Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Nice thread, Dino!

When buying basmati rice I tend to go for the brand in the link below.

https://www.shirdell.se/products/mahmood-basmati-ris-sella-5kg

It seems like it is a parboiled variant. Does that mean I should soak it before cooking? I have never really done that. I just wash and cook it, these days often like pasta in a lot of water. I've been satisfied with the results, but I'm far from an expert on rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

dino. posted:

1121 basmati is a really good variety, and has freakishly long grains. Sella is the Hindi word for parboiled. Soak the rice for about an hour, and discard the soaking water. It will make the cooking happen way more evenly. This is also the perfect rice with which to make Tahdig. Look up a recipe and make it. You will be happy you did.

Thanks! I'll try soaking it the next time I make it.

Another question. How long does rice last, if stored in a way that keeps moisture out. I just found some arborio in the back of my cupboard, in an opened vacum bag, re-sealed with a bag clip. Sell by date is in october this year, but it's probably been opened for a year or two. I can't remember when I bought it. It looks fine, so I assume it's safe to eat, but I guess the quality might have degraded. It has been stored in a dry and dark cupboard at normal room temperatures.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

dino. posted:

Here's the cool thing: white rice, when kept in an airtight container away from moisture and heat will have a shelf life of roughly 35 years at its best taste and quality. It's still safe to consume after that, but it won't be at its peak. That said, for rice that relies on higher moisture content for stickier grains, you want the freshest you can get your hands on. It won't be unsafe or bad to eat, but it won't be as good as freshly milled product. Any of your short and medium grain rices you'll want to eat as soon as you can. However, like I said, it's not unsafe, but it won't be as perfect as the fresh stuff.

Cool! I guess risotto is on the menu soon then.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Is saffron really that expensive over in the US? Here it's about 2,50-4 USD per gram, for normal quality that you can find in any grocery store. Normally pre-ground Not the most premium I assume, but it is real saffron and Sweden is not a cheap country.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I would presume that the fact that the vast majority of the world's saffron production is located in Iran might also contribute to higher prices in the US as opposed to Europe, no?

That might be it, although if you look for it you can absolutely pay a lot extra for saffron that is marketed as premium Persian saffron over here as well.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just came across this video on a new to me channel mostly about Mexican food and would like to give it a try. (I really like what I saw from the channel in general. A really nice vibe and nice looking recipies, at least to a Mexican cuisine novice like me.) My question is, what kind of rice is she using? We don't really get Mexican rice here in Sweden but to me it looks fairly similar to various risotto rices. Could those be used as a substitute?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kSiLTnKw0I

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. I wondered about the type of rice they typically use in mexico. What kind of medium or long grain? Would basmati work? Some Japanese medium grain rice? Arborio?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Cool, I'll go for basmati then. I just used discounted cured uncooked christmas ham to made a large batch of some bean chili thing, This rice would probably work great with that.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Groda posted:

I just use jasmine for my Mexican rice dishes here. Basmati adds too much of its own flavor.

Well, I have plenty of both, so I guess I'll just have to try both and compare.:)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
This thread is really interesting. I really like the insight into the rice business. It has also reaffirmed that the real rice elitists aren't east asians, but Iranians.

Regarding organic food in general I mostly see it as based on superstition with arbitrary lines drawn between what is natural or what is "man made". I mean in organic production you can drown your crops in toxic copper sulphate but much safer modern pesticides are shunned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

VictualSquid posted:

I remember one of the GWS questions threads had someone who was afraid that white rice will kill him with diabetes if he ate it every day. He was asking for ideas because he moved to some pacific island where everybody eats white rice every day and other starches were comically expensive.
First and last time I had heard of the idea.

Being afraid of white rice has been a thing in low carb circles for a good while, just like they are afraid of pasta and white bread. It's not really anything special about rice in that regard. It's just another type of bad carb to them.