Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just met Tara in my Galethrough and I love her and will kill anyone to protect her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Paracausal posted:

thanks for the new op!
still crawling through my durge run and gee, they're not holding back huh

I don't know where you are but I can safely say its going to get worse

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol on my Galethrough Astarian tries to drink my blood but apparently I taste like poo poo.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I beat the game modless and am still trudging along on my tactician run on PS5 so I have my game modded all out on pc. Got all the class and race unleashed mods, no veins, feat every level, no party limit. It rules.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Played this game for over 270 hours and took countless characters through Act 1, and this was the first time I ever bothered to assemble the frost staff in the Underdark or found those weird little murloc cultists. Insane!

I just did the staff too! I had never clicked on the item before

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol ok so this is something I'm just gonna live with. On my honor run I decided to try something new and attack the druids when they were threatening the kid. This ends with a grove civil war, the kid dead, the druids dead and a ton of Tieflings dead. Not all of them so they are like oh man that was nuts but thanks for the help. But they did kill Dammon so Karlach's engine aint getting fixed. Oh well. It was a hell of a battle and gently caress the druids.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What's up with the water queens cellar? Am I supposed to be getting bad vibes from this place because I am

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Well I just RIP'd my sorc run in the dumbest way possible. Got down into the Zhentarim hideout, failed an intimidation check, then my entire party got lit up by oil barrel explosions on the first turn before I could act. 25 hours gone in a flash. It was all going so well, too. Nothing to be done but immediately start up another campaign. :negative:

I just started a new campaign as a half elf drow because they have some of the best girl faces. And I'm already thinking about making a Dragonborn durge because I think the default build just looks so neat. They really made an alligator man expressive somehow.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Right my understanding is they didn't create a bunch of different permutations to get her to join your good party they just noticed people were doing weird hosed up glitch stuff to get it to work an decided to make the glitch stuff a little easier.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I turned the secret final party member from ACT 3 into a Monk. It's working out well

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I god the mod that tells you when there is an event at camp and somehow I had missed some! Did you know as Durge there is an event if you rest right after you look at the first dead body but before you get to the grove?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I read this and I can feel the dev teams annoyance with the interviewer lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Games journalists

My favorite was right at the beginning.

Interviewer: "So I think I'll just start with my girl, Karlach. I feel like she maybe it has grown the most since launch because she got a better ending, which was the ending I specifically went for or invading hell together, even though she friend zoned me. She got even a little more detail and everything. I know that most of her personal quest was cut out of Act 3..."

Swen Vincke, Director: "It was never cut."

Adam Smith, Lead Writer: "No."

SV: "It was never there."

Interviewer: "It was just never there."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I did an evil run where wyll betrays the grove. We were going all in on Wyllock.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just use the one feat to give people the blast and I'm good. Or just take two levels of warlock to get the real good blast.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Got to act 2 in my HM run. Some interesting things

Playing with the party limit begone mod you have some issues but none have bricked this run. First, sometimes when you rest you will just see everyone sleeping and it won't change. All you have to do is cycle through the other party members and eventually it fixes itself. Second - after you get on that boat to the Grymforge in the Underdark if you have all 7 party members with you three of them will disappear. To fix this, dismiss the party members who are there, get back on the boar and go back to the beach - that should do it.

In the Shadowlands I went straight to Moonrise because I wanted to see if I did the Minthara thing right. Problem was the damage is very real near the tower and half of my team died and turned into undead zombies. I saw this coming and split half the team away and let the others die and then fast traveled to try to res them. The option wasn't there and I noticed there names werent skulls on the npc list. So I switched to them and saw them wondering around with the status of undeath. Including my PC. What I had to do was go to moonrise, break into the necromancer's room and take the moonlantern. Then I had to go to my party members, kill them and then go back and res them. And it worked on 1 of them. But the other two were res'd as zombies! It's because I blasted them into water and I guess that didn't kill them and remove the status. I killed them right next to Withers who got hit a couple of times and was like "nicely hit well done" lol.

As for Minthara I have her in my party now, she stands very close to Halsin lol. I don't know if I'll be able to romance her though because I've already got a romance going with Shadowheart and me and Minthara didn't have the scene after the Grove. I should be able to figure it out after getting more approval from her.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm thinking of doing 1 cleric selune for mp purposes, 11 levels of vengeance paladin to get all the sick smites and two attacks. Anything else I should do instead of 11 paladins instead? I really like the enhanced smite attack.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Do githyanki characters have any special interactions with Dragonborn, since they're supposed to revere dragons?

yes. The gith are basically drooling over my dragonborn Durge. Even the queen bitch herself

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I turned Karlach into a Monk and she makes over exaggerated kung fu sounds it rules.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Last night I was able to start my romance with Minthara and with the help of the mod I am rolling with a 9 person party which is honestly a bit much lol. And I still have two party members to go. So I probably won't be using this mod in other playthroughs. BUT it's really good at seeing who comments on what and where especially in the third act.

I'm also seemingly romancing Minthara and Shadowheart at the same time so we'll see what happens there. Also I was able to save nathaniel with Halsin with Minthara in the party. I don't know if there will be a me or her moment in act 3 I'll let yall know when I get there.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Can’t wait to fight Gale in BG4 :allears:

One of my favorite things in this game was PLOT SPOILERS the scheme to take something that was a level boss in the previous games and find a way to take it to its logical conclusion and make it a big problem. You also get the idea that it's not really a world ending problem because this is a place with planes and other realities and gods and if it becomes too bad AO would just smack it down. But it is a problem for this city and the people in and around it. I hope if there is another game they find a way to have the issue be something that uses the rules of the place in interesting ways like they did here. I love getting to Moonrise towers, seeing that big pit in the ground and saying oh I remember poo poo like that underneath Amn and in the Underdark I bet there's a loving brain around the bend!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Use the mod where they don’t join in combat so you aren’t rolling over the game. Unless that’s like what you’re into.

I'm a freak. Right now I'm playing on pc with mods and a wemod trainer while on PS5 I've been plucking away at tactician and when I do finish that I'll probably try an honor mode run on that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Lore Bards are great because they can learn Magical Secrets at Level 6 for Counterspell and they already have the amazing Cutting Words, which combined ensures that nothing ever hits your party. Both of those are reactions so you can use your active turns for Haste or Confusion to lock down the entire enemy army. Their biggest drawback is that they have no innate shield proficiency and can’t wear anything above light armor, so consider potentially mixing in a meatier multiclass if you’re getting bomBARDed.

If anyone is looking to juice up their pc version - might I suggest the feat every level mod. It even has a ton of versions so maybe you just want a feat every two levels or at levels 3, 6, 9 and 12. Getting alert, mobile, athlete and tough at the same time make you feel like a god.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wish you could romance Alfira.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

On a PS5. Our interfaces are different, I think

I have it on PS5 here is what you do. When you cast speak with dead after that until a long rest everyone who is a corpse and has something to say will glow green so you know which ones to cast it on. Now you have two skills cast speak with dead and recast speak with dead.

If you get a spell for speak to dead it will be a menu with a submenu on the radial dial. Like disguise self. If you can't find it which sounds like the case here, go to a spot on the radial, click square I think to get the menu options, set skill, and look for recast speak to dead. It should be right next to the cast speak to dead.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno if my game bugged out or what but I was investigating that quest where someone puts the bombs in the toys in Act 3 and I got into the donation warehouse and found the bombs. A guard came in and questioned me about it but I told him there were bombs in the toys and he freaked out about it. However for some reason my conversation broke and before I could keep talking to him the whole warehouse went hostile. Since it's honour mode I had to massacre all those Flaming Fist. It at least appears to have not made all the other fists in the zone hostile though.

Did you talk to them before you went inside? You usually have to get permission

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I made it to the city with my no party limit mod and my god - they should be worried I'm about to be an invading army. Freaking justice league rolling through.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh man.. just finished the game

Act 3 was a little bit of a slog at times, and also it was a bit buggy (Shadowheart end quest spoilers): Shadowheart just always gave me every relationship dialogue option, including saying that we had a romance and never pursued it despite her being the only active romance and definitely very much going. The epilogue sorta bugged out a little as well and after speaking to Shadowheart the first time, I went back to tell her we were adopting the owlbear and she swapped over to her parents being alive and her still being cursed by Shar which was weird?

Despite that though, man what an incredible game. Easily my GOTY! Gonna pick up an evil run a few months from now/play it coop with my wife at some point

Edit: Also, (epilogue spoiler) who the heck is bing bong, the imp we apparently met in our married life post the end of the game? I feel like that's probably a reference to something that I just don't know?

Bing bong is from the podcast table top season the cast did a few months after the initial release

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Just got into Act 2 and met the goblin in the shadow-cursed lands.

If I wanted to get Minithara from Moonrise Towers as quickly as possible, what's the best and/or quickest way to do it without losing Isabel/getting Last Light massacred?

the shadow curse around the tower will really eat you up so you should get the blessing of selune first.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Khizan posted:

The drider’s moonlantern can get you through, I thought?

you are correct I forgot

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

My first Honor Mode run was RIP'd at the Zhentarim Hideout. Protip, do not get in a fight with the boss lady while you're standing below on the ground covered in oil barrels. Never even got a chance to react.

Second has been going well so far, Level 11 and in Act 3. Only real dicey thing past an unlucky Adamantine Forge fight was Ketheric. Made some bad decisions and didn't really read up on his legendary action before going in. Pulled it off eventually, though.

I think my next target is Sarevok, I remember that being a pretty easy fight and the loot he drops is phenomenal.
Still can't believe he's in this game. So cool

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

this made me giggle a lot. I am a sucker for LOTR stuff and these two specifically

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I beat hoh on honor. I was able to lock him down after the first move but his first move destroyed hope lol oh well.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I didn't know they removed that scene with Mol. I didn't get those vibes at all.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

800 hours in and I just saw a new scene. I'm pretty sure I killed the dwarf in red but now I just walked in on him doing a red dragon scene with a victim. How do I keep missing poo poo. Love this game

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vargatron posted:

I'm playing on Balanced right now. I think my problem is just the encounter design itself and not the difficulty. Just a lot if small things that add up. Fights either feel too easy or too hard with little median.

Honestly, I think I just wish the game had like a Real Time with Pause setting or something I could toggle. Kind of like Pathfinder.

I would hate this game with real time with pause. I hate the combat of the old bg games. This game let me learn and actually use spells and make strategies.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

After doing a run where I saved the tieflings and minthara, I honestly don't like it. The game doesn't feel like it was made to have that happen and instead feels like an easier way to do it so that the people who were using exploits didn't have to go through so much trouble. Next time I'm just killing the tieflings if I wanna run with her

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Steak posted:

I've been reading you can lock yourself out of romancing Karlach and I think I have. Reddit seems to think there is a very specific sequence of events that you need to do. Which I did not do. But, I did upgrade her twice in the beginning of Act 2 and she has a "Very Good" disposition towards me. Just no dialogue options to move anything forward since. I'm currently in the closing parts of Act 2 (I think, 1st playthrough).

if you started a romance with three other folks you are locked out. I had started one with Shadowheart, Lae'zel and Astarian.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

lol

Apparently Shadowheart is the jelly type so good luck with that

I dropped her rear end at the temple in act 2 because I wanted to go for a Minthara romance. Honestly there isn't much there that you wouldn't get just by having her in her party so I don't think I'll do another Minthara romance unless they beef it up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Shadowheart is one of the few romance partners that doesn't break up with the player for loving Mizora, although her reasons for polyamory are more sad than fun.

Karlach didn't either because I said I was sorry lol