Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

therattle posted:

I can’t give an exact amount but it needs more. Maybe 20%? I usually just eyeball it and it’s ok. Brown rice, to me at least, can take a lot of cooking and water, and I think is often served undercooked in a lot of places, which is, I think, why a lot of people don’t like it. It’s not cooked with enough water and it’s too tough. It can bear being cooked with too much water more than too little.

I’d be very curious to see if others agree.

A few days behind but yeah, more water. We eat a shitload of rice (what can I say, I like carbs). So much rice that I one day just gave up and weighed the 6-serving-cups of white rice (turns out to be almost exactly 32 oz) so I just do that by weight now.

We have a no-name brand rice cooker with a stainless steel insert so I can put that part that in the dishwasher. I only mention that in case it has some influence on the results, but I doubt it.

Anyway, when we do have brown rice, I put in 4 of the rice cooker cups but fill the line to 6 water and it comes out perfectly fine. So it's like 50% more water (plus some extra for less rice), but I trial-and-errored it over time and that was the right amount. With that much water in there, it splatters all over the place and makes a giant gluey mess of everything in the vicinity, so I put the whole cooker in the sink for the duration. Then, 40 minutes later or so, it's rice o'clock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

wat.... I could have been doing that all this time instead of using the whole sink.... dangit! I will try that next time - thanks, mysterious stranger!

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

We buy their 50 lb bags of Homai Calrose rice, each bag lasts maybe 9 months to a year for us. I'm not a rice connoisseur, but it seems fine. The bag says it's 'sushi rice', I dunno about that. Seems like ordinary normal rice to me.

I can say it's hella hard to wedge a 50 lb bag of rice in the freezer to kill the bugs so I only do that some of the time. Livin' dangerously, I know. But we do go through it pretty quick in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, after (not) freezing, it's all split into separate 8-quart Cambro food storage containers (from Business Costco). We do the same thing with bread flour from Business Costco, but that is much more of a pain in the rear end to split up cause it tends to get everywhere. Thankfully that is way less often. I think the last bag I bought of flour was in 2021.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

All Carbs Are Beautiful.