Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

dino. posted:

So why DOES a customer ask for a particular type of rice? Because their customers have different needs from their rice. For example, a lot of customers from the Middle East will want aged Basmati that's been parboiled. Why? Because the spices used in Middle Eastern cooking goes well with the heady fragrance of Basmati rice, but the amount of stirring/moving/agitating that the recipes call for require a rice to be very sturdy. Raw rice would turn into mush if you're stirring it around a lot, whereas parboiled grains are much stronger and can stand up to the abuse.
Interesting, I've never heard about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brown rice has more fiber and protein and there is a general idea that whole grains are healthier?

OTOH white rice is easier to cook, tastes better imo, and has less of an arsenic problem, and I don't think it's as high as stuff like bread in glycemic index (although glycemic is sort of bullshit anyway because carbs are digested much more slowly when you eat them with fats so it mostly doesn't matter unless you're just eating like a bowl of plain rice) so I just eat white rice

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 11, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I once bought a bag of white people rice that literally had no taste and I couldn’t persuade any of my friends to take it off my hands. I think it was made in California, though I can’t be sure. As an Asian dude who grew on Thai rice it really shed light for me on how hosed up American tastebuds are.
lol if you bought Japanese style rice or something and decided it was "white people rice" because it doesn't have the aroma of thai jasmine rice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Earwicker posted:

are questions about furikake allowed? a friend gave me some after a trip to japan and i loved it and ate it all very quickly. i bought another jar in a japanese home goods store recently and it was ok but much sweeter, i dont really like it so much. i am looking for a kind that is salty and maybe a little smokey and spicy, was wondering if there was a particular type or brand to look out for.
do you know what type your friend gave you? there are lots of types

mystes
May 31, 2006

a typical one would be nori, bonito flakes, sesame seeds, and seasoning so maybe try that to start

mystes
May 31, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

My home has only 4 kinds of rice. What is the appropriate number of varieties to stock?
n+1

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess the basmati I've been using isn't parboiled and I've been pretty happy with it but I'm a bit curious about the parboiled type now.

Red cargo rice sounds intriguing too

mystes
May 31, 2006

dino. posted:

Simple: dump a packet of sazon con achiote in the rice cooker along with your rice and water. Game changer. Yes, salt your cooking water too. Also add like a tablespoon of olive oil in with the rice.
Isn't most sazon quite salty already unless you specifically buy the no salt version?

mystes
May 31, 2006

As long as I'm not making a ton of rice I just wash the rice in the inner pot from the rice cooker because I'd rather lose a few grains washing it than have to try to move it into another container

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Sometimes I think getting a rice maker might improve my life. Typically I'm cooking basmati by washing it then boiling it on a stovetop in 1.5x water for 5-10 minutes, I'd say 2-4 times a week. It turns out well, and I've actually gotten compliments and people asking for my "recipe" (I think people tend to use too much water and don't know to wash it when making stirfry/fried rice). But I've never actually used a rice maker, is there a level beyond, or would I just be wasting money?
It's less about being better and more about being able to dump rice into it and come back 30 minutes later with zero intervention/monitoring and always have perfect rice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I like better than bouillon but I don't generally want my rice to be that salty.

(In other dishes that call for stock I'll often add a smaller amount of btb and then instead of adding salt I'll just add more btb at the end to get it up to the desired saltiness which makes it easier to avoid overshooting the desired salt level. It would be great if there was a salt free version but maybe it wouldn't keep.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 8, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah that's quite interesting

also mods please change the thread title to "ask me about rice: reefer madness"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat, and I lost the magic measuring cup for my 2 quart Aroma rice cooker.

What are the actual measurements?
180ml but you can just use 3/4 cup which is 177ml

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think I've ever actually liked rice pilaf but it's possible I've just never had a really good one so maybe I should look into that

mystes
May 31, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

White people are scared of dirty, indigenous foods. News at 11.
I don't think people wanting to eat whole grains has anything to do with that unless you also think that people think white bread is a dirty indigenous food

mystes
May 31, 2006

therattle posted:

My son is diabetic and white rice is definitely the lot worse than brown from a GI perspective.
My impression is that glycemic index is kind of bullshit because it only applies if you're only eating a ton of that individual food with nothing else (which is what it is literally a measure of)

If you eat white rice with other stuff that has protein and fiber it will probably be the same as eating brown rice, and fat slows down digestion of carbs a ton so white rice + fat is going to have a way lower effective glycemic index than brown rice alone.

Not saying you should run out and eat a lot of white rice if you're diabetic and I'm not sure what the current state of the research is or whatever, but I'm not sure the gi index of individual foods actually matters to the degree that has sometimes been suggested.

Obviously if you're diabetic and are using a glucose meter or something you should probably just go by the actual results of that and if your glucose spikes more after white rice then it makes sense to eat brown rice or less rice instead.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 24, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

IIRC crazy people in developed countries who are afraid of genetic engineering convinced the developing countries it was designed to help that it was poisonous or something

mystes
May 31, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Rice that grows little cows inside of it would be pretty great tbh. Can we GMO this?
perhaps if you assume a perfectly spherical cow

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

so you basically don't eat east-asian-style short-grain?
I don't know if dino does or does not eat east asian style short grain rice, but if you follow the post you are responding to back, you will see that it is in response to a question about basmati rice originally.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MeatRocket8 posted:

In a general questions thread, I asked if rice should not be rinsed, because doing so washes away whatever the powder is than makes rice enrinched. Then another goon said, dude, someone just asked that question in the last page. Weird coincidence. They probably watched the same youtube video as me where an asian cook talked about that.

99 percent of white people don't know how much better quality white japanese rice is from the cheap poo poo.
I mean if you read the packaging for enriched rice it probably says not to wash it, so it's not something you would need to have watched a specific YouTube video for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Hey rice nerds, check this rice out (uncooked on left, cooked on right).

Know what kind it is? It's matta rice. Tastes great. Awesome texture too. Super separate and hearty grains.
That image reminds me of when years ago my father tried to make rice for dinner and after an hour he was like "it's just not cooking; I can't figure it out" and I looked in the rice cooker and it turns out he had put oat groats that I had lying around in rather than rice