Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PokeJoe posted:

I eat a lot of rice, but could I be eating more?

ill take it from here, dino.

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

do you know much about chinese varieties of rice? my wife (who is chinese) really like northeastern chinese grown short grain rice while i prefer thai jasmine rice for most stuff. why am i correct?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t know Chinese liked short grain. I thought that was for Italians, Koreans and Japanese

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dino. posted:

Rice is an agricultural product. It will have dirt and bug poop and all kind of other gross stuff stuck to the grains even after milling. It won’t kill your, but it is gross to think about having it in your food.

You're also washing some of the external starch off right? I know some types of rice that we buy like the "fancier" calrose states not to wash it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i always grew up washing it but there's a random Brazilian recipe i looked up and have made a couple times (for a carrot and garlic rice) and it specifically tells you not to wash the rice. thats the only time i didnt wash it and it was ok i guess, didnt taste any different felt kind of weird tho

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

dino. posted:

1121 basmati is a really good variety, and has freakishly long grains. Sella is the Hindi word for parboiled. Soak the rice for about an hour, and discard the soaking water. It will make the cooking happen way more evenly. This is also the perfect rice with which to make Tahdig. Look up a recipe and make it. You will be happy you did.

How can the typical consumer find out about a particular rice? For example, I've got Badshah basmati in currently, which just says '...lovingly sourced from the foothills of the Himalayas, home to the world's best basmati. Once harvested our rice is aged to perfection...' and I'd be really interested to find out more about its provenance and process. I assume that's tricky, though, as for most mass-produced food?

I grew up eating only basmati, and it's the source of one of those terrible childhood memories that sometimes pops up. I went to someone's house for tea where there was chilli and some kind of - I guess - short-grain, non-fragrant rice, and I loudly asked my mum why they had "the cheap rice." I can't imagine how she must have felt!

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

dino. posted:

1121 basmati is a really good variety, and has freakishly long grains. Sella is the Hindi word for parboiled. Soak the rice for about an hour, and discard the soaking water. It will make the cooking happen way more evenly. This is also the perfect rice with which to make Tahdig. Look up a recipe and make it. You will be happy you did.

Thanks! I'll try soaking it the next time I make it.

Another question. How long does rice last, if stored in a way that keeps moisture out. I just found some arborio in the back of my cupboard, in an opened vacum bag, re-sealed with a bag clip. Sell by date is in october this year, but it's probably been opened for a year or two. I can't remember when I bought it. It looks fine, so I assume it's safe to eat, but I guess the quality might have degraded. It has been stored in a dry and dark cupboard at normal room temperatures.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Steve Yun posted:

I didn’t know Chinese liked short grain. I thought that was for Italians, Koreans and Japanese

maybe it’s a medium grain that’s on the short end of that??

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are questions about furikake allowed? a friend gave me some after a trip to japan and i loved it and ate it all very quickly. i bought another jar in a japanese home goods store recently and it was ok but much sweeter, i dont really like it so much. i am looking for a kind that is salty and maybe a little smokey and spicy, was wondering if there was a particular type or brand to look out for.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Earwicker posted:

are questions about furikake allowed? a friend gave me some after a trip to japan and i loved it and ate it all very quickly. i bought another jar in a japanese home goods store recently and it was ok but much sweeter, i dont really like it so much. i am looking for a kind that is salty and maybe a little smokey and spicy, was wondering if there was a particular type or brand to look out for.
do you know what type your friend gave you? there are lots of types

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

no i have no idea the label was entirely in japanese, which neither my friend nor i can read, and i threw the bag away along time ago.

that one that i have now that i dont like so much is predominantly salmon, the one i liked seemed to have a more balanced blend of fish vs other ingredients, and i think the fish was tuna or possibly some anchovy too

mystes
May 31, 2006

a typical one would be nori, bonito flakes, sesame seeds, and seasoning so maybe try that to start

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Why do rice bag instructions call for too much water?

Usually i do 1c rice to 1.5c water.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I follow the instructions of the rice cooker is that right

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

ill take it from here, dino.

yes.

thanks fart simpson I'll try my hardest to consume more rices

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My home has only 4 kinds of rice. What is the appropriate number of varieties to stock?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Do you have any opinions on North American wild rice?

I've had lots of different kinds of rice over the years - african red rice, thai black rice, some others. What's an interesting kind of rice that I should try? Yes, I saw your note about choosing rice for the context - I'll cook and serve the interesting rice in a method you designate as appropriate.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wild rice is not rice, but it is good

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PokeJoe posted:

That’s always worked for me but I add some extra for brown.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
She’s probably eating a short grain glutinous rice, if I’m not mistaken? For the foods from that region, I’d wager that the short grain rice works better than Thai jasmine.

Fragrant rice is good for when you have strong spices that can stand up to it. If you’re not using a ton of spices in your cooking, you want a more quiet rice.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

My home has only 4 kinds of rice. What is the appropriate number of varieties to stock?
n+1

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rawrbomb posted:

You're also washing some of the external starch off right? I know some types of rice that we buy like the "fancier" calrose states not to wash it.
Yeah, but it's not going to make a TON of difference. There are no rinse rices out on the market, and I'm not familiar with what it is that they're doing to warrant your not having to rinse it. But like I said, it's not required that you wash it, it's just gross if you don't. You're not going to be harmed or anything.

Earwicker posted:

yea i always grew up washing it but there's a random Brazilian recipe i looked up and have made a couple times (for a carrot and garlic rice) and it specifically tells you not to wash the rice. thats the only time i didnt wash it and it was ok i guess, didnt taste any different felt kind of weird tho
Yeah, you won't notice a huge difference in taste with rinsed versus unranked.

Bollock Monkey posted:

How can the typical consumer find out about a particular rice? For example, I've got Badshah basmati in currently, which just says '...lovingly sourced from the foothills of the Himalayas, home to the world's best basmati. Once harvested our rice is aged to perfection...' and I'd be really interested to find out more about its provenance and process. I assume that's tricky, though, as for most mass-produced food?

I grew up eating only basmati, and it's the source of one of those terrible childhood memories that sometimes pops up. I went to someone's house for tea where there was chilli and some kind of - I guess - short-grain, non-fragrant rice, and I loudly asked my mum why they had "the cheap rice." I can't imagine how she must have felt!
Oh my god I'd have been mortified at that. Lol

To be honest, the way to find out about rice is to buy some, and look at it. All the fancy lingo on the packaging is all just advertising. It doesn't mean crapola unless they specify how long something's been aged. Also, the rice importer can order basically whatever quality they want, and the miller will produce it for them, because the quality is basically based on how much of the bulk product gets rejected by the line. What causes a grain to be rejected? If it's damaged, broken, discolored, chalky, or a paddy grain.

Here's some stuff to look for.

- Pour out a couple of handfuls, and put it onto a plate.
- How many broken grains do you see? Ideally you should be at like 2% or less of the grains being broken grains. The fewer the broken grains, the higher the quality.
- How many grains are yellow or brown or otherwise discolored? This does not refer to the rice grains that have a light brown or beige color in the tips of the product. That's simply a sign of longer aging. I'm talking about the whole grain itself is not white or off-white. The higher the quantity of weird colors in the rice grains means that you have a lower quality of rice, because their color sorting machine is allowing more undesirable grains through.
- How many grains are "chalky" grains? This means that the grain is completely opaque, and looks like it's made of chalk. These are extremely undesirable in the final product, because they don't absorb water as readily during the soaking process, and will tend to break and release starch, making your pot of rice mushy. You want as few chalky grains as possible.
- What is the length? Longer Basmati is always more prized than shorter. Avg length of basic grains that are the cheap $1/lb rice should be around 7 mm in length. The super long ones are around 8.5 mm and above. I'm not saying you should get a ruler, but knowing roughly what you're looking for can give you an idea of where the rice stands in terms of quality. If it's brown Basmati, it's going to be even longer by about 1/2 mm.
- Aroma. Basmati should have a distinct aroma. If it smells like moldy hay, it's bad quality rice. If it smells like plastic, it's bad quality. If it has a delicate, floral nutty aroma right in the bag, it's good quality.
- How bright white are the grains? Properly aged Basmati is never pure white. It's why when you get certain brands that come in a blue bag and are ubiquitous in American markets, the rice grains look so bright white when they're poured out of the bag. They're technically aged, because all Basmati is aged, but it's aged for like 3 months. Trash.

A lot of Basmati brands will have clear windows on the sides of the bag so that you can do a visual inspection of the rice before you buy it.

DekeThornton posted:

Thanks! I'll try soaking it the next time I make it.

Another question. How long does rice last, if stored in a way that keeps moisture out. I just found some arborio in the back of my cupboard, in an opened vacum bag, re-sealed with a bag clip. Sell by date is in october this year, but it's probably been opened for a year or two. I can't remember when I bought it. It looks fine, so I assume it's safe to eat, but I guess the quality might have degraded. It has been stored in a dry and dark cupboard at normal room temperatures.

Here's the cool thing: white rice, when kept in an airtight container away from moisture and heat will have a shelf life of roughly 35 years at its best taste and quality. It's still safe to consume after that, but it won't be at its peak. That said, for rice that relies on higher moisture content for stickier grains, you want the freshest you can get your hands on. It won't be unsafe or bad to eat, but it won't be as good as freshly milled product. Any of your short and medium grain rices you'll want to eat as soon as you can. However, like I said, it's not unsafe, but it won't be as perfect as the fresh stuff.

mystes posted:

a typical one would be nori, bonito flakes, sesame seeds, and seasoning so maybe try that to start
Thanks for answering this, Mystes. I know from rice, and not so much furikake.

Dans Macabre posted:

Why do rice bag instructions call for too much water?

Usually i do 1c rice to 1.5c water.
Because everyone's stove is different, and they want to prevent you from adding too little water. Add too much water, and your rice is a little mushy. Add too little water, and the undercooked grains can cause serious stomach indigestion. Do not eat undercooked rice. You won't die from it, but it'll mess up your stomach and you'll be in way more pain than is necessary.

For stove top rice cooking, in the odd case that I don't have a rice cooker, I'll do pasta method. Lots and lots and lots of water, rapidly boiling, with rice thrown in along with a bit of salt and a few drops of oil. Once it's done, the excess water gets drained off, and the rice served. Otherwise, I use the rice cooker's measuring cup, and fill to the appropriate line in the rice cooker pot.

PokeJoe posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

PokeJoe posted:

I stock several different varieties, because I need them on hand. It's best to keep on hand what you'll use on a regular basis, and buy in some specific stuff for fun when and as the mood strikes you. I have my ponni rice which is the everyday eating rice. I have Basmati for spiced rice dishes and stir-fries. I have parboiled idli rice (short grain rice, basically) for making dosa. I keep red cargo rice, black rice, and brown rice on hand for making multigrain rice. I have short grain rice because the fiancee's mom prefers short grain to long grain. I have sushi rice because sometimes you just want some sushi at home. I've got short grain glutinous rice for when I'm in a Korean food mood. I have Jasmine Hom Mali for when I'm in the mood for it (which is frequent). I have all this stuff because I actively use it all the time. If you're happy with a Jasmine or Basmati for special occasions, and a basic long grain white rice for everything else, that should be plenty.

CommonShore posted:

Do you have any opinions on North American wild rice?

I've had lots of different kinds of rice over the years - african red rice, thai black rice, some others. What's an interesting kind of rice that I should try? Yes, I saw your note about choosing rice for the context - I'll cook and serve the interesting rice in a method you designate as appropriate.

If it's IN something, I'm quite fond of wild rice. I don't care for it on its own. The texture is too challenging. However, in a multi grain rice mix? That stuff is baller as heck.

Over the years I've found myself growing fond of short grain rice. The fat little grains are so freaking cute, and it cooks up nice and soft while not being mushy. When I have time, I'll do like a Korean multigrain rice situation, where it's mostly short grain white glutinous rice, short grain brown rice, some split hulled mung beans, some purple rice/black rice/forbidden rice, barley, and a spot of millet to round things out. It's primarily the white glutinous rice that's the base with al the other grains in smaller quantities. You mix it all up and cook it together. It's delightful.

If you can get your hands on some good quality Basmati rice, try your hand at Tahdig. I made some at Wroughtirony's parents' house, and it got eaten up very quickly. Essentially it's a 2 step cooking process. First you rinse the Basmati thoroughly, and soak it for like 30 minutes. If you use parboiled Basmati, you soak it an hour. Then drain off all the soaking liquid. You then bring a large stock pot full of water [with plenty of salt (salty like if you're making pasta), a few sprinkles of ground cardamom, and a few drops of olive oil] to a full rushing boil. You boil the rice for like 5 or 6 minutes. You want the outside to be jusssst cooked, and the inside to be firm, but not hard like a raw grain. You want the rice to be undercooked.

Then you combine like 1/4 of the cooked rice with a couple tablespoons of good olive oil and a TB or so of saffron water. (Saffron water is saffron threads that have been ground in a pestle and mortar, and then steeped in hot boiling water. 2 big pinches of saffron will steep in like 1/4 cup of water.) You spread that over the bottom of a nonstick pan. Then you dump the remaining rice on top of the carefully spread out saffron-y rice, and add the remaining rice atop that. You sprinkle on the remaining saffron water, about 1/4 cup of water, and another healthy TB of olive oil. Cover the top of the pot with a kitchen towel, and put the lid on top. Set over your lowest slowest simmer burner, and let it simmer away for like 45 minutes. When it's done cooking, the rice will be fragrant, and there'll be a super crispy disc of rice on the bottom.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

For rice, that instruction is typically because they've fortified vitamins that would be in the outside of brown rice as a powder on the white rice. Washing will remove it again.

Washing makes it technically less nutritious, but for a western diet it probably won't matter, you're not likely to get beriberi even if your rice has no thiamine

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

If it's IN something, I'm quite fond of wild rice. I don't care for it on its own. The texture is too challenging. However, in a multi grain rice mix? That stuff is baller as heck.

Over the years I've found myself growing fond of short grain rice. The fat little grains are so freaking cute, and it cooks up nice and soft while not being mushy. When I have time, I'll do like a Korean multigrain rice situation, where it's mostly short grain white glutinous rice, short grain brown rice, some split hulled mung beans, some purple rice/black rice/forbidden rice, barley, and a spot of millet to round things out. It's primarily the white glutinous rice that's the base with al the other grains in smaller quantities. You mix it all up and cook it together. It's delightful.

If you can get your hands on some good quality Basmati rice, try your hand at Tahdig. I made some at Wroughtirony's parents' house, and it got eaten up very quickly. Essentially it's a 2 step cooking process. First you rinse the Basmati thoroughly, and soak it for like 30 minutes. If you use parboiled Basmati, you soak it an hour. Then drain off all the soaking liquid. You then bring a large stock pot full of water [with plenty of salt (salty like if you're making pasta), a few sprinkles of ground cardamom, and a few drops of olive oil] to a full rushing boil. You boil the rice for like 5 or 6 minutes. You want the outside to be jusssst cooked, and the inside to be firm, but not hard like a raw grain. You want the rice to be undercooked.

Then you combine like 1/4 of the cooked rice with a couple tablespoons of good olive oil and a TB or so of saffron water. (Saffron water is saffron threads that have been ground in a pestle and mortar, and then steeped in hot boiling water. 2 big pinches of saffron will steep in like 1/4 cup of water.) You spread that over the bottom of a nonstick pan. Then you dump the remaining rice on top of the carefully spread out saffron-y rice, and add the remaining rice atop that. You sprinkle on the remaining saffron water, about 1/4 cup of water, and another healthy TB of olive oil. Cover the top of the pot with a kitchen towel, and put the lid on top. Set over your lowest slowest simmer burner, and let it simmer away for like 45 minutes. When it's done cooking, the rice will be fragrant, and there'll be a super crispy disc of rice on the bottom.

Yeah wild rice is a go-to in soup. I prefer it to pretty much any other grain for that purpose. It's native to the area that I'm from, so I was just curious what you thought about it, and we're more or less in agreement.

I'll try that dish. Will keep an eye out for good basmati. If I just go to an indian market and buy the most expensive parboiled basmati will that likely be what I want?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I violently hate parboiled, so I always use raw basmati. But if you do end up going that route, look for Aahu Barah Sella Basmati. Pretty much everyone who uses parboiled swears by that brand.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

dino. posted:

I violently hate parboiled, so I always use raw basmati. But if you do end up going that route, look for Aahu Barah Sella Basmati. Pretty much everyone who uses parboiled swears by that brand.

Not gonna lie, this thread did encourage me to buy a small bag of Golden Sella off of Amazon, so if that pans out I'm gonna give this brand a shot.

Also some furikake with some bonito in it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess the basmati I've been using isn't parboiled and I've been pretty happy with it but I'm a bit curious about the parboiled type now.

Red cargo rice sounds intriguing too

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

dino. posted:

Here's the cool thing: white rice, when kept in an airtight container away from moisture and heat will have a shelf life of roughly 35 years at its best taste and quality. It's still safe to consume after that, but it won't be at its peak. That said, for rice that relies on higher moisture content for stickier grains, you want the freshest you can get your hands on. It won't be unsafe or bad to eat, but it won't be as good as freshly milled product. Any of your short and medium grain rices you'll want to eat as soon as you can. However, like I said, it's not unsafe, but it won't be as perfect as the fresh stuff.

Cool! I guess risotto is on the menu soon then.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

What questions should I ask when buying rice? I'm your average white girl and sometimes I get overwhelmed when we go to the asian/middle eastern market for ingredients. I basically just pick up what the recipe calls for by matching up words as best I can... If there are two brands of basmati on the shelf, what can I ask or look for to determine which I want?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If it’s a crowded shop, ask someone what brand they buy. Double bonus if it’s a dude. He’ll talk your ear off. If it’s not, talk to the shop keeper and ask which one they’d suggest. Smaller shops have proprietors who curate the stuff in there. They’re proud of the good stuff they have, and want you to try it too, so that you come back to their shop and get more. It’s like that next level Moroccan olive oil we found in Portland. You could tell the shop keeper was like “you guys made a good choice.”

If it’s a very big shop, legit someone will know someone in the shop who can help you.

IMO, for Jasmine, try to find the stuff with the green Hom Mali seal on it. Look for the furthest expiry date you can find. White rice lasts a long time, but Jasmine rice is best when it’s fresh. Generally the best by date will be 24 months from the processing date.

For Basmati, look for Lal Mahal, India Gate, Kohinoor, or Dunar Elonga. Barring that, ask for help with the specific dish you’re looking to make, and they’ll lead you right.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What's the best way to save undercooked rice? Throw more water in and flip the cooker back on?

Fried rice - cold precooked rice to start, or is there a faster way?

Freezing cooked rice - good idea?

Is there some kind of treatment to stop those little bugs from hatching in my brown rice that doesn't involve permanent freezing?

Do you know anything about rice wine vinegar, what kinds or brands to try?

What is the purpose of those plastic liner bags on the inside of plastic rice sacks? They're always perforated and shredded, do they even do anything?

You're stuck in a hotel room, It's 3 am and restaurants are closed, how do you make a portion of rice?

What else can I do with all these old 8kg rice sacks i keep accumulating? I'm already making accessories out of them, like this rucksack:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Decoy Badger posted:

cold precooked rice usually fries up pretty fast, how much faster fo you need it to be?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Earwicker posted:

cold precooked rice usually fries up pretty fast, how much faster fo you need it to be?

Not having to precook and chill rice would speed things up quite a bit, really.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh good point, i didnt think of it that way because for me fried rice just means using leftovers

but yea unfortunately if the rice isnt cold when you fry it, i think it will be kind of mushy and gross

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
im a rice newbie that uses a rice cooker for his rice and sometimes puts a chicken bullion cube in it or puts onion powder in for flavor. i really put no further thought into making rice. I use the same white rice (i couldn't even tell you the type) for everything when I make rice and have it as a side dish.

is there any low hanging advice to make rice taste noticeably better? Like, I just started salting my water when making pasta and its noticeably so much better with very little added effort and trivial cost. is there anything like that for rice?

also my eyes popped out of their sockets when I saw the short thread title onto to see the first post was a full treatise on rice.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Decoy Badger posted:

What's the best way to save undercooked rice? Throw more water in and flip the cooker back on?

Bingo.

quote:

Fastest way is to buy precooked rice either in those microwave pouches, or frozen cooked rice. Next fastest is to go the parboiled rice route, because even when cooked, the grains won’t fall apart on you. That said, the texture of the final dish will have the texture of parboiled rice which you’ll either like or hate. There are no in betweens.

Next down in speed but still having really good flavour is to cook your rice in the rice cooker, and immediately transfer it to a cookie sheet so that it cools down quickly. If you have a small table fan, you can set it up to blow air over the surface so it cools down even faster.

quote:

Freezing cooked rice - good idea?

Yes! In fact, I do it all the time.

quote:

Is there some kind of treatment to stop those little bugs from hatching in my brown rice that doesn't involve permanent freezing?

Yes. Freeze it for 3 weeks and then transfer to an air tight container.

quote:

Do you know anything about rice wine vinegar, what kinds or brands to try?

I’m out of my depth on this one. I don’t use a ton of vinegar in my cooking.

quote:

What is the purpose of those plastic liner bags on the inside of plastic rice sacks? They're always perforated and shredded, do they even do anything?

Protect the rice from any stuff on the surface of the outer bag.

quote:

You're stuck in a hotel room, It's 3 am and restaurants are closed, how do you make a portion of rice?
a rice cooker. Never leave home without one.

quote:

What else can I do with all these old 8kg rice sacks i keep accumulating? I'm already making accessories out of them, like this rucksack:

This is neat! I usually throw them out, because I can’t be bothered to do anything with them.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

buglord posted:

im a rice newbie that uses a rice cooker for his rice and sometimes puts a chicken bullion cube in it or puts onion powder in for flavor. i really put no further thought into making rice. I use the same white rice (i couldn't even tell you the type) for everything when I make rice and have it as a side dish.

is there any low hanging advice to make rice taste noticeably better? Like, I just started salting my water when making pasta and its noticeably so much better with very little added effort and trivial cost. is there anything like that for rice?

also my eyes popped out of their sockets when I saw the short thread title onto to see the first post was a full treatise on rice.

Simple: dump a packet of sazon con achiote in the rice cooker along with your rice and water. Game changer. Yes, salt your cooking water too. Also add like a tablespoon of olive oil in with the rice.

Better: fry off some cumin seeds in a bit of canola oil until the cumin is fragrant. Combine with the cooked rice. Sooooo good.

God tier: grind some saffron (like a pinch or two) in a mortar and pestle, and combine with like a tablespoon of water. Toss through the cooked rice. It’ll be delightful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

dino. posted:

Simple: dump a packet of sazon con achiote in the rice cooker along with your rice and water. Game changer. Yes, salt your cooking water too. Also add like a tablespoon of olive oil in with the rice.
Isn't most sazon quite salty already unless you specifically buy the no salt version?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

dino. posted:

God tier: grind some saffron (like a pinch or two) in a mortar and pestle, and combine with like a tablespoon of water. Toss through the cooked rice. It’ll be delightful.

Am I looking in the wrong place if it’s 18 dollars for half a gram? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
We regret to inform you that saffron is legit expensive; it’s the pistil of a flower and picked by hand so even the cheapest stuff has a high labour and scarcity cost.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 18, 2023