Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Black Rice (forbidden rice) :getin:, or maybe people don't like it. I love the stuff for hot pots and thai curries, but my wife absolutely hates it. I think we keep about 5 different types of anything we carry including rice, lentils, dried beans on hand at all times. Off the top of my head: North American wild rice, brown basmati, white basmati, forbidden, short brown glutinous, brown and white jasmine, and I think we have a few others.

However, my question is: are there are a lot of varieties of black rice? Wife hates it because she says it's too strong, which is a bit surprising as we're a major foodie family anyway and live on strong spices. Might have been the brand I got last time.

An option on the saffron (correct me if I'm wrong so I don't send someone down the wrong path), I would *guess* is to consider ordering from somewhere like the Spice House online for uncommon or expensive spices if you don't have local stores that carry it. To me, they seemed to be more precise about what makes a spice and region sensitivity so on. IE: It's not just "curry" or "mustard" or "cinnamon" or "salt", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

If someone cooks their rice without salt they're some sort of alien doppelganger.

My family deliberately avoids excessive salt/oil and we don't generally cook with it in pasta or rice. I mean we are firmly used to not cooking using salt for either, although when recipes call for salt we usually just adjust the amounts based on whatever we incorporate. IE: recipe calls for a soup with salt and veggie broth, we'd prob reduce salt because we're sensitive to excessive salt/oil and thus kinda hate restaurants going ham on salt.

So I don't know? I mean we still love instant ramen like nong shim and so make exceptions but I don't know what's supposed to be so magically different with rice / pasta.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 28, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CommonShore posted:

when I was visiting a Sino-Thai family the black rice was reserved for the family patriarch and special guests. vOv

ahh yes the old "royal/forbidden rice" concept ala https://www.mashed.com/378534/the-reason-black-rice-is-also-called-forbidden-rice/

I have seen a lot of korean restaurants that have it in hotpots. That's kinda what got me started on black rice.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

therattle posted:

Just seconding dino.'s point about bugs. We have had two pantry moth infestations and they are a loving pain to deal with. (Thankfully the second wasn't as bad because most of our food was in sealed containers due to the lesson learned from the first one).

we learned our lesson when we had mice in the previous house we lived in; by the time we came to the current house we changed our food storage. So now it's basically everything loose is contained in jars and/or in a freezer. There's enough risk of enough different things messing with your food in enough ways.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Switchback posted:

Dino what are your opinions about those pouches of rice you microwave for 90 seconds?

lol uncle Ben's. Stuff is indeed wasteful but I mean there are some instances for it like camping if you're not bringing things to actually cook.

Thus: bring things to cook when you camp, a camping stove + pot and pan and ingredients = full meal.