Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

buglord posted:

im a rice newbie that uses a rice cooker for his rice and sometimes puts a chicken bullion cube in it or puts onion powder in for flavor. i really put no further thought into making rice. I use the same white rice (i couldn't even tell you the type) for everything when I make rice and have it as a side dish.

is there any low hanging advice to make rice taste noticeably better? Like, I just started salting my water when making pasta and its noticeably so much better with very little added effort and trivial cost. is there anything like that for rice?

also my eyes popped out of their sockets when I saw the short thread title onto to see the first post was a full treatise on rice.
another option that tastes good but is more versatile is chicken Better than Bouillon according to the directions, some butter, some pepper, maybe a bay leaf, any spices you especially like. BtB is pretty salty, so give it a try first and see if you want additional salt / how much.

In general you can also just think about what you’re having it with and what flavors would match the rest of your meal — lemon and oregano? lemon and dill? scallions and ginger? The general idea is to do something that complements but doesn’t exactly match your main dish, so if I’m doing Greek souvlaki with lemon, garlic, and oregano, my rice would have lemon, dill, parsley, onions. Down the road, pilaf is the next step up, and it’s not much harder imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

outside of those who have to manage blood sugar it's entirely a low carb/keto thing. carbs are the devil.

me i love the devil. hail satan.
You aren’t eating brown rice on keto, and it doesn’t have significantly fewer carbs than white rice.

mystes posted:

white rice + fat is going to have a way lower effective glycemic index than brown rice alone.
maybe, but that’s not apples to apples. Brown rice + fat + protein is lower GI than white rice + fat + protein. For bonus points, you can also make it, fridge it, reheat it before eating.

Anyway, brown rice is good and good for you. Fiber is important for everyone, even goons.

Bread Enthusiast posted:

With that much water in there, it splatters all over the place and makes a giant gluey mess of everything in the vicinity
add a tbsp of butter (or other fat) so it doesn’t foam like that

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

So, I got a rice question.

When I cook basmati rice (the only kind I really eat), it always starts to foam and ends up spitting starchy water through the hole in the lid. I tried rinsing and soaking, even tried adding a dab of butter ontop thinking a layer of fat would keep it down. But it's still a mess unless I go and lift the lid to make the foam collapse.

What am I doing wrong and how can I stop it from foaming?

Also, read through the entire thread and it is super interesting. Thank you for making and maintaining the thread!
More butter (or another oil/fat). You don’t need like an insane amount but maybe a Tbsp for my regular small rice cooker. A small dab isn’t enough to ruin the surface tension

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:sigh: What’s a matta rice?