Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I bought 16 packets of sazon con achiote for $3.38 after tax. This will have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nine of Eight posted:

We regret to inform you that saffron is legit expensive; it’s the pistil of a flower and picked by hand so even the cheapest stuff has a high labour and scarcity cost.
I was reading the Guardian's section of Christmas cookies, and one of them, "golden milk cookies", used up two teaspoons of saffron. Not two pinches. Two teaspoons.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There is "Mexican Saffron" which is the pestle of marigolds, gets good color, and you could use 2 teaspoons of. Maybe they mean that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When my grandmother was provisioning her kitchen after she got married, she asked the grocer for half a pound of saffron. (This was South Africa around 1935, so probably even more exotic and relatively expensive than it is now).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

buglord posted:

Am I looking in the wrong place if it’s 18 dollars for half a gram? :negative:

as others have said, saffron is indeed expensive.. but that seems like a lot. i haven't bought saffron in quite a while, but when i looked online just now $18/gram was literally the first google result (from walmart) and just like two or three results down there was a different brand for $8.50/gram so yes if you are just going by the first result you get, you are indeed looking in the wrong place. can't speak to either brand tho they both claim to be organic pure ceritified actual saffron

also its a pretty strong flavor. making cookies with two teaspoons sounds kind of crazy unless its like.. a lot of cookies

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 19, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I see between $11-16 Canadian per gram from my reputable local spice store, depending on which variety you want.

Everyone should have a local spice store.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Is saffron really that expensive over in the US? Here it's about 2,50-4 USD per gram, for normal quality that you can find in any grocery store. Normally pre-ground Not the most premium I assume, but it is real saffron and Sweden is not a cheap country.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
If you’re buying retail, yes, because it is a “premium” spice (and also because it is imported from the other side of the world and everyone wants their cut)

It’s not too bad if you can get it wholesale or whatever, grocery stores just know they can charge Karen an arm and a leg because they found a recipe online that calls for it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There is "Mexican Saffron" which is the pestle of marigolds, gets good color, and you could use 2 teaspoons of. Maybe they mean that.
Nope. It was a South Asian chef. Golden milk sugar cookies. I misremembered, it was only 1 teaspoon of saffron ... for 22 cookies. I use a lot less than that when making a single recipe of saffron bread.

This year's Guardian Christmas baking roundup has some things that look excellent. I'm absolutely making Chetna Makan’s cumin masala crackers in the new year.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I would presume that the fact that the vast majority of the world's saffron production is located in Iran might also contribute to higher prices in the US as opposed to Europe, no?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I would presume that the fact that the vast majority of the world's saffron production is located in Iran might also contribute to higher prices in the US as opposed to Europe, no?

That might be it, although if you look for it you can absolutely pay a lot extra for saffron that is marketed as premium Persian saffron over here as well.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mystes posted:

Isn't most sazon quite salty already unless you specifically buy the no salt version?

Yah it’s salty. If you add Sazón, don’t salt the water very much.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

buglord posted:

I bought 16 packets of sazon con achiote for $3.38 after tax. This will have to do.

Listen. Saffron rice is not a daily driver thing. You should be using the best basmati rice you can find. The best saffron from a Middle Eastern or Indian market. The best olive oil. It’s a luxury.

Sazón on rice is like a quick and basic level up for your rice. Throw in a TB of olive oil, and a few pinches of oregano to level it up further.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
crack a couple eggs on top and call it shakshuka.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coasterphreak posted:

crack a couple eggs on top and call it shakshuka.

That is not a shakshuka.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I just liked that everybody made friends.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Is ok to put a little salt in my rice as it steams? I did it once a long time ago and my friend's mom from Korea acted like it was the worst sin. It was just a pinch.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Carillon posted:

Is ok to put a little salt in my rice as it steams? I did it once a long time ago and my friend's mom from Korea acted like it was the worst sin. It was just a pinch.

I add way way way more than a pinch. Please salt your rice.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

If I want to make risotto, will any short-grain rice do? I'm interested in branching out from widely available Arborio, and Carnaroli isn't available locally; I'd have to order it. Will sushi rice work for risotto?

Also on the subject of saffron, I just opened my Costco circular for next month, and apparently they'll have Greek saffron available at $60 for a 14g jar, which works out to about $4.29/g. Cheapest I've ever seen saffron, though I can't vouch for the quality.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Do you have to deal with organic certifications at all in the rice game? I know that's a big mess since certifiers are basically privatized middlemen.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Meaty Ore posted:

If I want to make risotto, will any short-grain rice do? I'm interested in branching out from widely available Arborio, and Carnaroli isn't available locally; I'd have to order it. Will sushi rice work for risotto?

Also on the subject of saffron, I just opened my Costco circular for next month, and apparently they'll have Greek saffron available at $60 for a 14g jar, which works out to about $4.29/g. Cheapest I've ever seen saffron, though I can't vouch for the quality.

I’ve had it made with sushi rice and it comes out fine. Costco should have arborio.

Re: saffron. If it’s not Persian or Kashmiri all red saffron, I’d avoid it. Spanish and Greek really don’t follow the international grading standards, so they end up with white parts sneaking in. When you’re paying that much for a spice to be used in very special occasions, go spend the big bucks and get the good stuff.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

dino. posted:

I’ve had it made with sushi rice and it comes out fine. Costco should have arborio.

Re: saffron. If it’s not Persian or Kashmiri all red saffron, I’d avoid it. Spanish and Greek really don’t follow the international grading standards, so they end up with white parts sneaking in. When you’re paying that much for a spice to be used in very special occasions, go spend the big bucks and get the good stuff.

Tasmania makes good saffron but that might be a bit niche to get most places.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I got some decent saffron in the Dordogne in France this summer.
I just tried a rice pudding recipe that called for the rice to be fully cooked before adding milk etc. Highly disappointing. The rice tasted much more of rice, and the pudding tasted of what it was: rice cooked with a milky sauce, rather than rice cooked by milk. Hard to express but I want a fan. This current batch of pudding rice also seems firmer than others - the rice doesn’t go very soft but retains a bit of a bite. I prefer my pudding rice soft.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Hi OP have you tried other grains? Barley, buckwheat, millet? How do you feel about them?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

My favourite rice I discovered recently is riceberry. It's really fragrant and I like the texture. What else is similar?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How long is it supposed to take to rinse rice?

I swear I've put it in the rinse basket and run water through it, agitating it, etc, for like 2 minutes and it just doesn't stop running cloudy water.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Annath posted:

I swear I've put it in the rinse basket and run water through it, agitating it, etc, for like 2 minutes and it just doesn't stop running cloudy water.

the point of rinsing it is just to get rid of any possible dirt or bugs in there. you aren't trying to eliminate the cloudiness, that's starch, which comes from the rice itself and will always be there to some extent.

i usually do about 30-40 seconds or so in a sieve personally

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Earwicker posted:

the point of rinsing it is just to get rid of any possible dirt or bugs in there. you aren't trying to eliminate the cloudiness, that's starch, which comes from the rice itself and will always be there to some extent.

i usually do about 30-40 seconds or so in a sieve personally

Well, everything I've read about rinsing rice specifically says to rinse until the water runs clear.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Annath posted:

Well, everything I've read about rinsing rice specifically says to rinse until the water runs clear.

Yeah. Clear is a relative term. At first it will be pretty much completely opaque. Once you’re to slightly cloudy, you’re good.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Black Rice (forbidden rice) :getin:, or maybe people don't like it. I love the stuff for hot pots and thai curries, but my wife absolutely hates it. I think we keep about 5 different types of anything we carry including rice, lentils, dried beans on hand at all times. Off the top of my head: North American wild rice, brown basmati, white basmati, forbidden, short brown glutinous, brown and white jasmine, and I think we have a few others.

However, my question is: are there are a lot of varieties of black rice? Wife hates it because she says it's too strong, which is a bit surprising as we're a major foodie family anyway and live on strong spices. Might have been the brand I got last time.

An option on the saffron (correct me if I'm wrong so I don't send someone down the wrong path), I would *guess* is to consider ordering from somewhere like the Spice House online for uncommon or expensive spices if you don't have local stores that carry it. To me, they seemed to be more precise about what makes a spice and region sensitivity so on. IE: It's not just "curry" or "mustard" or "cinnamon" or "salt", etc.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
i love the rice thread, and also eating rice

dino. posted:

I add way way way more than a pinch. Please salt your rice.

after cooked? before?

i have certainly come around to this, especially when eating rice with something that might taste under-seasoned when served on unsalted rice

cilantro, lime, salt and rice is very good base for beans and/or sweet potatoes

--

for the people who dont wash rice: i have been in a huge rice silo in a port and it is less clean that you'd probably think. its an industrial facility for putting a huge amount of grain onto a boat. each individual grain is whatever, but in aggregate, give that rice a rinse

also, sketchy man lift

tbh, the rice supply chain is probably very interesting

--

re: soaking rice...

is there a general recommendation for soaking rice?

i mostly eat short grain brown rice and soak it about an hour. i think comes out better and ends up using less time/energy (but also less water, you have to adjust)

up to a few hours is pretty much fine as well?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

drk posted:

i love the rice thread, and also eating rice

after cooked? before?

i have certainly come around to this, especially when eating rice with something that might taste under-seasoned when served on unsalted rice

cilantro, lime, salt and rice is very good base for beans and/or sweet potatoes

Before. Put it in the cooking water. Let the salt get absorbed by the rice as it cooks.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Do you have an opinion about rice cookers? Or do you think the cheap aroma cookers work just as well as the zojorishi ones?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Having used both a $20 cooker from target, and now a high end zojiroshi, I vastly prefer the zojiroshi.

The cheap ones tend to burn the rice if left on warming mode, while I can put the rice in to cook the night before and when I wake up 8 hours later it's as fresh as it was when it first finished cooking.

Also, the zojiroshi has settings for different kinds of rice. The cheap ones do all kinds of rice just "alright", while the zojiroshi's rice modes do all of them have really well.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Thesaurus posted:

Why should I rinse my rice? I've literally never done it

Depends on where you live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3CHsbNkr3c

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Thesaurus posted:

Why should I rinse my rice? I've literally never done it

Just giving it a quick splash of water prior to boiling will usually, assuming it's not just me being insane, leave it feeling softer after cooking while not doing so will leave it firmer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Giving it a good wash really changes it as you wash off the starch. Makes it easier to fry as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Threw some spices in the rice cooker tonight and, goddamn, you might have changed my world. I don't know why I supposed I should use it to ONLY COOK RICE, alone and unaltered.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
This might be too specific, but do you know where you can get good rice and/ or a good variety of rice in the UK? Or is Tilda broadly speaking fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Annath posted:

So this is down to your pot size for rinsing rice. Most people use a cute little bowl or a strainer. This is not sufficient. For my 3 cups of rice I make, I use a giant stainless steel mixing bowl. I add plenty of water and swish the rice grains around. I decant it almost completely. Then, I do it again 3 or 4 more times. By the end of that, the water will run clear. M

Re: black rice

I’m not 100% familiar with all the kinds, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t just one variety. It’s not a thing I’ve looked too deeply into, but is a rabbit hole that should be interesting as heck.

Re: Soaking of rice

White rice should be soaked about 20 minutes if it’s like a basmati. Jasmine is about the same. Parboiled rice should be soaked an hour or so. Glutinous rice should be at least 4 hours if not overnight. Any brown rice in my opinion, should get an overnight soak for best results.

Re: Salt

Always add a good bit of salt to the cooking water. Rice is a starch! It needs salt.

Re: Rice cookers

I’ve owned both expensive ones from Zoji and Cuckoo. I’ve owned cheap ones where it’s a basic aluminium pot with a glass lid. The Aroma enclosed model is the best value for money. It won’t keep rice warm indefinitely, but it does cook the rice consistently and well. It barely costs more than the glass lidded garbage, and is an absolute beast in the kitchen. The high end brands are good also, but in my opinion not worth the 3 - 10 times higher price tag.

Re: spices

Yeah, I’ll usually add spices after cooking if they’re whole. If it’s ground spices, they’re good to go in before cooking. It’s an absolute game changer.

Re: Basmati

I’m not talking as a rice importer, but as a person who likes rice. I would avoid the rice in mainstream markets, as they’ll generally spending a lot of money on advertising and not product itself. Find an Indian store, and ask the shop keeper what brand they use at home.