Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my mother-in-law once taught me a method for cooking rice where you fry the dry rice in a little bit of butter (also usually with a very small amount of onion, curry leaves, and cinnamon) before adding the water. just until its a little bit brown, then you add water and finish cooking it normally. basmati rice, always.

at first she said this was called "tempering the rice". later she insisted that she'd never called it that and that this technique didn't have any particular name, at least not in english, and that "tempering" referred to something else entirely, though she didn't say exactly what. but she always wanted rice made this way.

and i've been making rice like that ever since, it's really good. but what is that called?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cephas posted:

Is there some noted trend of Americans being afraid of white rice? I swear ever since I started at my current job, I've met multiple adults (usually 40+) who worry about white rice and only want brown rice--even though the nutritional differences between white and brown rice are rather minuscule compared to the difference between white and whole wheat flour.

i dont remember white rice ever being "demonized" nor have i ever met anyone who was afraid of it or thought that it was actively bad for you or anything, but there's a general perception that brown rice is healthier for some reason. i have no idea why. maybe because it doesn't taste as good?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my in-laws have been using rice cookers to make basmati rice their whole lives and its always great. they do that toasting thing i asked about though, i dont know if that helps with the texture

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do they toast on the stove then put it in the cooker? That sounds good.

no they just do it in the rice cooker itself before adding water

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. I don't think mine has a sauté setting, or am I misunderstanding?

its not a special setting or anything, you just turn the rice cooker on and use the heat of the plate to fry the rice in a little bit of butter first (or for fancy rice, butter with onions and cinnamon and curry leaves) and then once its very slightly browned you add the water and just let it do its thing

it should be like a really small amount of butter just enough to very slightly coat all the rice, any more and it will get greasy

edit: oh yeah i forgot sometimes rice cookers won't start heating up without the weight of the rice/water in there but you can just kind of press down on the plate with a spatula or whatever and it works

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 13, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i always grew up washing it but there's a random Brazilian recipe i looked up and have made a couple times (for a carrot and garlic rice) and it specifically tells you not to wash the rice. thats the only time i didnt wash it and it was ok i guess, didnt taste any different felt kind of weird tho

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are questions about furikake allowed? a friend gave me some after a trip to japan and i loved it and ate it all very quickly. i bought another jar in a japanese home goods store recently and it was ok but much sweeter, i dont really like it so much. i am looking for a kind that is salty and maybe a little smokey and spicy, was wondering if there was a particular type or brand to look out for.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

no i have no idea the label was entirely in japanese, which neither my friend nor i can read, and i threw the bag away along time ago.

that one that i have now that i dont like so much is predominantly salmon, the one i liked seemed to have a more balanced blend of fish vs other ingredients, and i think the fish was tuna or possibly some anchovy too

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Decoy Badger posted:

Fried rice - cold precooked rice to start, or is there a faster way?

cold precooked rice usually fries up pretty fast, how much faster fo you need it to be?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh good point, i didnt think of it that way because for me fried rice just means using leftovers

but yea unfortunately if the rice isnt cold when you fry it, i think it will be kind of mushy and gross

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

buglord posted:

Am I looking in the wrong place if it’s 18 dollars for half a gram? :negative:

as others have said, saffron is indeed expensive.. but that seems like a lot. i haven't bought saffron in quite a while, but when i looked online just now $18/gram was literally the first google result (from walmart) and just like two or three results down there was a different brand for $8.50/gram so yes if you are just going by the first result you get, you are indeed looking in the wrong place. can't speak to either brand tho they both claim to be organic pure ceritified actual saffron

also its a pretty strong flavor. making cookies with two teaspoons sounds kind of crazy unless its like.. a lot of cookies

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 19, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Annath posted:

I swear I've put it in the rinse basket and run water through it, agitating it, etc, for like 2 minutes and it just doesn't stop running cloudy water.

the point of rinsing it is just to get rid of any possible dirt or bugs in there. you aren't trying to eliminate the cloudiness, that's starch, which comes from the rice itself and will always be there to some extent.

i usually do about 30-40 seconds or so in a sieve personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm. I've just been keeping my rice in the sack. Maybe time to upgrade to a sack-sized hard plastic container...

How likely are bugs in an apartment nine storeys up, though?

that depends on where you live. i lived in several large buildings in nyc that had all kinds of bugs living in the walls. mice too, they can chew through a sack. i've never had them go after rice tho.