Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone know how they process this sort of rice in the UK?

It's not grown in the UK but is labelled as UK origin as it is processed there (a £900 million industry somehow!). I ask because when I was growing up we'd always buy stuff like that and absolutely never washed it (nor did anyone I know) and it came out fine. When I started buying Jasmine rice abroad or imported short grain rice I quickly learnt that washing made a big difference to getting consistently good cooked rice - I had a go recently at washing that sort of basmati when visiting my parents and even the first rinse was extremely clear, so I wonder if it's prewashed or something?

I noticed that Waitrose has also started stocking own branded Hom Mali rice and it's way better than jasmine rice's I've seen in supermarkets before.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My rice measurements are Nutella glass based. One Nutella glass of dry rice is two (large) servings, then after washing it pour away the water not terribly thoroughly from the rice cooker bowl - then add another full Nutella glass of water and you've got the right amount.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Here's my current rice.

Thai jasmine rice (not hom Mali) comes in a big red 5kg pack with either a cockeral or a dragon on it and stars, along with a fake wax seal. I like this a lot.

Japanese short grained rice, kinda pricey, is fine imo. Cooks well and has good texture.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rice + tinned fish of some kind, whatever sauce (I like chili crisp or mango chutney) + a diced up vegetable or green beans/peas. Incredibly easy, I guess an egg like everyone else says would make it even nicer. You can add coconut milk to the rice in the rice cooker for more taste/calories