Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I too want to chime in and say that I've found this thread incredibly informative and thanks OP for all of the info. I have had Jasmine as my standard rice for a while, with Basmati for Indian adjacent dishes.

Bought a bag of Nishiki medium grain the other day and will probably restock some of the Calrose.

Talked to the lady in the (southeast asian) international market about her technique for sticky rice, as I have a bag of 3 rings thats just been sitting there for a while.

I did take a cupful of dry sticky rice and toast it until quite brown, then pulverized it in a cuisinart to make a crunchy toasty dust sprinkling for salads, as I read about in a Thai cookbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

therattle posted:

I can’t give an exact amount but it needs more. Maybe 20%? I usually just eyeball it and it’s ok. Brown rice, to me at least, can take a lot of cooking and water, and I think is often served undercooked in a lot of places, which is, I think, why a lot of people don’t like it. It’s not cooked with enough water and it’s too tough. It can bear being cooked with too much water more than too little.

I’d be very curious to see if others agree.

I agree. I'm not an expert, but I agree.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am low on basmati, and conveniently I was trying out a new kebab shop, which turned out to be amazing.

I asked the owner what basmati he liked, and he said "Ocean Pearl", as its a bit thinner, or lighter than some of the other basmatis. He did make a good point that sometimes when the rice is too big, you feel like you're eating too much rice, and you get feeling too full. I agree. Anyway, with that in mind, I headed over to the international (middle eastern / halal / Pakistani run, I think) market, where there were over a dozen from which to choose. I asked the shopkeeper what he liked, and he said that Ocean Pearl and Empire were the most popular, with Royal following. Therefore I chose Ocean Pearl based on the advice I'd received minutes earlier.

I get home and see that this thread has activity, so I open it up all excited about my choice driven by my local shop and restaurant crew and see

dino. posted:

But yeah. Be on the lookout at the Middle Eastern or Indian markets for the bags that say "Sella". If it specifies "Golden Sella", you're looking at the stuff that's been parboiled to hell and back. Avoid avoid avoid. That stuff is foul. If it says "creamy sella" or "White sella" or just plain "Sella", you're in good shape.

:smith: Ocean Pearl is Golden Sella. I bought a 10 lb bag (was really the only denomination they had), so its going to take me a while to get through it, but I wouldn't mind knowing what you feel is foul about it.

Tilda isn't available any longer, so I need to find a new good go to basmati. I'll go back and read some more and maybe just get a plain Sella next time.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What's the knuckle method? I searched the thread and couldn't find it

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Why not just eat minute rice if you're in a hurry. I grew up on that stuff.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Whoever put that video up on the sticky rice tutorial all those different ways, thanks for that. I used the basic soak and steam method last night, and it came out great. Had it with some fried chicken watching the bawl game. Delicious.

Also I have a Thai cookbook where they toast sticky rice in a dry pan then pulverize it in a cuisinart to have crunchy sprinkles on papaya salad. I haven't tried that yet. Sounds neat.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Dunno-Lars posted:

So, I got a rice question.

When I cook basmati rice (the only kind I really eat), it always starts to foam and ends up spitting starchy water through the hole in the lid. I tried rinsing and soaking, even tried adding a dab of butter ontop thinking a layer of fat would keep it down. But it's still a mess unless I go and lift the lid to make the foam collapse.

What am I doing wrong and how can I stop it from foaming?

Also, read through the entire thread and it is super interesting. Thank you for making and maintaining the thread!

This happens to me too. for me, I rinse the rice, get the water boiling then drop the rice in. I keep it on high until the rice starts to simmer, then turn it down pretty low. Sometimes, when it starts to sputter, I just lift the lid, let the steam out once then pop the lid back on then often times it won't overflow again.

Maybe you need to slightly reduce the water amount since you've given it a soak or rinse?

Anyway, happens to me too. I figured out where the sweet spot was where it wouldn't foam over and I set it to that on my smallest burner, always. I have gas heat and good cookware so between the two, I have to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Cached Money posted:

I love the rice thread

Me too