Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Thesaurus posted:

Why should I rinse my rice? I've literally never done it

Just giving it a quick splash of water prior to boiling will usually, assuming it's not just me being insane, leave it feeling softer after cooking while not doing so will leave it firmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

dino. posted:

Re: Salt

Always add a good bit of salt to the cooking water. Rice is a starch! It needs salt.

If someone cooks their rice without salt they're some sort of alien doppelganger.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Very interesting reading. Personally I just leave a top-cut-off bag of Basmati rice in my pantry for two months while I work my way through it. Surprisingly I've yet to see any bugs in it, but that may be down to living in a reasonably cold country that's inhospitable to a lot of rice-eating insects, or maybe I just haven't noticed the extra protein.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

dino. posted:

It's sort of like those people who are like "well, I can eat that soup I left out overnight. It hasn't hurt me yet." You'll be fine until you aren't fine. The thing about rice weevils and grain beetles is that they are EXTREMELY tenacious. You get an infestation of one, and basically they will never leave. They can live off of particles of grain or flour that's in the air. They can burrow into tiny little crevices all over your house, and come out at the weirdest places. I'm not here to tell you how to live your life, but unless you're at one of the earth poles (north or south), put your grain into air tight containers to avoid bug infestation, because they are an absolute beast to get rid of once they take hold in your house. Ask me about having to fumigate an entire rear end warehouse, because someone didn't fumigate a container properly when they loaded it overseas, and the entire place got infested.

...I mean, okay, theoretically, let's say a rice weevil gets into my rice, and I boil it along with the rice, and eat it without noticing. Is that just going to be a real gross thing if I DO notice or are they potentially dangerous in some way to eat?

Because I'd say the big difference is that soup left out overnight can absolutely gently caress you up and maybe loving kill you if you get real unlucky.

Also I do live in Denmark. We get some proper winters from time to time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

therattle posted:

It’s partly that it’s not great to eat moth poo poo, dead moths, webs, etc, and partly that they lay eggs loving everywhere and get into everything, and you have to throw out food and do a huge cleaning operation which is massively inconvenient.

If I eat their eggs I will be preventing them from reproducing. Problem solved.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

dino. posted:

Long story longer, the weevils won't harm you. Bonus points if you wash your rice before eating (which you should be doing anyways).

I consider the health reasons to wash rice somewhat eye-rolly, worries about heavy metals and such, at least in a place where food safety is as strictly regulated as in the EU in general(and Denmark in particular), but I do find that a quick wash(literally just put it in sieve and give it a quick splash under the faucet for ten seconds) tends to give the rice a nicer texture. Looks like what we get at our local store is a mixture of Indian and Pakistani imports repackaged(cleaned?) in Poland.

Also, genuinely, very interesting posts. I love to learn more about all these processes and the thought that goes into them, and logistics is just a fascinating topic by itself.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I remember one of the GWS questions threads had someone who was afraid that white rice will kill him with diabetes if he ate it every day. He was asking for ideas because he moved to some pacific island where everybody eats white rice every day and other starches were comically expensive.
First and last time I had heard of the idea.

If you eat only white rice, and practically nothing else, then yes, you can suffer certain vitamin deficiencies(thiamine deficiency aka "beriberi" is the classic), but like... if you eat something with the white rice, like just about any kind of sauce, some meat, maybe a vegetable, then no, there's no inherent risk to eating white rice instead of other starches. It's not something you're likely to encounter unless you have a very bizarre diet, or are in a refugee camp or war zone where eating an even slightly varied diet is a challenge.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A tiny dab of butter improves rice in general.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A vital question from outside the forums...

...but it does make me genuinely curious: rice grains do vary in size from cultivar to cultivar, what are the biggest and smallest rice?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-68293149

quote:

Scientists grow 'meaty' rice hybrid food for protein kick

Scientists have created a new type of hybrid food - a "meaty" rice that they say could offer an affordable and eco-friendly source of protein.

The porous grains are packed with beef muscle and fat cells, grown in the lab.

How do you feel about the existence of this?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

That reminds me of those vitamin containing breeds from a few years ago. They never showed up for sale in my area, do you know if they got popular anywhere?

I know that in some jurisdictions, "Golden Rice" is mired in legal bullshit from farmers and such, preventing it from being grown or sold commercially.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Probably one of the most basic idiot questions that certainly someone in the thread has asked before, but if you had a pick between Jasmine and Basmati rice, which types of dishes/flavours would you feel was a better fit for one of them than the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

dino. posted:

Rice Wisdom

Thanks for the suggestions, based on this I can think of a few dishes where I think I'll try swapping out my usual basmati for jasmine next time to see if it turns out any better.

Now, I note that the cooking instructions on both bags are identical wrt water:rice ratios, would you say this is reasonable advice or that one of them demands a different ratio?