Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

dino. posted:

Re: Salt

Always add a good bit of salt to the cooking water. Rice is a starch! It needs salt.

If someone cooks their rice without salt they're some sort of alien doppelganger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

dino. posted:

So this is down to your pot size for rinsing rice. Most people use a cute little bowl or a strainer. This is not sufficient. For my 3 cups of rice I make, I use a giant stainless steel mixing bowl. I add plenty of water and swish the rice grains around. I decant it almost completely. Then, I do it again 3 or 4 more times. By the end of that, the water will run clear. M

This is what I use:

Inomata Plastic Japanese Rice Washing Bowl with Side and Bottom Drainers

mystes
May 31, 2006

As long as I'm not making a ton of rice I just wash the rice in the inner pot from the rice cooker because I'd rather lose a few grains washing it than have to try to move it into another container

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Dino I wanted you to know that I decided to live on the wild side this week. Instead of buying Calrose I bought some medium grain us grown Korean rice.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

If someone cooks their rice without salt they're some sort of alien doppelganger.

My family deliberately avoids excessive salt/oil and we don't generally cook with it in pasta or rice. I mean we are firmly used to not cooking using salt for either, although when recipes call for salt we usually just adjust the amounts based on whatever we incorporate. IE: recipe calls for a soup with salt and veggie broth, we'd prob reduce salt because we're sensitive to excessive salt/oil and thus kinda hate restaurants going ham on salt.

So I don't know? I mean we still love instant ramen like nong shim and so make exceptions but I don't know what's supposed to be so magically different with rice / pasta.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 28, 2023

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It makes it taste better

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Yeah there’s your problem. You need to flood the rice with water, swish it around, and then decant it. That bowl is small to begin with, and isn’t letting you fill up with water. You’re not defrosting peas. You’re washing rice.

@wiggles: I see you’re taking a walk on the wild side

Mystes: I avoid using the rice pot, because moisture can and will damage the electronics on the bottom of the rice cooker. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But some day. I’d rather extend the life of the cooker.

Re: salt - idk I thought food was supposed to need to be salted to hell and back because my dad had the same wrong idea that salt is the demon. So no salting food during cooking ever. Meanwhile homeboy was scarfing down salted peanuts by the truckload. loving hypocrite.

When I moved out on my own, and learned that I can salt as I go along, and add enough to bring up the flavour in food, it was a game changer. Food actually tasted nice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I followed your advice and asked the guy at the Indian store which rice to buy. He may have rooked me as he directed me away from the obvious big pile of India Gate stuff in shinier, more western-style packaging (which was on "deal") toward "Swami" brand, which comes in a duller looking fabric bag and which they stock less (and which was not on "deal" and thus $6 more :o).

I would have needed his advice anyway as there were three kinds of India Gate basmatti - "Feast Rozzana," and then two different versions with superlative names like "Excel" or "Premium" or "Super" which I can't recall.

Gonna try your saffron recipe this weekend, probably with some kind of dal and pumpkin, after one or two more Christmas leftover meals to clean out my fridge.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Made the nice saffron rice last night and i have a few thoughts

1) I made my water roughly as saline as I would for pasta and it probably wouldn't have hurt to have added a bit more salt. I was just eyeballing though so next time I try this I'll pay more attention. I wonder if salting the soaking water would make a bigger difference?

2) I didn't have as much saffron as I thought I did and it wasn't that fresh. It was enough to give some colouration but I can't really taste/smell it, so I'll try that again some time when I get more.

3) My (electric conduction) stove must go lower than yours because while I did get some crisping, I would have liked more. Next time I might turn up the heat for a few minutes right before serving.

4) I'm an olive oil fiend so I might add even more next time.

Still a tasty dish and still delightful with the nice rice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sometimes I think getting a rice maker might improve my life. Typically I'm cooking basmati by washing it then boiling it on a stovetop in 1.5x water for 5-10 minutes, I'd say 2-4 times a week. It turns out well, and I've actually gotten compliments and people asking for my "recipe" (I think people tend to use too much water and don't know to wash it when making stirfry/fried rice). But I've never actually used a rice maker, is there a level beyond, or would I just be wasting money?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

Sometimes I think getting a rice maker might improve my life. Typically I'm cooking basmati by washing it then boiling it on a stovetop in 1.5x water for 5-10 minutes, I'd say 2-4 times a week. It turns out well, and I've actually gotten compliments and people asking for my "recipe" (I think people tend to use too much water and don't know to wash it when making stirfry/fried rice). But I've never actually used a rice maker, is there a level beyond, or would I just be wasting money?

You can get an aroma rice cooker for ~$30 new when it's not on sale.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I used to use a similar stovetop method whenever I would cook rice (wash, bring it to a boil in a similar amount of water, then reduce to low and let it simmer/steam for ~20 minutes, don't take off the lid leave the lid on LEAVE THE LID ON), but I often felt like I'd have to baby that specific pot to prevent any foam from boiling over out of the pot. For me, having a rice cooker was more of a convenience thing to let me spin one less plate while preparing a meal. Wash the rice, throw the rice into the rice cooker, hit a button, then start preparing the rest of the meal.

A $30 Aroma is super cheap, and does the job pretty well, but will definitely slightly brown the rice on the very bottom of the pot. I still have mine in my cabinets just-in-case I need to cook an amount of rice more than my Zojirushi can handle. It will make cooking a meal significantly more convenient, but if you can already cook a pot of rice well it's not strictly necessary.

One thing that I've always been curious about is what are the midrange options like? Like if you wanted something better than an Aroma, but not as expensive as a Zojirushi, what options do you have? Or is the answer to just buy a low end Zojirushi?

[Edit] One neat thing about cheap rice cookers, however, is how they work. Technology Connections made a video about it and it was super neat seeing how simple and clever it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 30, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Moon Monster posted:

Rice is my cooking Achilles Heel, so a rice cooker is very good for me. It’s also
Super convenient: at some point I just put the rice on, let it cook, fluff it up a bit when it’s done and leave it to keep warm until I’m ready.and it’s always good.

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 30, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

It's less about being better and more about being able to dump rice into it and come back 30 minutes later with zero intervention/monitoring and always have perfect rice

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

It's less about being better and more about being able to dump rice into it and come back 30 minutes later with zero intervention/monitoring and always have perfect rice

^^^^^:nods enthusiastically:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It's also about being better. Or at least, producing a particular flavor profile that's preferred in particular cuisines. Pressure = higher boiling temp of water = higher cooking temp = more starches broken down into sugars = preferred in at least east Asian cooking. This was the reason for the old assumption that you should never watch rice cook, just leave it unopened and hope; older cookware tended far heavier and could build up a better head of steam.

So you end up with a hard distinction between light cooking pans (and the very cheapest rice cookers that are just a hot plate with no temperature control and a built-in pan) on one side, which produce a starchy texture and a more aromatics-forward flavor, and a wide spectrum of any latching cooker/steaming basket/Chinese and Japanese traditional heavy ceramic pots/Korean heavy iron pots more akin to a dutch oven/actual dutch ovens that produce a smoother texture and sweeter flavor. Where you go on either side of this has other dimensions that can be seen as better/worse, like whether you get a crust (modern dedicated cookers generally try to emulate the steamed product, and don't do this until you get into higher-end models with dedicated modes for it) or the new trend at the very top of ultrasonic treatment (further breaks down starches while also creating a rough surface microtexture and more surface area for fluffiness and better sauce-stickage and especially better frying,) but this is the big gap and using the right style for the cuisine is vital.

Also, in any of the second type, try a square of kombu on top while it cooks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Personally I have failed at making rice in the rice cooker, well it's always edible, but I've managed to get rice I felt was too mushy. I think it's easier to get rice just the way I like it in the pot. But I am more used to using a pot or big sauce pan, my SO is more used to using the rice cooker.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

dino. posted:

Re: spices

Yeah, I’ll usually add spices after cooking if they’re whole. If it’s ground spices, they’re good to go in before cooking. It’s an absolute game changer.
Can you talk me through this? I routinely add whole cumin or saffron to rice before it cooks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just got a zojirushi for Christmas. I don't know that I would have spent my own money on it, but then, I am a philistine and never really cared that our ancient $10 Walmart special made the rice gloopy. I cannot deny that it is extremely cute, between the happy elephant logo and the little songs it plays at you :3:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Are weevils an issue since you are importing and aging a metric fuckton of rice? I had weevils in my rice once and it was a mess.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

buglord posted:

im a rice newbie that uses a rice cooker for his rice and sometimes puts a chicken bullion cube in it or puts onion powder in for flavor. i really put no further thought into making rice. I use the same white rice (i couldn't even tell you the type) for everything when I make rice and have it as a side dish.

is there any low hanging advice to make rice taste noticeably better? Like, I just started salting my water when making pasta and its noticeably so much better with very little added effort and trivial cost. is there anything like that for rice?

also my eyes popped out of their sockets when I saw the short thread title onto to see the first post was a full treatise on rice.
another option that tastes good but is more versatile is chicken Better than Bouillon according to the directions, some butter, some pepper, maybe a bay leaf, any spices you especially like. BtB is pretty salty, so give it a try first and see if you want additional salt / how much.

In general you can also just think about what you’re having it with and what flavors would match the rest of your meal — lemon and oregano? lemon and dill? scallions and ginger? The general idea is to do something that complements but doesn’t exactly match your main dish, so if I’m doing Greek souvlaki with lemon, garlic, and oregano, my rice would have lemon, dill, parsley, onions. Down the road, pilaf is the next step up, and it’s not much harder imo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Anne Whateley posted:

another option that tastes good but is more versatile is chicken Better than Bouillon according to the directions, some butter, some pepper, maybe a bay leaf, any spices you especially like. BtB is pretty salty, so give it a try first and see if you want additional salt / how much.

It is so salty. I have made several dishes way too salty if i use a touch too much BtB or use any other salty or brined ingredients. The reduced sodium versions aren't much better about that in my experience.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I like better than bouillon but I don't generally want my rice to be that salty.

(In other dishes that call for stock I'll often add a smaller amount of btb and then instead of adding salt I'll just add more btb at the end to get it up to the desired saltiness which makes it easier to avoid overshooting the desired salt level. It would be great if there was a salt free version but maybe it wouldn't keep.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 8, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Buttchocks posted:

Are weevils an issue since you are importing and aging a metric fuckton of rice? I had weevils in my rice once and it was a mess.

Weevils or pantry moths? We just dealt with an infestation of the fuckers (moths), having had one some years ago. (These came in in some shelled walnuts we bought in France in August). Luckily, having learned from previous experience, most of our open bags of food were in sealed containers. I buy rice from the refill shop (where one takes one's own containers), and when I open it to take rice there are silk threads from the moth larvae - so sealing containers is not just to keep moths and their larvae out, but also to keep them in and stop them escaping into your pantry. So I also wondered if pantry moths were a problem.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just came across this video on a new to me channel mostly about Mexican food and would like to give it a try. (I really like what I saw from the channel in general. A really nice vibe and nice looking recipies, at least to a Mexican cuisine novice like me.) My question is, what kind of rice is she using? We don't really get Mexican rice here in Sweden but to me it looks fairly similar to various risotto rices. Could those be used as a substitute?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kSiLTnKw0I

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

When I cook jasmine or basmati, I add saffron or turmeric, lemon and garlic. Lemon and garlic may not be for everyone but you should definitely color it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

DekeThornton posted:

I just came across this video on a new to me channel mostly about Mexican food and would like to give it a try. (I really like what I saw from the channel in general. A really nice vibe and nice looking recipies, at least to a Mexican cuisine novice like me.) My question is, what kind of rice is she using? We don't really get Mexican rice here in Sweden but to me it looks fairly similar to various risotto rices. Could those be used as a substitute?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kSiLTnKw0I

Mexican rice usually refers to the dish of rice made with tomato, various spices, and other ingredients, not the kind of rice used. In the video, they're using long or medium grain white rice.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. I wondered about the type of rice they typically use in mexico. What kind of medium or long grain? Would basmati work? Some Japanese medium grain rice? Arborio?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Ah, I see what you mean! Usually the kind of rice used by my Mexican relatives is just your bog-standard white rice. Nothing fancy or special. Mostly, it's just bagged Goya or Mahatma brand (whichever is on sale at the time). You could use basmati or whatever medium- to long-grained rice you have available.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Cool, I'll go for basmati then. I just used discounted cured uncooked christmas ham to made a large batch of some bean chili thing, This rice would probably work great with that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m not sure if it’s because I’m washing rice now (thanks to this thread) or salting rice now (thanks to this thread) but the texture is better and I get 90% less rice-crust at the bottom of my rice cooker.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

buglord posted:

I’m not sure if it’s because I’m washing rice now (thanks to this thread) or salting rice now (thanks to this thread) but the texture is better and I get 90% less rice-crust at the bottom of my rice cooker.

I definitely get less rice crust when I wash my rice well.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

DekeThornton posted:

Cool, I'll go for basmati then. I just used discounted cured uncooked christmas ham to made a large batch of some bean chili thing, This rice would probably work great with that.

I just use jasmine for my Mexican rice dishes here. Basmati adds too much of its own flavor.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Groda posted:

I just use jasmine for my Mexican rice dishes here. Basmati adds too much of its own flavor.

Well, I have plenty of both, so I guess I'll just have to try both and compare.:)

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Is there anything special about black rice? What spices would go with it?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Helluva posted:

Is there anything special about black rice? What spices would go with it?

i don't think it's that different from other rice. the main appeal is the color which is caused by chemicals which some people think are good for you.

i just like dark purple or red food. looks tasty.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

when I was visiting a Sino-Thai family the black rice was reserved for the family patriarch and special guests. vOv

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

CommonShore posted:

when I was visiting a Sino-Thai family the black rice was reserved for the family patriarch and special guests. vOv

Oh it's a nice information to have :thunk:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i think it tends to be more expensive because the yields are smaller than usual. so the big shots get the black rice.

not such a problem when you can just buy it in a whole foods though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CommonShore posted:

ahh yes the old "royal/forbidden rice" concept ala https://www.mashed.com/378534/the-reason-black-rice-is-also-called-forbidden-rice/

I have seen a lot of korean restaurants that have it in hotpots. That's kinda what got me started on black rice.