Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Silly Newbie posted:

For those having trouble with the big Moonrise tower fight, you can pre-murder pretty much everyone. Out of the whole place, the only people who will aggro when you start a fight are the people who actively see it. Makes it easy to divide and conquer.

I ended up doing this unintentionally because I came at the tower from a different angle than the main entrance. I did make my way around to the front, and saw some fighting, but unfortunately I made a mistake by assuming the two sides would just keep whacking at each other forever until I intervened, because

Ashcans posted:

If you are only going to play the game once and want to get as close to 100%, then you would want to recover her because she has some Act 3 stuff.

Assuming you plan to play again, just roll with it. Then next time you’ll have some additional stuff you haven’t seen before. She isn’t pivotal to any of the origin character stories.

I think people should feel free to skip stuff and not worry about trying to catch every scrap because there are lots of mutually exclusive options and it just means you get more real value in subsequent plays.

everyone on the good side was dead by the time I came back. I mostly didn't care about Jaheira at the time but from social media I later learned about her and Minsc being from the earlier games so it was sad when I ran into him in Act 3 and had to kill him because Jaheira wasn't around to keep him from freaking out :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thuryl posted:

I just dropped some area denial spells in the entrance hallway and waited out the front with ranged weapons to plink at anyone who got through.

I had a fight the other day where my area of denial was too good. The enemies had to come up a narrow, enclosed staircase with a right angle turn through Spike Growth and Cloud Kill, with me at the top behind a door I could open to attack them from range and then close again after my turn. The NPCs were just like "Yeah no, we're not that stupid to run through that. We'll just wait over here."

I gave up first, but only partially, because I know enemies will try to get through Spiked Growth, so I cancelled Cloud Kill and sure enough that made them try to rush at me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fruits of the sea posted:

A little late to the big Moonrise Tower fight discussion, but having the party misty step up to the rafters is incredibly good. Pushing the snipers off is pretty easy, after which you can rain down AOE spells and throw random inventory garbage until everything is dead.

Also, go back down to the prison for a bonus fight!

Do they not have a way of knocking you off? The game has been pretty good so far about trying to take advantage of me being near ledges.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thundarr posted:

Technically they can shove, but the combination of the archer's mediocre strength and the narrow pathing can make it hard for them to get a good angle for shoving you. Also once you get one or two people in the rafters the archers generally don't last long enough to try.

Wasn't clear, sorry. The archers could shove but I meant do the rest have a way of knocking you off from below? Spells, exploding arrows, etc. I sent someone up to deal with the archer but then promptly came back down to avoid the risk.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Comstar posted:

Can someone explain like I'm 2 how the gently caress you get your entire party to fight from stealth. What happens is I sneak my sneaky character up, start combat, and then spend 10 rounds in 1-10 combat while the rest of the party stands around doing nothing outside of combat. if I select them, my character IN combat suffers time dilation and goes through 10 rounds of real time combat before everyone else starts surprised when they get close enough and it makes using any kind of stealth pointless. I also can't seem to sneak past people because while I'm in some turn mode they walk around in real time mode and see me.

I am obviously completely misunderstanding HOW to do this.

Are the people walking around in real time near the fight? I find turn-based mode doesn't stop the whole world but makes a bubble of turn-based reality only near the party member(s) who have joined the fight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, Astarion is so handy for unlocking/disarming stuff but now that I've swapped him out for late-game Gale to do this Mystara stuff and take on another wizard it's hard to give him up again. A lot of versatile power and utility in combat, and Counterspell alone is worth the price of admission.

Guess I should swap back though if I'm going to Cazador's place next.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

If you give Astarion the Graceful Cloth in Act 1 you'll have so many thieves' tools that even your oafish Barbarians can brute force any DC30 in the lower city.

By rerolling until a nat 20?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Knock is not to be underestimated if you're swapping out a wizard for a rogue, just save it for the locks with DCs above 20 or so and keep a large supply of picks for brute forcing the lesser ones

Yeah I swap Knock and Arcane Lock back and forth and thankfully I just haven't encountered much in the way of locks or traps during the brief spell (heh) that Gale has come back to the party.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DeadlyMuffin posted:

What do you use arcane lock for?

Knock is for out of combat for locks, Arcane Lock is for in combat when I want to cut enemies off from each other.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Having gone through the game a few times on honour mode now I’ll be honest I haven’t found a place where arcane lock is more effective than setting up a choke point with aoe

Arcane lock is insanely useful in tabletop tho

I don't have the experience in the game you do, no. I usually do setup choke points with my Tav druid but having just swapped Gale in after barely using him, locking enemies out has also been useful with all the gates and doors in Act 3.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Entropic posted:

You can summon the faerie you let out of the moon lantern anywhere for the rest of the game though! Just don’t be rude to her.

Is that only while in Act 2? I remembered she was in there after I got some ways into Act 3, thinking there'd be an interesting fight letting her out but she was deader than the fish in Disco Stu's shoes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EorayMel posted:

I'm not keen on touching honor mode because there's always the chance the whole run will be nullified 50 hours in from one bad dice roll, but you can skip all the gortash and robot stuff by just stockpiling a shitload of smokepowder barrels and fireworks, dropping them all around him, and then igniting the entire thing with any source of open flames, killing him and several cronies instantly

After watching Game of Thrones, the invitation to Gortash's ceremony gave me the sense that it was Gortash who was going to do this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Entropic posted:

I think not enough people realize that contrary to everything you might expect, you can free the faerie from the moonlantern right away and there is zero downside, if you are nice to the faerie it actually doesn’t betray you, it gives you a little bell to ring to summon it and it will give your whole party an anti-shadow-curse blessing whenever you want, so you don’t have to actually carry around the lantern and worry about party members walking out of range of it in the dangerous extra-dark areas. It’s 100% upside. Also if you do carry the lantern around, if you use it as a weapon and whack someone with it this will kill the faerie inside.

That's cool. Definitely something to remember if I do another playthrough.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

turtlecrunch posted:

fwiw I had this happening in Act 3 before Patch 6. I assumed it was because it was my pet run where the party has like 20 summons in it at all times and my PC was probably on fire.

I know you meant personal computer but I prefer to think you meant player character.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baldur's Gate 3? More like Helldivers 2... because there are so many bugs!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't hate the flayer, hate the game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Medullah posted:

Guys I'm really struggling to beat possibly the hardest enemy in this game, anyone able to give me some tips on how to beat the loving cameraman? Making it impossible to do a battle on the top floor of the fireworks factory when we're on the second

Yeah, Act 3 is cool and all but the tight interior spaces with multiple floors has me zooming in and out like John Candy in Monster Chiller Horror Theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SJY6w0HD50&t=112s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My Tav is a druid and she's been kind of all over the place as I figure the game out but more often than not she's the one locking things down and controlling the fight. Spike Growth is my go-to but also Goading as a bear, blocking paths as a big ol' Owlbear, Webbing enemies as the spider, Wall spells, etc. She's also my most reliably versatile elemental damage caster, and I often use her in a utility role to give Astarion Advantage for his Sneak Attack in a variety of ways.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Yeah, my Light Cleric hireling is the one who casts it for me usually.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I personally think druid 6th level spells don't really have any standouts

I really like Sunbeam, though you can get it earlier and have someone else use it if you get the Blood of Lathander.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Lmao it counts as Shadowheart refusing to kill Aylin if you have Karlach throw Shads into a pit mid-conversation

Standard Karlach manoeuvre

lol, but what about the opposite? Will it count as her agreeing to the kill if you Fastball Special her at Aylin?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For me the size of the battle wasn't a big deal in itself but Act 3 introduced an inexplicable delay for the results of so many moves, regardless of the size of battle and sometimes not even in combat, like turning invisible. Swing a sword and find out in ten seconds whether it hit or not!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Medullah posted:

I'm a big Resident Evil fan so I tend to hoard resources. I'm near the end I think so I might splurge and use a few of the several hundred healing potions and scrolls I have. Maybe even take a few Long Rests with the 4000 camp supplies I have.

Obviously I'm on baby mode so it hasn't been a big deal.

I'm at the tail end of Act 3 and I barely even need Long Rests because I've got lots of Arcane Cultivation elixirs, Angelic Slumbers/Reprieves, health potions, spell scrolls, and I still have Shadowheart's Divine Intervention left if I want to use it for party replenishment.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

grack posted:

Doing this locks you out of a lot of content.

lol, well the game is sending me mixed messages with quests that seemed timed so I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

If you're on PC, there's a mod that just tells you when night events are ready to pop.

No, PS5. Do the characters saying they need to rest provide some hint? They seem to get tired pretty easily so I haven't paid them any attention.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

If there's one thing I think the game could really use in a theoretical Definitive Edition it's a big "welcome to Act 3" setpiece battle

I think the game has been weak on selling the threat/impact of this supposed army headed to Baldur's Gate. I saw its periphery when I took that one pathway west out of the Act 2 map but maybe to start Act 3 we could encounter a significant scouting group ahead of the main force.

It could be a preview of certain enemy types to come or a grab-bag of various things faced so far (or both), especially because enemy types in this game seem to have just one specific location or time to shine. We learn how scarily widespread and pervasive the tadpole infections are so having a big ol' Gamemaster Anthony fight to highlight that would be cool.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Berzerker posted:

If you're worried about missing events due to not resting often, just remember that every time you do a long rest, do another 1-2 long rests right after without using any camp supplies. This is a partial rest and doesn't give you back spell slots etc., but you don't need them back anyway since you just did a long rest. This helps to make sure your pile of camp events gets cleared periodically. Just don't do it if you're in the middle of a timed quest obviously

Great suggestion, thank you. I'm gonna Rip Van Winkle the poo poo out of my game when I get back to it.

The main reason I haven't been Long Resting much towards the end of the game is not from preserving camp supplies anyway, but because I made resting a bit tedious for myself with hireling buffs and to keep the effects of certain elixirs I can never keep stock of. And frankly, to see just how long I can stretch things out. Turns out that's a bad idea but it's been a fun challenge of sorts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At some point I think the Duke in my game died. At least that's what I've been telling other characters. But if they ever ask how I know I guess I'd say the game told me? We're living in a simulation and I'm basically Neo and the Architect told me directly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Medullah posted:

I get why they don't, but man it's frustrating when a conversation about magic auto starts with my Druid tav while Gale is RIGHT THERE. Let me cut in to the conversation!

There really needs to be a press conference dialogue option like "I'm going to let my colleague field this one."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just finished it for the first time. All in all one of the greatest games I've ever played. A big part of it comes down to the almost overwhelming sense of freedom and variety. Even within one fight, if I reloaded a save and fought it again with the same exact party and loadouts I could use radically different strategies and tactics and have a very different fight.

I find it hard to write longer reviews so I'll just say most other aspects of the game were very impressive but the main drawback was technical. Controlling the cursor in any fight or traversal area set in complex 3D spaces was an annoyance, and glitches of delayed moves, silent dialogue, and MIA character models in cutscenes got progressively worse so Act 3 was the weakest when it should have been the most spectacular.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Geekboy posted:

I’ve taken to hoarding Dome of Invulnerability (or whatever it’s called) scrolls for the fights where enemies have Radiant Retort and it’s just so satisfying to pull out all the big gun Radiant spells and abilities and then watch them react but nothing happens.

House of Grief goes from a pain in the rear end to almost trivial. When I fought Raphael last time I had to re-cast it a time or two because it lasts for 3 rounds but my last House of Grief I wiped the floor before the first one ran out.

I had quite a few by the end so in those last battles I was giving everybody some dome!

No, but seriously, it was a big brained move (literally) to use them at the end of Act 3: started my domination of Karsus move and then had Gale cast DoI on himself and me and just watched all the mind flayers helplessly do mind blasts on us to try and break my spellcasting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AndrewP posted:

I totally agree - something about the camera being movable in an annoyingly limited way plus the 3D environments made playing with a M+KB a pain in the rear end to me. I'm playing on console now and controller movement actually feels good

I was playing on console, lol. The thing that would trip it up is elevation. The right stick does double duty as a zoom and a change in angle for the camera but what was missing often was a way to change the height/elevation of the cursor. Stuff like big chasms or multiple floors or transitions between floors (also known as stairs) could often cause headaches.

There was actually a place in Cazador's that I'm not sure was supposed to be a real challenge or it was just the inadequacy of the cursor. I flew down by myself to a lower floor from a ledge and after getting the loot that I wanted I couldn't fly back up because there was no way to point to the ledge again. It kept treating the higher floor as see-through so pointing to a spot on the ledge just moved me to a spot under it.

Luckily I didn't have to abandon my party or my summons' because there was, oddly enough, the game's only real-time platforming segment nearby so I caught a ride on a makeshift elevator back up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shard posted:

in D&D can you raise your stats by working out? Like can you be a sorcerer with innate magic power but also like after every adventure you lift a lot of weights and get stronger? Or are stats only affected by game items and experience?

In D&D it's whatever the hell your GM wants but real improvements, worthy of raising a stat by a point, would usually take time. You're not going to raise the strength of a spindly scribe to a buff Barbarian without a serious, consistent investment in time and effort for months and years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

this happens when one of the other sacrifices dies during battle

Why? What's his reasoning?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gatto Grigio posted:

I had that ending w/o any of the spawn dying (Astarion kills Caz, breaks staff, leaves party, etc.)

After reloading, the way you fix it is if you refuse to help him in the ritual, but also pass a Persuasion check that convinces him that Ascending will just make him more like Cazador in the long run, and that’s a miserable road he doesn’t want to travel. In response, Astarion will still kill Caz, but instead of breaking the staff, he will use it to liberate all the vampire spawn. Astarion won’t Ascend, but he’ll stay in your party and you also keep Cazador’s staff as a magic item.

I love this because it reminds me of Wayne's World. You reloaded and ended up with the perfect outcome, just like how Wayne's World ends so bad for everyone until he and Garth break the 4th wall and go "As if we'd end the movie like that!" Then they go "let's do the Mega Happy Ending!" where this time everything works out for everyone.

(Also I'm skipping the fact that before the MHE they do the Scooby-Doo ending where it turns out Benjamin was actually Old Man WITHERS... eerie connection... :ohdear: )

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*Owlbear keeps nodding*
"I can't understand your freaky animal language!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Black Noise posted:

I thought Tav was a bg1 and 2 thing. If it was the dog I’d think it would be Gus.

Yeah but Gus tends to be a masculine name.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Black Noise posted:

And Tavernicus isn’t?

When it's just Tav I mean.

AgentHaiTo posted:

Only issue with this is, depending on what outcome you want, the Daylight will stay there, and will kill the other vampires being used in the ritual. I think last time I even positioned it center on the coffin so it wouldn't tick them down, but as soon as the ritual ended, everyone just ran into it like lemmings and got dusted.

Considering they already built an "Environmental Turn" into the game for whenever you trigger Turn-Based manually outside of combat, one would think they could repurpose it for every fight as a Combat Ended turn to allow the player to come down from a fight without party members or other friendlies triggering all sorts of bullshit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"What are you gonna do, crit me?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah if you don't have her you can still fight him and use non-lethal to knock him out but he's hosed. Without real Jaheria there to calm him down and tell him what's what, there's nothing to do with him other than kill him or leave him to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Where is minsc supposed to be if jaheira is dead? I thought he was supposed to be in the sewers but I didn’t see him.

Did you see him in the bank scene?