Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

dino. posted:

I violently hate parboiled, so I always use raw basmati. But if you do end up going that route, look for Aahu Barah Sella Basmati. Pretty much everyone who uses parboiled swears by that brand.

Not gonna lie, this thread did encourage me to buy a small bag of Golden Sella off of Amazon, so if that pans out I'm gonna give this brand a shot.

Also some furikake with some bonito in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Sometimes I think getting a rice maker might improve my life. Typically I'm cooking basmati by washing it then boiling it on a stovetop in 1.5x water for 5-10 minutes, I'd say 2-4 times a week. It turns out well, and I've actually gotten compliments and people asking for my "recipe" (I think people tend to use too much water and don't know to wash it when making stirfry/fried rice). But I've never actually used a rice maker, is there a level beyond, or would I just be wasting money?

I used to use a similar stovetop method whenever I would cook rice (wash, bring it to a boil in a similar amount of water, then reduce to low and let it simmer/steam for ~20 minutes, don't take off the lid leave the lid on LEAVE THE LID ON), but I often felt like I'd have to baby that specific pot to prevent any foam from boiling over out of the pot. For me, having a rice cooker was more of a convenience thing to let me spin one less plate while preparing a meal. Wash the rice, throw the rice into the rice cooker, hit a button, then start preparing the rest of the meal.

A $30 Aroma is super cheap, and does the job pretty well, but will definitely slightly brown the rice on the very bottom of the pot. I still have mine in my cabinets just-in-case I need to cook an amount of rice more than my Zojirushi can handle. It will make cooking a meal significantly more convenient, but if you can already cook a pot of rice well it's not strictly necessary.

One thing that I've always been curious about is what are the midrange options like? Like if you wanted something better than an Aroma, but not as expensive as a Zojirushi, what options do you have? Or is the answer to just buy a low end Zojirushi?

[Edit] One neat thing about cheap rice cookers, however, is how they work. Technology Connections made a video about it and it was super neat seeing how simple and clever it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 30, 2023

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

All of this talk about pests in rice got me to panic and throw the bag of golden sella I bought in some glass jars and chuck em in the freezer.

Can you wash and cook rice straight from frozen or would that negatively affect the texture? Or do I just take the jars back out of the freezer after a week or so and all is well?

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 17, 2024

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Tyro posted:

This thread rules.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So I tried making saffron rice with the only saffron I was able to source locally. Usual procedure: golden sella basmati, washed, soaked in fresh water for an hour, drained, added to rice cooker, water to the necessary line and with a generous pinch of salt plus a generous pinch of saffron. The end result tastes...fine, if not much different from usual? But it had a pretty strong metallic scent, and from a quick Google search this means I got got and the saffron I got wasn't actually good, or more likely fake, saffron.

Anyone have a trusted online supplier of the stuff so I don't waste $20 on another bottle of McCormick bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

dino. posted:

https://zaransaffron.com

The threads are all deep deep dark red in color, and the aroma is intense. Do not leave that stuff on your shelf. Throw it in the freezer, and remove tiny pinches as you like.

Thanks for the recommendation! Placed an order for some of their Persian saffron and it finally got delivered today. Cracked open the tin and wow. Night and day difference in aroma compared to the other stuff.