Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What's the best way to save undercooked rice? Throw more water in and flip the cooker back on?

Fried rice - cold precooked rice to start, or is there a faster way?

Freezing cooked rice - good idea?

Is there some kind of treatment to stop those little bugs from hatching in my brown rice that doesn't involve permanent freezing?

Do you know anything about rice wine vinegar, what kinds or brands to try?

What is the purpose of those plastic liner bags on the inside of plastic rice sacks? They're always perforated and shredded, do they even do anything?

You're stuck in a hotel room, It's 3 am and restaurants are closed, how do you make a portion of rice?

What else can I do with all these old 8kg rice sacks i keep accumulating? I'm already making accessories out of them, like this rucksack:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Earwicker posted:

cold precooked rice usually fries up pretty fast, how much faster fo you need it to be?

Not having to precook and chill rice would speed things up quite a bit, really.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What does purity of rice mean? If my Thai hom mali is 97% pure what's the other 240g floating around in the sack composed of?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
How does modern rice milling work and what happens to the by-products?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I tried making saffron rice with the only saffron I was able to source locally. Usual procedure: golden sella basmati, washed, soaked in fresh water for an hour, drained, added to rice cooker, water to the necessary line and with a generous pinch of salt plus a generous pinch of saffron. The end result tastes...fine, if not much different from usual? But it had a pretty strong metallic scent, and from a quick Google search this means I got got and the saffron I got wasn't actually good, or more likely fake, saffron.

Anyone have a trusted online supplier of the stuff so I don't waste $20 on another bottle of McCormick bullshit?

If you grew up messing with electronics rather than eating saffron, even real saffron will smell like burnt electronics instead of food. Keep eating it and you'll learn to tell the other flavour notes apart. Aside from the smell, it is a relatively subtle flavour.