Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I’m in the House of Hope and after the latest hotfix I’m getting some weird graphics/glitches. Mostly it’s fine, but when I’m in a cutscene there is a weird kind of vibration on the focus character?

Besides that, the game seems to be struggling with Jaheira. Her weapons don’t appear on her hands, and when she moves it will sometimes reset her to where she was in a prior turn and then move her from there. When she makes an action there is often a weird long pause where her bar is greyed like she’s used her action, but it hasn’t actually happened. I can right click to cancel out or just wait and it eventually triggers.

The other characters are all fine.

Any advice on how to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

AgentHaiTo posted:

Act 3

So some random Zentharim in Act 3 had this note on her after I killed her:

Life has tried to push me down
Make me crawl when I should fly
But I won't be stilled
And when I'm killed
I'll be looking at the sky

Of course I killed her in the Guild underground base, so she was not in fact looking at the sky, but it made me feel so bad about it, I had Karlach pick her up and take her to that grassy hill next to the abandoned tower and place her body so she was under the sky.

This game sometimes...

There are a ton of this sort of things tucked away around the world you can find. The ones I remember are One of the guards in the Foundry has a letter from his parents being excited about his job, and there is a murdered Flaming Fist in the Temple of Bhaal area who has a love letter written to Quil, the bard that the Durge murders if Alifra is unavailable

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

A Moose posted:

There are a couple programs you can use free trials of to clone your whole setup to a new SSD drive, so there's no risk of losing anything and you can keep your old drive as a backup! I did it last year and it was way easier than I thought it would be.

In act 3, just double checking but there's no actual reason to return Rakath's 10k gold once you've defeated Minsc and that zhent trader, right? I looked up the rewards and it looks like you can get 5k back, plus like 2500 more, and then an armor worth about 2k. But my wife apparently already stole the armor so we just decided to keep it and go shopping. Finally could afford that Armor of Persistence from Dammon!

Mechanically, there is no reason, but narratively that money was the hard-earned savings of the people of Baldur's Gate, and apparently Faerun doesn't have an FDIC so you'll be impoverishing the population at their lowest moment you monster I gave it back because I am playing a Paladin and I have brain problems that make me feel bad if I treat NPCs unfairly. Sidenote: If you give it all back, even Rakath is surprised that you didn't keep at least some of it, and calls you a boring bastard before rewarding you

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you don’t recruit Shadowheart at the beach, I think she moves to the grove and you can recruit her there.

If you didn’t reduce her on the Nautilus I think she isn’t at the beach and starts at the ruins instead?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

So I rolled a warlock out the gate. After playing with my friends in our coop campaign, they informed me warlock's whole gimmick is eldritch blast. And it is extremely strong, but it also makes a lot of my other damage spells feel redundant.

Anyone have thoughts on the class being one-note in this way? Should I consider switching to a different casting class?

As a Warlock you're basically only going to have 3 non-cantrip spells per encounter, 4 if you have an item or elixir. This can be fine sometimes because you can blow through a lot of encounters in less than 3 rounds, but using Eldritch Blast for your regular damage means you can use those spells on AOE, control, or Counterspelling. People have already mentioned Hunger of Hagar, you can cast Darkness with good effect because there's a Warlock power that lets you see through it yourself, allowing you to block enemies and still snipe them. Spells like Hold Person and Banishment are powerful for removing enemies from the fight, and Misty Step and Dimension Door are good for repositioning. Basically, if you can check off damage as coming through Eldritch Blast, you free up your slots for other kinds of spells.

Also Eldritch Blast does Force damage, which is possibly the most reliable and least-resisted damage type in the game, so you don't have the situation of 'oh no this devil is immune to fireballs'.

It does make a Warlock feel a little more like a martial class, because unlike a Wizard thumbing through their spellbook or a sorcerer modifying spells, you're are pretty much going to hammer Eldritch Blast the same way a Fighter swings an axe. That's not a weakness, it's just a matter of how you feel about playstyle. I preferred it because I liked having a narrower set of spells to use reliably than lots I keep forgetting about (also you can always use scrolls to supplement for the moment when you really really need a fireball)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

To be more specific - you need to kill the orthon for Raphael, so he will translate the runes on Astarion’s back. I assume you have this quest, since Raphael meets you outside the crypt. Once you’ve killed the orthon to satisfy Raphael’s request, then you can safely go back and kill the rat horde to get their loot - but you gotta do it in the right order.

Not sure about this. I never got that quest from Raphael, either because I didn’t have Asterion in the party at that moment or because I always told Raphael to get lost as quickly as possible. So if you manage that you could help the Orthon without issue.

I also never spoke to Yurgir because I managed a weird approach where Karlach alerted to the ambush and I tried to use Mage Hand to swipe the gem, so he immediately turned hostile before I could trigger a dialogue.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I finished my playthrough, my party was pretty much my Lockadin Tav, Shadowheart, Karlach, and Lae'zel through Act I & II and then switched to Jaheira. I didn't bother to respec or multiclass any companions and it seemed to work fine. Glad that I hoarded so many potions and scrolls because some of those came in pretty useful in the final chapters. Specifically the last battle I didn't have anyone go all-in on worms so my characters couldn't fly, so getting off the platforms that were getting destroyed was a challenge and I was running out of people and space - I ended up using a couple Scrolls of Disintegrate to finish off the brain before I ran out of room. I do wish that instead of having restoration chambers along the way they let you just return to camp and rest and specific points, because it would be nice to be able to change out companions (and less so gear) between different sequences. For instance I would have liked to have Lae'zel during the decision between the Emperor and Orpheus but not commit to having her the entire sequence. Pretty minor though!

The Epilogue stuff they added is great for rounding everything up, especially if some of the cinematics ended without a full resolution. I guess that I short-cutted some cinematics either by not doing quests properly or my other choices, so I didn't really have a conclusion for certain characters in the cinematics right after the final fight, but got to see them in the Epilogue and feel like their stories are concluded - or at least where they are. Being able to read letters from random NPCs is cool too, and help make you feel like some decisions or quest points you chose have more long-term impact. Very sad we don't get to see Bex and Danis with their house and cat, though.

Already planning my Tactician playthrough, not sure what class to take this time - I plan on using Astarion and Gale more, as I mostly sidelined them in my playthrough except for specific plot beats.

Hardly needs to be said but all the voice acting in this is so great, just about every main character has some really good scenes that the actors and other creative staff worked hard to nail, any one of them would be worth a climax for a game, and the game has so many good moments. Really deserves all the reviews and awards.

Anyway, back to another 100 hours of play!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah dyes are disappointing because it’s usually the cloth parts that get dyed not the metal parts (yes i know that’s not how dyes work,shut up).

A mod that gives you a colour wheel for armour would be cool,i want Dracula ribbed armour goddamnit.

Is it just me/a bug, or do some dyes actually turn the metal parts of items to a weird gold? There have been times where I am trying to change an armor secondary and end up with a weird color on the metal parts as well. I basically stopped experimenting once I found a color that worked ok for each character because it was more frustrating than it was worth.

I wish you could dye weapons, or at least alter the color on ones that have effects, that would be pretty cool.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

So if you made Karlach become a mind flayer you’re a horrible monster that murdered Karlach.

To be fair she readily volunteers because she’s dying, so it’s more like you assist her suicide by ceremorphosis so that she leaves behind a creature with her memories and aspects of her personality.

There’s a reasonable argument that Astarion is in the same situation if he ascends.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I might have been playing a good guy, but I still don't take any guff.

The Zhentarim are kind of lovely, they are explicitly slavers and assassins and out of game a whole bunch more crimes so you can feel at peace for murdering them as a good guy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What do you guys think getting Friends'd feels like? Surely it's a pleasurable sensation
I assume that it feels like when you see someone waving at you and you realize it must be an old acquaintance, and you are momentarily buoyed by the feeling of being recognized and welcomed.

When it wears off, that's the feeling you get when it dawns that this person is in fact a total stranger, was waving to someone behind you, and is now giving you a look as you haplessly wave back to them. You will now have to relive this moment in the night for the rest of your life.

I mean normally I don't kill people when that happens but I understand the urge.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yes, if you use Charm or Friends in Honor mode then when it wears off there is a chance that the person will get mad because they realize they have been influenced. I think that this can also happen in Tactician and I think that Detect Thoughts does this even in other modes? But yea it means those powers are much less useful and you need to plan to not be there once they wear off from the effect. It feels like it means they're only useful in the situations where you are trying to talk someone into killing themselves.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also, and possibly more critically I've now killed a bunch of True Souls and picked up their tadpoles, but I've not triggered my guardian announcing themselves and telling me to upgrade myself with them.

About this, I believe that the trigger for the Guardian appearing is to use your Authority powers a certain number of times, not just finding tadpoles. If you don't use those checks when given the option - I think they're mostly around the Goblin camp to start - then it delays when you'll get those interactions.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think the only level 20 mods I have seen just let you take 20 levels total across classes, like warlock 10/paladin 10, not take a single class to 20. They would basically have to start creating entire spells and class abilities to do that.

I mean 20 levels of multiclassing is still busted as hell, just not ‘level 20 mage’ busted.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

roomtone posted:

Halsin left my camp though, cos I didn't cure the Shadowlands. Not sure how I would've done that. I initially killed Shadowheart to stop her killing Aylin, and felt okay about it, but then went back to try just persuading her and letting her choose, and she chose to totally abandon Shar and all that so this is even better. I am not sure if killing Aylin would have cured the Shadowlands or what, but whatever you're supposed to do, I missed it.

Without going into too much detail about this, there was a point in the Gauntlet of Shar (the weird pool) that gives you a warning that you are going to progress the world state. If you have not solved the issues by that point, you will no longer be able to do so. You have to help Halsin before that point. Aylin isn't directly connected to the Shadowlands curse, there are other quest pointers and plots that you uncover in the area that will help Halsin figure out what to do and you have to help him along with those. It isn't hard to miss the triggers for the shadowlands stuff, if you don't explore all the map and stay focused on the core quests you have been given when you arrive.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I looted like, a million lockbox keys for the counting house then COMPLETELY forgot about it. I also plum forgot about Minsc as well until Jaheira mentioned at the end of the game that she wishes she could've found him. Whoops :v:

Goddammit This post reminded me that I had found a bunch of vault keys and intended to open those, and completely forgot about it before the final showdown. Oh well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The game is easy enough that you are never really required to go crazy with multiclassing. My first run was almost a pure monoclass on every character and I triumphed over the Cult of the Absolute all the same. Once you start thinking more about potential item synergies and class level breakpoints then multiclassing becomes an entertaining thought exercise, but even then, many classes like Fighter or Druid are perfectly happy staying at 12/12 forever.

I hesitate the say the game is easy, I know that generally this thread doesn't have issues with the base gameplay but I've seen a lot of people who are new to CRPGs or don't have any system familiarity struggle at times, there are a lot of details that take time for people to absorb an understand if they're coming at it new. Having said that, I do agree that you don't have to worry about multiclassing to get through it - the base classes are generally strong enough on their own that you don't have to dip into multiple classes unless you have some specific build in mind or really want to push the limits. I think people will get much better mileage from focusing on understanding game mechanics and how to best utilize terrain, equipment, and bonuses. Those will take you a long way and the improved game sense will also help inform you on how multiclassing can be leveraged.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Verviticus posted:

how do they want you to fight raphael? cause we just ran hope out of the room and killed his guys and then him but theres pillars and stuff that we just totally ignored

edit: i wonder if people who struggled with that fight didnt see that hope has divine intervention which is a full party heal and long rest lol and also a button she can use up to like 6 times that just removes someone from the fight

Caveat: I beat him on the second try under Balanced (I ate poo poo the first time because I don't look up anything and end up figuring out mechanics on the spot) with what would certainly be considered a sub-par group here. I had my Paladin/Warlock Tav, Karlach, Jaheira, and Shadowheart (all their base classes, no multiclassing or anything).

I went into the fight with both Jaheira and Shadowheart having summoned assists, a Myrmidon and a Djinn. Under this mode I don't have enough damage to simply one-round Raphael. Instead I split up my party to destroy the pillars. They are vulnerable to both Bludgeoning and Force damage, so Karlach and my Tav were able to take down one each in the first round. I used Hope to banish Yurgir with her special action, and my summons played interference on the enemies with some AOE from Shadowheart and Jaheira. Second round I removed the remaining pillars - as someone noted above, removing the pillars actually buffs Raphael by allowing him to transform, but this is triggered per-round, not per-pillar - so if you remove all the pillars rapidly, he'll only transform once. Otherwise (as I found out the first time) each time you break a pillar he can get the buff again. If you had Haste on your party you might be able to one-round all the pillars, with the right damage combos.

His Ascended form is a pain in the rear end, but with the pillars gone he doesn't get the bonus damage, restored souls, or healing from them. I threw my Tav at him; she had a high base AC (I think 24) and the Cloak of Displacement which means all attacks are at Disadvantage until you take damage. I used Jaheira and Karlach to mop up the Cambions and KO Korilla, and Hope to heal - Shadowheart played support while waiting out Radiant Retort. From there it was just beating him down with Karlach and Tav.

This is definitely not the most efficient path; I think the whole combat probably took 6-7 rounds, which is positively glacial by how people talk about fights here, but after dropping the pillars it never felt like I was at serious risk of losing. The biggest issue is making sure that Hope doesn't get murdered immediately because you can't improve her initiative and it's possible for someone to do her serious damage out the gate. If your characters are high enough up you can create some space to keep her safe.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I didn’t see it mentioned, but for Blade Pact there are also a few cool weapons that specifically only work as pact weapons and improve your melee.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Entropic posted:

Do non-returning weapons sometimes just disappear when you throw them? I made Karlach into a throw barb with the Returning Pike, and I thought it would be a good trick to give her the Sussur Dagger to be able to shut down mages by using one of her attacks to ding them with it, but I just tried and it hit but I couldn't see the dagger anywhere to pick it up. Tried reloading and tried throwing it at a few different targets and it always seems to just disappear if she hits someone with it. She has another non-returning magical spear (Vision of the Absolute) that doesn't seem to have this problem. Is this just an issue with the Sussur Dagger or daggers in general?

At least two other people have complained in this thread about problems throwing the Sussur Dagger (although at least one of those was it getting stuck in the air, I think) so there definitely seem to be some issues with that weapon specifically.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

poo poo, I found out about an amazing Warlock robe and it's a quest reward for freeing the Tieflings from Moonrise. Well that's where I am so I go do that, only I get...nothing. Seems I need to formally be given the quest, which isn't possible because I couldn't kill Marcus fast enough and everyone in Last Light died.

I feel like I should have better gear for this stage, is there anything that can help with that for before the endgame? I generally get the impression I'm finding it tougher than I should. Or possibly I should take more long rests?

You have lost access to some good gear/traders, but you should still be able to get to the ones in Moonrise and get stuff there. If you did not go through the Mountain Pass you can go back to it from the Shadowlands, as there is a good trader in the creche and also gear there if you murder everyone.

You shouldn't need to worry about the endgame, there are a ton of vendors and rewards once you reach Rivington and Baldur's Gate, if you're undergeared you should be able to equip up before you tackle the tough setpiece battles at the finale.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

They’re dicks. No one tells me I can’t open a box.

I had the goofiest outcome to the whole thing. I saved the two guys in the cave from the gnolls, but then stupidly used Detect Thoughts when talking to them and they freaked out and attacked me. So I had to murder them, but it was after they had given me the pass phrase for the hideout. So I opened the box, took the stuff with me, and when the Zhent asked about their pals I said 'Oh yea sorry they didn't make it, but I did save your package!' Only then they freaked out about not keeping it sealed up and attacked me! No one told me buddy, I am trying to be helpful here! So anyway then I had to kill them all, which was a mess. Oh well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

“Evil is not rewarding” is a good indicator for any RPG if you ask me.

Originally I felt a little unhappy that taking an evil route meant you lost so many companions and quests and didn't gain very many evil alternatives to make up. Then I saw part of an interview with the developers who were talking about it as an intentional choice. If choosing evil just means that you get a different set of henchmen and quests with goatees attached, it isn't very much of a meaningful choice. If you make the evil choices to murder all the tieflings or kill everyone at last light inn, then the consequence is that your world is a little emptier, a little bleaker, and you end up with fewer paths and fewer friends. That's the actual outcome of selfishness and violence; the world isn't an endless decanter that refills with new people to suit your style. If you make the choice to invest in the world and other people, you are rewarded with a more complex world and more interactions within it. Doing the opposite means you end up more isolated and alone.

The fact you can playthrough so many different ways makes this work better, because if you do an evil playthrough and then a good one, you'll see how different the world actually ends up for all those cumulative choices.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

You can tell her you killed the Zhentarim at the Goblin Camp and she’ll be like “aye I’m impressed” in the way all murdering thieves guilds in video games are.

Similar situation at Moonrise you can tell the Bugbear merchant that you murdered Dror Ragzlin and instead of being mad or sounding an alarm he just goes 'Oh sick, I heard that guy was pretty tough, have a discount on my goods'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

roomtone posted:

I have the multiclass to level 20 mod installed and I just realised, getting to level 12 on my main class, that if I try to level up again the game just completely crashes and closes cos level 13 doesn't exist. It's weird how locked in the levelling stuff is.

I guess now I have to just ignore the level up button for the remainder of the playthrough. But that's gonna be a bummer because I like levelling up and it makes a lot of the stuff I have left to do feel a bit more pointless. I guess this is what I get for installing Fast XP and wanting to go nuts at the end of the game with level 20 characters.

Kinda running out of steam on this game though. The city is just sort of boring, I don't like exploring it. I just want to end it.

It's specifically a multiclass to level 20 mod, it can't take you to 13 because there is literally no game data for what that means. You're supposed to spread out your levels and only take a level 12 as the final level up (so like, you go Paladin 11/Fighter 4/Warlock 4 and then take Paladin 12 for the final 20 level up)You can roll back to whenever you were level 11 and spend all that experience on other classes now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I started my second playthrough on Tactician, and decided to do the Investigate Kagha quest that I had apparently missed the first time through. Was not prepared. Walked into the Swamp at Level 3, having basically only done the ruins and the immediate area around the Grove so without many items either. Did not have any idea what I was walking into with the Wood Woads and Mud Mephits. I barely managed to eke out a win with just my fighter and Shadowheart standing, having helped her up twice in the fight. Both Asterion and Gale went out after getting knocked down and then having enemies attack them again, which I don't think ever happened in Balanced! I only came through because Gale had managed to set fire to the Woads before dying, halting their regen, and I had a Haste potion to give my Battle Master fighter to blow through a bunch of Superiority attacks once I could actually attack without Disadvantage from Muddy. These early fights are brutal because your mage has 12 HP or something and can drop to any bad roll.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean they chose to include that path, not sure why it wouldn't result in an alternate path with a comparable amount of content. It's handled in an incredibly lazy way. Why bother giving the players the option to begin with?

This is a while back, but there are lots of options you have in the game that reduce the amount of overall content you get. Early on you are given the option to kill multiple companions, if you do that you will never see their personal quests and doing it doesn't unlock anything additional. You can choose to end the game at the end of Act II and just completely cut off an entire act of content. Larian deliberately made the game so that different choices lead to different paths, many of which are mutually exclusive, and they're not going to be equivalent. I get that it can be frustrating because you can feel like you lose out. But the natural consequence of murdering a shitload of people is that you don't get to interact with them in the future, and the world doesn't magically create more people for you to replace them with different narratives. If you choose to act that way, the world becomes a smaller, lonelier, and less interesting place, directly because of your choices. That is entirely intentional.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Vargatron posted:

I'm actually legit upset that Grub gets fed to you by Orin disguised as Yenna. Straight up gently caress the devs for including something like this. This is why I quit playing this game.

Whoa yea that is pretty hosed up. This never happened to me, pretty upsetting.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

You know it's just a video game and no actual animals were harmed, right?

I'm not sure, they took the mocap for this game very seriously.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think the problem with Halsin is that you get him as a full party member after you have basically resolved all his stuff, so he doesn't have any personal things to do in Act III and just tagging along for the chance to bone you. So he's not very interesting at that point and is competing with all the characters that have big personal steps in Act III (Which is... basically everyone). Plus, you will get the chance to recruit Jaheira as a full party member five minutes after Halsin, and she is both a lot more interesting and funny and has connections and content for Baldur's Gate, so he's not even the best Druid.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There is already a infallible lockpick in act 3, it's called 'a sword'

I kicked Astarion out of party, I just had Karlach walk through every trap and used Eldritch Blast to open stuff up. If you’re a hammer all problems are nails!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You also get two rings slots so even if you have another good one you’re fine to keep the Protection as well.

Plus it’s good for everyone. There are a couple other good rings but they are usually build-specific. Everyone can benefit from AC and saving throws.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

I really sincerely don't get how people are getting like 150hrs out of this. Thourough playthroughs (although I skip any dialogue that isn't new to me now) take 60 if I really eek them out. I'm actually envious, since I love this game and wish there was more of it. Hell, I think its a little too short, if anything!

I sank a ton of time into looking through stuff in the world. If you go from mission to mission you can probably get done faster, but I'm addicted to finding and reading every scrap and then trying to organize them all. There are a ton of little story-telling elements in the different locations that aren't game critical or really do anything, but if you are spending time looking around and reading through stuff you can uncover all kinds of fragments of history, personal stories, etc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

unattended spaghetti posted:

I saw so many copies of invasion plans for the sword coast. Really bad info sec there lol

I kept picking those up and trying to figure out if I could give them to anyone, but apparently no one cares!!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's the Cloak of Cunning Brume, you can buy it from Mattis at the Last Light Inn.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

unattended spaghetti posted:

On bombs, is the brilliant retort the most useless quest reward? Unless I'm missing something all signs point to yes.

I think the item description for this is misleading, it actually deals the 3d4+9 damage twice so it's more powerful than any other bomb. I also think it silences the target?

But it's not a great reward, no. The only one that jumps out to me as worse is Save Mayrina.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

The zombie wand is great wym

I had no idea you could just keep the wand and use that dude as a summon, I either let Mayrina have her hosed up life or deliberately abandoned it so she should move on. So I guess there is better loot there then I realized!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, there is enough stuff around that I don't feel bad about incidental Flaming Fist casualties. There are a handful that seem ok, like Devella, so maybe just don't murder those ones.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

My Oath of Ancients paladin only broke her oath when I decided to release Cazador's spawn so they could try to live their lives like Asterion in Act III, which felt like a bullshit choice to me. But then I decided to just go with it and finished the game as an Oathbreaker because gently caress you dad, you don't get to tell me what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

How is doing that not explicitly against the oath of ancients lol
I thought it was in line with the "acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness" that are in the tenets. I'm supposed to throw away the key and leave a bunch of sad vampire kids imprisoned forever, or kill them all? That does not "kindle the light of hope" to me.

I interpreted the undead thing as more about raising skeletons and zombies and such, rather than free-willed undead, especially because the game did not have an issue with me freeing Asterion and keeping him around, even when he had definitely murdered a lot of people and bitten more than a few. I figured extrapolating from the test case would be fine!

grack posted:

You released a bunch of insane, mostly feral vampire spawn out into the wild to wreak havoc. Of course that's going to break your oath.
Well to be fair I released them into the Underdark, which is full of people I'd apparently be allowed to kill anyway, so no lose right? The only nice guys down there were the mushroom men, who don't even have blood to worry about. I am sure there are no convenient exits to the rest of the world, this will be fine. Sebastian even wrote me a nice letter saying they had murdered a lot of people were doing just fine.

That's why I didn't buy out of the oath-breaking anyway, I decided that I hadn't made a mistake, just found a time when I disagreed with the tenets, so I should live with being an oathbreaker.