Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

dino. posted:

1121 basmati is a really good variety, and has freakishly long grains. Sella is the Hindi word for parboiled. Soak the rice for about an hour, and discard the soaking water. It will make the cooking happen way more evenly. This is also the perfect rice with which to make Tahdig. Look up a recipe and make it. You will be happy you did.

How can the typical consumer find out about a particular rice? For example, I've got Badshah basmati in currently, which just says '...lovingly sourced from the foothills of the Himalayas, home to the world's best basmati. Once harvested our rice is aged to perfection...' and I'd be really interested to find out more about its provenance and process. I assume that's tricky, though, as for most mass-produced food?

I grew up eating only basmati, and it's the source of one of those terrible childhood memories that sometimes pops up. I went to someone's house for tea where there was chilli and some kind of - I guess - short-grain, non-fragrant rice, and I loudly asked my mum why they had "the cheap rice." I can't imagine how she must have felt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU