about eggs?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can you sacrifice yourself to BOOOAL

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is anyone using the Hellrider longbow just to add the +3 initiative for Laez or Karlach while they're meleeing or throwing? I haven't been paying enough attention to initiative to know if that'd really be useful or not. It's obviously not good for Act 3 damage and 2170 gold for it is a pretty big chunk.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Entropic posted:

in the very early game you pick up a fighter, a wizard, a barbarian, and a warlock for your party that are all pretty solid, as well as a rogue and a cleric that can be respecced to be good, so whatever class you pick for your PC you'll be able to build a party that covers melee tanking and spellcasting.
Just pick whatever looks fun to play, and accept that your first playthrough is not going to be optimally min-maxed because you don't know everything that's going on yet, and that's fine.
Also there's an NPC you meet extremely early in the game who hangs out at your camp and can re-spec any character for 100 gold at any time, which is basically free. So if your character build isn't doing it for you, you can just switch to something else.

Basically free? Did you not read the post from the guy that had to suck off the entire orc camp to afford a revive?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Act 3 Boss HM Ansur taken down by level 10s. Due to Karlach missing a throw and getting low damage on her other 3 the killing blow was taken by SH and I thought I was done for when he popped right back up and started gathering power. Is that HM only or did I just forget about it? SH was last in my lineup so I couldnt do any extra healing or positioning and I thought it was going to wipe me for sure but nearly everyone survived and Ansur died next turn. PC is Anstarion as a Sorcadin so maybe will do Cazador next. Or maybe House of Hope.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

htf you get a dislocated shoulder?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wish Raph would have some sort of reaction to me refusing his deal and then immediately walking back into his room so I can scoop up all the loose silverware and clothing.

Don't mind me buddy just grabbing a little vendor trash, still thinking about your offer! See you later!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Qubee posted:

I know the core principle of D&D is dice rolling, but man does it really take the wind out of the experience when you just have stupid bad RNG despite the odds seeming drastically in your favour. I don't play with karmic dice because supposedly it makes the enemies hit like trained navy seal snipers. It's not like I'm getting very many situations where the exact opposite happens and I pull off a very clutch dice roll that makes me feel invincible. Most of the time, it's just crushing defeat and embarrassment after one another, and I'll roll a nat 20 on something inconsequential.

I've got no idea how this mechanic could be improved to be less frustrating since it is basically just RNG, but it feels like the XCOM series where you can be right next to an enemy with all the stars aligned and manage to whiff three times in a row despite a solid 80% chance to hit.

Git gud

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

At the Devil's Fee is there any disadvantage to just stealing the stuff and not paying the 10k? I've always just paid but money is tight enough right now on HM I'd rather keep the money but if it's gonna piss off Helsik or make her refuse to sell to me in the future or something I'll begrudgingly pay it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

roomtone posted:

how do you multiclass? that doesn't just mean the subclass you choose, right? cos i'm seeing people talk about combining mage and warrior and that doesn't seem to work.

is there a discrete second class you can take and add to your stats with? also, how do i reclass party members?

There are a few characters/classes that really come alive with a little bit of multi classing. Karlach and Monk probably my favorite, taking 3 levels into thief to get an extra bonus attack, and one that prones in Karlach's case.

Getting a character a few thief levels also means you largely don't have to "waste" a slot on Astarion's usually lackluster DPS (or you can just multiclass him into a Monk).

There are some fights you're going to stumble onto that you're just not the right level for and you should come back later for but there's also fights where you'll get your rear end whooped if you don't have the right party makeup or people are specced poorly or you're geared poorly.

It also depends on how you like to play, what I think of as the smart way vs the easy way. The smart way is using every advantage you can get like blindness and silence and walls of flames and throwing water on the ground for lightning attacks and dozens of other spells/conditions/etc to do "crowd control" and make all your actions more powerful/efficient.

The easy way, or maybe its the dumb way (which is what I personally usually prefer) is to just beat the living gently caress out of everything really hard and fast, by having a party specced towards that and liberal use of haste potions/spells. You don't need crowd control when you can kill 1/3 of the biggest encounters on the first turn. Tav as thief/monk, Karlach as thief/barb, Laez as straight fighter, and Shadow respecced to either Life or Light to keep people alive, works well at this. Tav Paladin or Paladin/Sorc or Pal/Warlock to smite the poo poo out of people also works well (this is what I'm currently playing). One of the Bard multiclasses also works great.

The biggest "problems" I had on my first run is when I was trying to play the dumb way with a party that was specced towards the smart way.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 2, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Black Noise posted:

You could also offer to bring her a souvenir and then steal that back. You could also steal the money back. Steal.

I never stole much during my first runs so I don't have a good feel for the mechanics and now on HM I'm too chicken to try it much. Last time I tried was with the Bonecloak lady in the underdark because it seemed pretty safe place to try and I failed over and over again. I just wanted that loving caustic ring without paying a ridiculous amount for it. I tried just stealing the ring, tried breaking up the gold into smaller amounts, just couldn't ever steal a single thing. Only thing I've successfully stole on this run is the ring from the Djinni.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Horace Kinch posted:

Asterion's DPS is the exact opposite of lackluster. Thief 8/Champion 4 with Knife of the Undermountain King/Sword of Lifestealing/The Dead Shot means you crit on rolls of natty 17, give him chances to attack with advantage and there's very little he won't oneshot with a sneak attack critical.

Except that dude didn't know how to multiclass and probably doesn't have any of those weapons so for him right now Asterion's DPS is probably toilet water from the toilet store.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

House of Hope at 12 on HM was easier than Grief at 11 or Ansur at 10 imo. Didn't save Hope though for the first time, she pretty much got one shotted by Raph on the second turn. Which allowed me to find out she has the only +4 shield in the game, third time through and still seeing new stuff. Vic's fortress is probably better for SH though and I don't currently have anyone else using a shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ginette Reno posted:

Current hm run is going pretty well. Hit level 5, finished goblin camp. Did the first Underdark area. I actually went to the Underdark before finishing the Hag or goblin camp. There's easy xp and loot down there and if you use Glut to animate a bulette or hook horror you can easily beat the Duergar village. You can probably beat them without it too at level 4 but Glut makes it safer.

Using Karlach as a throw Barbarian for the first time and this spec does disgusting damage. Tavern brawler is so op. My Wizard often just casts enlarge on her and lets her clear everything out

I always leave Ethel for last so I can keep buying potions of giant strength off her every day. Can pretty easily get enough for the entire rest of the game.