Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
im a rice newbie that uses a rice cooker for his rice and sometimes puts a chicken bullion cube in it or puts onion powder in for flavor. i really put no further thought into making rice. I use the same white rice (i couldn't even tell you the type) for everything when I make rice and have it as a side dish.

is there any low hanging advice to make rice taste noticeably better? Like, I just started salting my water when making pasta and its noticeably so much better with very little added effort and trivial cost. is there anything like that for rice?

also my eyes popped out of their sockets when I saw the short thread title onto to see the first post was a full treatise on rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

dino. posted:

God tier: grind some saffron (like a pinch or two) in a mortar and pestle, and combine with like a tablespoon of water. Toss through the cooked rice. It’ll be delightful.

Am I looking in the wrong place if it’s 18 dollars for half a gram? :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I bought 16 packets of sazon con achiote for $3.38 after tax. This will have to do.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I’m not sure if it’s because I’m washing rice now (thanks to this thread) or salting rice now (thanks to this thread) but the texture is better and I get 90% less rice-crust at the bottom of my rice cooker.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I bought jasmine rice for the first time because of this thread and im gonna use it in my new rice cooker (my other one became inoperable after i accidentally dented the basket)and im gonna pair this jasmine rice with trader joes broccoli beef.

im not even sure if the two are supposed to go together or what im supposed to adorn jasmine rice with other than salt but the deed is done, I have 10 pounds of it now since there was a sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Buddy I don’t know what compels you to write thousands of words about rice on your off time but I’m so glad you do.

e: this is sincere, btw