Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i always enjoyed an article about rice in korea and i found it translated to english not-halfassedly today

https://askakorean.blogspot.com/2010/08/ask-korean-news-korean-food-in-america.html

the guy's kinda a hater, but that's in the nature of things

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that guy (the translating guy, not the original article writer) fuckin hates david chang because, as the accusation goes, chang doesn't know poo poo about actual korean food. i find the accusation to hit pretty well, just on chang's surprise at how many banchan there are

here's the guy bein more of a hater in more detail

https://askakorean.blogspot.com/2012/04/korean-on-economist-gets-lunch.html

the exported korean food is pretty fuckin colonial in character, like a lotta exported desi food, so there's some casus belli for hatin' there

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 16, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you gotta tell us which are the poo poo brands of rice, then

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so you basically don't eat east-asian-style short-grain?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I don't know if dino does or does not eat east asian style short grain rice, but if you follow the post you are responding to back, you will see that it is in response to a question about basmati rice originally.

fair cop, guvnor

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
how actual sushi places do it is by washing like, 6 times so lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
koshihikari is deffo the best rice to perform japanese nationalism with, at least

price? lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fun fact: vast majority of general consumer (so not industrial) consumption of oxygen absorbers in the united states is by mormons, who are religiously required to be doomsday preppers and therefore buy that stuff straight from the mormon stores specifically for this purpose

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/oxygen-absorber-packets/5638681574.p

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

I just rucksacked a 5kg bag of nice parkistani basmati from the nearest Turkish market, through a 1 hour transit ride. The Indian market is around 10 minutes further away.
You need a pretty big bag for 10kg bags, especially if you grab other groceries, too.

Are oxygen absorbers worth the effort? And how often do I need to change them when I remove rice for cooking?

they're needed for storage for 6 years, not if you just wanna store for 6 months. so it depends upon the regularity of your rice eating

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you should kramer into the tech bubble thread in yospos, where we've been having a war over salting east asian rice off and on occasionally for like a year or two. not the yospos food thread, the tech bubble thread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

neural tube defect (caused by folic acid deficiency) incidence

so like 0.2% of hispanic peeps' fetuses were saved. in births, spina bifida in specific affected 0.05% of general full term births before fortification, 0.035% after

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 23, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats quite the username to have in the rice thread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fuzzy logic rice cookers are priced significantly higher and are aimed squarely at cultures that eat rice 15 times a week, so east, southeast and south asian peeps. they are superior at rice keeping quality but the actual cooking is basically commodity. with a fuzzy logic machine you can colorably and safely keep your rice for like multiple days in the cooker, eating whatever at mealtimes. there is also less skill required in water ratios with the fuzzy logic machines, it'll give a decent enough result even with too much water, although too little will be a problem.

it is not strictly impossible food safety-wise to do this with rice with meat and eggs in it. sometimes there's an extended warm mode that will keep your rice at like 120f, you can't use that, but keep warm modes keep it at 150f, so that'll be safe. however quality will almost certainly turn to absolute poo poo, especially any egg you add.

east and southeast asian move is almost without exception to not cook anything with the rice, not even salt, and add the soy sauce, salt, broth, egg, whatever after. sometimes you add some kombu, that's it.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 28, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
really the most important thing about the economics of the rice cooker is the depreciation schedule. if you eat rice 15 times a week, a $350 rice cooker will amortize to about 50 cents per rice meal in the first year as you use it, and the things last about 10-20 years with constant usage. if you eat rice once every two weeks, that schedule goes to poo poo. but if your language counts "rice" as synonymous to "food" as most of east asia and much of southeast asia...

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 28, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

therattle posted:

Wouldn’t you just refrigerate and reheat after a full day?

tastes different, due to resistant starch formation

however this:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

nah i dont like reheating food

is a bit ludicrous, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got a list somewhere let me go get it

e:

1. most but not strictly all of the chinese languages
2. japanese
3. korean
4. vietnamese
5. thai
6. tagalog
7. khmer
8. burmese
9. bengali
10. tamil

the script dominance of chinese languages means that in basically all written chinese, whatever dialect, it is that way

notably missing are austro-asiatic languages

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 11, 2024