Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Helluva posted:

Is there anything special about black rice? What spices would go with it?

i don't think it's that different from other rice. the main appeal is the color which is caused by chemicals which some people think are good for you.

i just like dark purple or red food. looks tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i think it tends to be more expensive because the yields are smaller than usual. so the big shots get the black rice.

not such a problem when you can just buy it in a whole foods though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

PurpleXVI posted:

...I mean, okay, theoretically, let's say a rice weevil gets into my rice, and I boil it along with the rice, and eat it without noticing. Is that just going to be a real gross thing if I DO notice or are they potentially dangerous in some way to eat?

Because I'd say the big difference is that soup left out overnight can absolutely gently caress you up and maybe loving kill you if you get real unlucky.

Also I do live in Denmark. We get some proper winters from time to time.

overnight rice can get you too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ujTYLV2Qo4

but no, weevils aren't poisonous. though if you have guests over they may not be happy to find bugs in their rice.

anyway you'd not just be eating the weevils. you're also eating their poo poo. and any other debris they may leave lying around, like weevil sized candy bar wrappers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm. I've just been keeping my rice in the sack. Maybe time to upgrade to a sack-sized hard plastic container...

How likely are bugs in an apartment nine storeys up, though?

bugs are good at hitching rides to places they want to be. also if you're unlucky they might already be in your food when you buy it. put it in the freezer and then put it into the plastic tub.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

All of this talk about pests in rice got me to panic and throw the bag of golden sella I bought in some glass jars and chuck em in the freezer.

Can you wash and cook rice straight from frozen or would that negatively affect the texture? Or do I just take the jars back out of the freezer after a week or so and all is well?

my understanding is you don't have to leave it in the freezer. you cool it down for a while to kill any live ones and any eggs that might be inside, then you put it into a container outside the freezer. then it will be happy sitting on your pantry shelf with only the ghosts of weevils to haunt you.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
outside of those who have to manage blood sugar it's entirely a low carb/keto thing. carbs are the devil.

me i love the devil. hail satan.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

PurpleXVI posted:

A vital question from outside the forums...

...but it does make me genuinely curious: rice grains do vary in size from cultivar to cultivar, what are the biggest and smallest rice?

i am no expert but a quick search revealed these big bois to me. i need to get me some.

https://thericejournal.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s12284-018-0213-6

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i initially thought they had created a new rice variety with substantial protein in it and then i see they just took rice and pumped pulverized cow into it. mmhmmmm

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

VictualSquid posted:

I once asked the guy at the Turkish market near me for a cheap brand or alternative for saffron to try out saffron rice. He sold me a bag of yellow food coloring.

Imao

it was good enough for child me. what even IS saffron? we just don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Organza Quiz posted:

Two days seems super paranoid to me especially since it gets heated up again before eating it. I usually don't go longer than a week but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

the bug i'm thinking of is bacillus cereus and it doesn't really care if you reheat it. just don't let your rice sit at room temp and it probably won't get you though.