Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Interesting little factoids about development

https://x.com/esr_tv/status/1770900954789163427?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

You will never guess who the companion in question is

https://x.com/ign/status/1772390778813173805?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Shockeh posted:

E: Aside - I'd be wholly unsurprised if, if we ever get a Larian post-mortem, that was a 'poo poo we ran out of time' point of development, and they had to wrap it up; It happens so late in the arc and to so little fanfare it does feel rushed.

Not quite a post-mortem, but in recent interviews Sven has talked about exactly that. The game was a bit bigger in scope but they were quickly approaching a deadline and had to rescope

https://x.com/ESR_tv/status/1770900954789163427?s=20

https://nordic.ign.com/duplicate-ba...-development-an

Worth reading and checking out the twitter thread and article, but some highlights:

Ketheric was going to be a potential companion you could recruit. The persuasion check you can do in the game, if succesful, was originally going to have him surrender and join your team at the camp as an advisor.

Lots of locations got cut, amongst them, Vlakiths palace, one of the Gith planes, Candlekeep and even hell itself. This gels with some datamined content that implied you would have used the infernal coins for currency in hell, and also tied in with karlachs quest to cure her of her affliction.

As others also pointed out, Wyll and Halsin changed a lot from their Early access days. I don't think halsin was intended to be a playable character, but because of the positive reception to the buff muscle-elf they changed him into a companion, which is probably why his plot is so anemic after act 2. Wyll was a lot more of a charlatan with a devil on his shoulder whispering in his ear. Originally one of his quests was going after a particular goblin in Act 1 who took his eye (it's one of the goblins torturing the mercenary).

The "guardian" was also changed almost entirely. In early access they were a mental manifestation of the tadpole trying to seduce you (figuratively and literally) into using the tadpole powers, and the more you used them the more you would lose yourself and become illithid. The ring from the illithid in the underdark was supposed to inhibit the tadpole at the expense of your tadpole powers, but all that got dropped.

Honestly, almost all the changes larian made seem to have been for the worse, the original ideas all seem way cooler, and by cutting out locations you miss out on big character moments. Karlach and Lazaels story feels unfinished because they cut out their big final acts. I would have rather they pushed the game back another 6 months, but I also realize that wasn't really feasible for them. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

Black Noise posted:

There was a big uproar like 3 days before launch when a dev post got misinterpreted as if you don't romance your companions then they'll mingle amongst themselves. This lead to people flipping out about the potential of getting "cucked" by Wyll. Which honestly would've been some interesting character development besides daddy issues.

Almost all the complaints were focused on Wyll too. It was so transparently a bunch of incels getting mad at a black guy preemptively cucking them with their pixel waifu.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vermain posted:

it's honestly kinda mindboggling thinking that they originally planned for this game to be even bigger. the game that we got is so astonishingly handcrafted that it still beggars belief that actual human beings managed to put it all together

it's an especially funny moral panic in hindsight since actual ingame wyll has 0 rizz and gets instantly dumped in the friend zone by every girl in faerun

He's incredibly corny, which is imo part of his charm, but yeah people being mad about him stealing their girl is incredibly funny.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Honestly of the stuff McCloud posted the only thing I wish made it into the final product was Wyll being more of a fraud. In particular the old version of the Dream Guardian sounds way more boring than the one we actually got, even if you think they fumbled his heel turn, and I don't mind that as much as others do cos it's not like justifications don't exist. it just needed tighter writing

I would have preferred the original idea, in part because there'd be both a story and in game mechanic reason to either cram more tadpoles into your eyes or resist as much as you can, rather than what we have now where you are incentivized to gobble up as many as you can with no drawbacks. But I also agree that the dream guardian thing would have worked well too if they hadn't botched the landing

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Runa posted:

technically this is pathfinder but pathfinder is D&D with the serial numbers filed off

and then hastily written back on in sharpie

This looks like AI art before AI art was a thing. Like, the only reason I know it isn't AI is because I remember seeing it somewhere like 10 years ago.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I know that recruiting Minthara makes Halsin leave in a huff, but does it lock you out of the other druid as well?

And does recruiting minthy mean you can't solve the shadowcurse thing?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Harleep got the last laugh lmao

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

In my first game, I tried to sleep with multiple of my companions, and nabbed Gale first after Astarion rejected my advances. Nobody else seemed interested, so I fully committed to Gale, until Halsin approached me about wanting to hook up. I said I'd have to talk with Gale about it, who was completely opposed, so I stuck by him.

In my now second game, I managed to hook up with Astarion, but I haven't really been having him in my party. Which I guess pissed him off, because now I'm in Act 3, we've done no romance since Act 1, and he just told me he was only using me, and we'll never be an item. I guess now I can try and get with that bear Halsin at least?

Yeah there's at least one big astarion related sidequest in act 2 and if you don't do it he gets kind of pissy at you. Kinda like how Shart gets mad if you do the whole temple/spear thing without having her in the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just a general tip too, if you have a companion you're particularly fond of, make sure you do their sidequests. They can get pretty pissy if you mess up on that front