Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

dino. posted:

I’ve had it made with sushi rice and it comes out fine. Costco should have arborio.

Re: saffron. If it’s not Persian or Kashmiri all red saffron, I’d avoid it. Spanish and Greek really don’t follow the international grading standards, so they end up with white parts sneaking in. When you’re paying that much for a spice to be used in very special occasions, go spend the big bucks and get the good stuff.

Tasmania makes good saffron but that might be a bit niche to get most places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thanks for all the words on this Dino. Only checked the thread out because you always make good posts and figured "well I eat rice, maybe I'll learn something interesting". Sure glad I did because this is fascinating.

dino. posted:

So this is the case with the Thai farmers that we import from. They don't use pesticides, because (1) they can't afford them, and (2) they're also growing their own family's food on the same fields that they grow the rice. They don't trust them.

Not going to fault a South East Asian farmer for not trusting Monsanto near their land.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

therattle posted:

I’m not dino but I hate the plastic waste in those. I’d rather cook a load of rice and freeE portions.

I'm interested in hearing more about these free E's

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

El Spamo posted:

I live in a desert so conserving water is always a thing in the back of my mind, so unless I'm trying to impress someone or it really matters I just cook the rice w/o rinsing. Rice sins, I know.

I have called the rice police. Your days are numbered scofflaw.