Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Dino! Thanks a ton for this. I just learned about parboiled basmati yesterday in a Syrian grocer, so I was stoked to find this and all the details.

As far as minimizing the supply chain goes, where in the US would you suggest shopping for rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I went and got five# calrose for my daily and sone sooni for my south Asian dishes, thanks Dino for sharing a bunch of stuff I couldn’t parse out from various blogs!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

I remember one of the GWS questions threads had someone who was afraid that white rice will kill him with diabetes if he ate it every day. He was asking for ideas because he moved to some pacific island where everybody eats white rice every day and other starches were comically expensive.
First and last time I had heard of the idea.

White people are scared of dirty, indigenous foods. News at 11.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Rice gets polished down quite a bit to get from brown to white rice. So if you polish 70% of your normal rice away you get very small rice spheres. Those are mostly used for high priced sake, afaik.

https://www.urbansake.com/sake-101/sake-classifications/

Correct. Some Japanese white spirits are made from distilling what could otherwise be sold as Junmai Daiginjo.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Unscrupulous rice dealers will cut the rice with all kinds of foreign bodies like cornstarch, fake rice, bits of plastic, flour, et cetera. That’s why whenever there’s a big rice deal, before the buyer hands over the suitcase of cash to the seller’s heavies, they’ll have someone like dino. come along to cut open a bag with a knife, scoop out some rice, taste it, and (if applicable) nod their heads to say that it’s pure, or maybe even something like “oh yeah,that’s the good poo poo”

Or, just as likely, run it through a quick couple of lab tests looking for % broken grains, moisture content, impurities (rocks and twigs and poo poo). Every distillery does this with every grain delivery, takes only a couple of minutes to waive a truck onto the loading docks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Everett False posted:

My life is now better for having clicked on a forum thread about rice.

I've been taking cooking advice from dino for over a decade but pre-soaking Calrose before putting it in the rice cooker is the one that I will whisper to my children in the womb.

Also, dino! Link your drat cook book! It's very good.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
That's a fascinating problem, since I've never had to think about manufacturing on a scale beyond "commercial kitchen".

Have you tried turning it off and on again? The customer, I mean. :gooncamp:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mushika posted:

Dino, south Louisiana gulf coastal goon here. I've always just used cheap or local medium grain rice for things like jambalaya, gumbo, and etouffee. What is your take on these types of dishes and what rices are appropriate?

I am nowhere the expert, but for these I would recommend Carolina Gold— it keeps its consistency while releasing enough starch to properly thicken the dish.

On a related note, we have shrimp to use up and company coming tomorrow, so tonight is adventures in non-localized paella! We keep bomba rice for this dish specifically, and I'm excited to give it a whirl while the missus does a white elephant thing with her book club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

I hate wasting water (when I was growing up, there was a terrible drought) and word on the street is that the starchy rice water that is a byproduct from when one rinses rice is really good for plants.

It certainly doesn't hurt. Also good for adding body to stock, if you are the save-the-scraps type.