Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mystes posted:

has less of an arsenic problem
There is no such thing as an arsenic problem. :colbert:

I have a rice-cooking problem. I find that basmati doesn't work well in the rice cooker; it gets gummy. Is this just a me thing, or should I be preparing basmati the traditional way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Earwicker posted:

my in-laws have been using rice cookers to make basmati rice their whole lives and its always great. they do that toasting thing i asked about though, i dont know if that helps with the texture

Do they toast on the stove then put it in the cooker? That sounds good.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Huh. I don't think mine has a sauté setting, or am I misunderstanding?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Aha! I was using the rice cooker cups but not soaking. Now I know.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

We regret to inform you that saffron is legit expensive; it’s the pistil of a flower and picked by hand so even the cheapest stuff has a high labour and scarcity cost.
I was reading the Guardian's section of Christmas cookies, and one of them, "golden milk cookies", used up two teaspoons of saffron. Not two pinches. Two teaspoons.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There is "Mexican Saffron" which is the pestle of marigolds, gets good color, and you could use 2 teaspoons of. Maybe they mean that.
Nope. It was a South Asian chef. Golden milk sugar cookies. I misremembered, it was only 1 teaspoon of saffron ... for 22 cookies. I use a lot less than that when making a single recipe of saffron bread.

This year's Guardian Christmas baking roundup has some things that look excellent. I'm absolutely making Chetna Makan’s cumin masala crackers in the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

dino. posted:

Re: spices

Yeah, I’ll usually add spices after cooking if they’re whole. If it’s ground spices, they’re good to go in before cooking. It’s an absolute game changer.
Can you talk me through this? I routinely add whole cumin or saffron to rice before it cooks.