Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shard posted:

I just met Tara … and I love her and will kill anyone to protect her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pellisworth posted:

Larian patched the exploit where you could put a vendor's inventory into a pouch or other container and pay 1 gold for it

however you can still stuff their entire inventory into a pouch and pickpocket the pouch with a sleight DC of 1 :shepface:

note that you may end up encumbered.
Did they ever patch out buying their affinity up to positive then sleep-picking their entire inventory unopposed?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Don't feel bad about having trouble with the combat early. I'd played a few games like BG3 prior to starting and still had Shadowheart throwing javelins because :confused:

It sorta makes sense to keep her as Trickery until act 3 depending on how some choices go for you, because Turn Undead and a certain mace from the end of act 1 bulldoze enormous chunks of act 2.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Look at this guy who uninstalled

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Entropic posted:

lol do not do this without saving first and even then be careful, there are some that are permanently catastrophically debilitating like one that gives you a permanent +2 buff to STR but then adds a permanent -1 every time you long rest for the rest of the game.
I can’t recall there being more than two good potions in that entire roster, and “good” was “does not cause me permanent, specific harm”.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Black Noise posted:

Kind of meta gamey but you really miss a lot of cutscenes due to them being locked behind long rests.
Quoting this for my distant future self.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The collapsed tunnel and one other thing I can’t recall are affected by going to camp whether or not you long rest.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

e2: gently caress, sorry for being a jerk about it, it DOES progress Waukeen's Rest if you go to camp after triggering the burning building thing. that should be it though.
It's cool; I haven't played since the mirror patch.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Honour mode is a challenge mode for people familiar with the game.
Yeah I would give the same advice I did when beating God of War 3 Titan mode on release night: Don't. And that was a game with two prequels of familiar mechanics to lean on.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Maggy posted:

i'm like 25 hours in, but just happened to do something stupid

I had to redo the inquisitor fight for that, and I don’t regret it at all.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

grack posted:

Alrighty, another weird one:

Doing a new Honor Mode run, just because I wasn't happy with the way my first run went (everyone dead or gone!)

I was in the Zhentarim hideout and was clearing out the place, and fighting the second group near the locked treasure rooms at the back of the cave. One of the Zhents turned around and blew up an oil barrel that they were standing next to, killing not only themselves but also two of the wolves.

The game can be very amusing at times.
Gondian AI is spreading.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

They’re dicks. No one tells me I can’t open a box.
<Opens box>
You're not the boss of me!
<Opens flask inside box>
OUCH

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I had the goofiest outcome to the whole thing. I saved the two guys in the cave from the gnolls, but then stupidly used Detect Thoughts when talking to them and they freaked out and attacked me. So I had to murder them, but it was after they had given me the pass phrase for the hideout. So I opened the box, took the stuff with me, and when the Zhent asked about their pals I said 'Oh yea sorry they didn't make it, but I did save your package!' Only then they freaked out about not keeping it sealed up and attacked me! No one told me buddy, I am trying to be helpful here! So anyway then I had to kill them all, which was a mess. Oh well.
Picturing a Beholder playing Yakkity Sax

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Only one npc truly deserves murderhoboing and it's the one that wants to beat your dog
I have tried Bethesda Evil and nothing quite made me feel like a monster like surrendering Scratch. Fastest quickload of my life followed by “you touch ANY of these dogs and there won’t be enough left to sell to Raphael”.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

I think evil in this game ultimately feels less satisfying because you potentially just wipeout a shitton of characters and get basically nothing in return except for lolth drow mommy and miss out on later content involving NPCs that no longer exist.
“Evil is not rewarding” is a good indicator for any RPG if you ask me.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thundarr posted:

Can anybody think of something that would cause a warlock's Mage Armor (from Armor of Shadows) to spontaneously fall off?
It is an exceptionally horny game...?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EorayMel posted:

He loves it when you sleep with Mizora, but he doesn't love it as much as when Astarion knows about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8MO0gwD35U

Just occurred to me: Can an origin PC Karlach or Wyll bang with Mizora?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think Globe of Invulnerability is a good counterexample to your argument, but I’ll admit I don’t know how well it holds up since the last few patches / in Honour Mode.

Even then you’re best off having your weakest hitter cast Globe while Gale zaps a bunch of wet enemies who another character hit with Perilous Stakes. Do right, no can defend.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mycot posted:

Is there any way of making Astarion useful in his default class short of outright respeccing him? I gave him two fancy daggers but rogues seem extremely limited especially since they don't get the double attack at level 4, and since I'm already playing as Bard I already have a lockpick and traps guy.
I remade him into a Bard playing as Rogue Tav. Are you looking to stay in somewhat-sensible roleplaying, or do you just want to min-max?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’m sure the shadowcurse will see it that way!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Deuce posted:

Also after like five hundred hours in this game I just learned YOU CAN SHOP USING CASH THAT IS IN YOUR CAMP CHEST YOU DON'T HAVE TO CARRY IT WITH YOU AAAA
:aaa: literally half to 2/3rds of Tav's carry weight in my first game

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

I would absolutely die if someone modded this in and it turned out they had fully voiced dialogue responses to poo poo in act 1 and 2.
Mass Effect 2 had this because they had to split the recruitments to fit within the 360's DVD limit.

10 Beers posted:

Poor Wyll. Destined to always get horns cause I can't not get Karlach.
Wyll's a good dude who sees how he got played right away. I'm sure he's happier with Karlach than a smooth forehead.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Maybe he's way more frustrating on Tactician / Honour, but I always found Destroy Undead and a couple rounds of Counterspell did wonders.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DarkHorse posted:

Karlach is the sweetest, kindest, most lovable brick shithouse who will ever throw a car at me and I will deserve it

Lae'zel is a desert cactus who needs just a little bit of care and tenderness to show her true love and then she steps on you like a bug
Ladies; you can BOTH marry me!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Minsc had a harder time fitting into my lineup than loving Legion, who you pick up at most two missions before the endgame if you want to save the crew. It helps that the two obvious ones are "Take them on the migrant fleet as a flex" and their personal loyalty mission. Minsc comes out of the box as a class that makes no sense for his in-game behaviour on account of BG1/2, and if you send him to Withers he still has to compete with Karlach and Lae'zel. Maybe he's a welcome relief if you made some incredibly bonehead Durge moves but I can't see him sticking around for long in those cases either?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 20, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

I made him a tavern monk; it seems to fit him well. I can see it being awkward on a first playthrough but this second time around I just planned to use different folks in different parts of the game; to spread things around a little.

His being a ranger definitely doesn’t make any sense at all any more; nor does his stat distribution.
I went dual-wield Tiger and Wolverine Barbarian with STR as a dump stat and a certain mace to pin it back at 18 and benefit from the poison attacks. Still felt kinda flat vs the starting lineup.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Node posted:

Same with Karlach, you do one nice thing and she wants to bone you.
Karlach has spent the last decade without nice things so this is probably a realistic reaction when you treat her inf% nicer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

You can get this specific ending as a githyanki MC that romances Lae'zel.
It's really too bad the Gith resistance doesn't see the value in a level 12 auxiliary.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mitochondritom posted:

Everything about the brain made me think of this Futurama episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bSzsvlg2M

https://youtu.be/1r65O2FSCqs

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 6, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

roomtone posted:

you know what is annoying

people being like 'lol i played as 4 gnomes and just did all the evil choices' 'here's how the underdark reacts to 50 INSANE DROWS'

no none of that happened and if it did, the only reasons you sat there and pushed yourself through it was for 'content', it's both agonising and boring to actually do

you played a more or less good whatever and agonised over all the difficult choices, like everybody else

these games are actually fun and the need to have a clickbait headline that is vaguely backed up is killing everything in life
One extremely clickbait BG3 account pops up on the sidebar from time to time and I ignore it as I continue listening to the extended mix of Raphael's Final Act.

(Actually haven't seen it in a while since I just ripped an MP4 and listen locally now.)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
the Grey Goo scenario, but for SEO

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DarkHorse posted:

I accidentally killed her because 1) I didn't know she was a potential party member until I looted her underwear and 2) she was where I learned the non-lethal setting doesn't apply for ranged/elemental damage.

Spared a bunch of lovely goblins and murked a fellow drow :/
Weird; at release you could only loot her clothes if you KO'd her instead of killing her.

Is she recruitable independently of the grove now if you KO her?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DarkHorse posted:

I saw someone say that's how you could recruit her without doing a genocide. Knock her out and then she shows up again in a later act

And she was definitely dead not KO'd because I picked up her parasite. She was the only one who didn't have stars either
I remember she bails and gets put on the block at Moonrise even if you do said genocide so it's weird they didn't work this out in time for launch.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I KO’d her completely unintentionally both times I played Act 1 by using Pommel Strike.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's with everyone's hate for RTWP?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

The Human Reaper was cool, haters stay mad.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’ll be honest I had no problem with the end boss of ME2. If it weren’t for my fond memories of ME3 multiplayer it would be one of my fav RPGs of all time
FYI there are still people playing as of early last year, and I have still yet to get a Harrier to drop.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I basically just made that heavy armor mage that just annihilates everything with melee in DAO and never paused
Don’t forget Mana Clash for instantaneous Magical Supremacy in any fight.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mitochondritom posted:

Based on the sheer number of possible endings, it's going to be challenging to do a straight up continuation.
Dragon Age: Origins did this somehow but I'll be honest I never played the expansion. By the time I got to it I was exceptionally burnt out on the game having beaten it twice recently.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Black Noise posted:

Astarion liberating and definitely not stuck fighting 7,000 Vampires in a 2nd times the charm quest. :allears:
Supreme Cazador / Supreme Astarion / 7777 Undead World Is A gently caress could easily be 20hrs of content.

e: last scenario might not work if you kept Shadowheart around and she can send them all screaming with their hair on fire.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

true resurrection scroll
Was this added in recent updates so Gale can attend the party...?