Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

dino. posted:

Thanks. So I know a few Chinese folk who find Uncle Roger cringe at best, and outright harmful at worst. It made his stuff unwatchable for me.

Unless those friends are Malaysian (or Singaporean) Chinese, they can shove it. Uncle Roger is a national hero :colbert:

Seriously though this is a great thread. Thank you for making it. After many years of loving up rice, I finally figured out how to make jasmine rice and it comes out perfect every time. Maybe I can branch out now that I’ve read this thread (no I will not.)

How bad is this rice? It looks like every grain is broken and 30% are chalky. This is jasmine rice purchased in Australia, so we ain’t getting any higher quality product down here even if maybe it doesn’t have bugs..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I was at my Sri Lankan friend’s house yesterday and she measured rice (basmati of course) with the knuckle method and cooked it in a glass dish in the microwave! It came out perfect. Modern life is amazing.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Dino what are your opinions about those pouches of rice you microwave for 90 seconds?

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

dino. posted:

It’s complicated. I understand that I’m able bodied, and have access to a rice cooker, the money to be able to buy 20 lb bags of rice, and the ability to bring said 20 lb bags of rice home, the storage containers to keep the rice free of bugs for the three or so months it takes me to go through that rice, and the space to store it. When I was young, I had parents with the time to teach me how to cook, and I had access to enough rice, and the guidance of a parent to be able to cook several pots of rice in the rice cooker, so that I became good at it, and can do so with confidence.

I also get that the RTE (ready to eat) rice is a seriously huge game changer when making dishes that require the grains to be separate. (RTE rice is what we call the microwave pouches.) The process to get those grains into the pouch makes it so that the rice grains are not sticky at all. You can open the pouch, break up the rice with your fingers, and immediately start making a stir fried rice, or another such similar thing.

It’s a convenient thing to have when you’re at a hotel or something, or a school dorm, or any other situation where you want rice, but don’t have the space or facilities to make rice happen.

That said. They taste FINE, but are trash when compared to the real thing. Also, Minute Rice is not the same thing. Minute Rice is actively loving gross. Do not buy that trash.

What a kind and balanced view of packet rice.

Who knew a thread about rice could be such entertaining and informative content!

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you gotta tell us which are the poo poo brands of rice, then

THIS BULLSHIT

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I am on the edge of my seat for industrial shelf-stable sushi rice packet development updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Rice thread is best thread.

Now do lentils