Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

I am surprised you let them watch Home, and that it wasn't the one that scared the kids the most.

I didn’t. We’ve been skipping some. I think I skipped 2shy, too.

Also. I’d totally forgotten they killed off Pendrill before he even got to go on a date with Scully. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

A Fancy Hat posted:

My personal picks for worst episodes, based solely on how much I enjoyed them:

1) My Struggle IV: The final episode of the revival seasons and, presumably, the final episode of the show. Skinner dies (I think!?) in the most unsatisfying way possible, nothing is actually resolved, and Mulder and Scully STILL don't get a reunion with their kid, which has been a huge driving force of this entire season. Completely terrible.

Also Reyes becomes a bad guy for reasons?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Doggett held his own but Reyes was always the weakest of the agents but even so, she didn't deserve to get done that dirty by chris carter.

Come to think of it, let's blame chris carter for all the ableism too while we're at it, someone's gotta take the fall for this and it may as well be him

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

And sorry, but First Person Shooter can't be bad when it includes this:

BINGO! Also Fight Club loving SUCKS and that might be my most hated episode. It starts out so promising and then... yeah, it's absolutely not an X-Files episode after the first like 15 minutes and the amount of disappointment I feel with a good monster of the week idea wasted on kathy loving griffith

Also the episode I keep mentioning about Scully's faith is Revelations which is the start of a minor storyline that persists I think even into the new seasons where Scully's religious beliefs are in conflict with her work. As someone who was raised Catholic, I don't need to hear this dumb poo poo anymore I already know we're all going to hell or w/e

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Doggett held his own but Reyes was always the weakest of the agents but even so, she didn't deserve to get done that dirty by chris carter.

Come to think of it, let's blame chris carter for all the ableism too while we're at it, someone's gotta take the fall for this and it may as well be him

his name is slapped all over everything so that checks

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

BINGO! Also Fight Club loving SUCKS and that might be my most hated episode. It starts out so promising and then... yeah, it's absolutely not an X-Files episode after the first like 15 minutes and the amount of disappointment I feel with a good monster of the week idea wasted on kathy loving griffith

Also the episode I keep mentioning about Scully's faith is Revelations which is the start of a minor storyline that persists I think even into the new seasons where Scully's religious beliefs are in conflict with her work. As someone who was raised Catholic, I don't need to hear this dumb poo poo anymore I already know we're all going to hell or w/e

That’s the one where she helps an angel kill some kids born with extra fingers, right? Or “helps them escape to heaven”?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s the one where she helps an angel kill some kids born with extra fingers, right? Or “helps them escape to heaven”?

yep, some dumb weird poo poo like that. and the episode is EXTREMELY PLODDING with it's pacing. Like, even the action parts somehow felt slow and boring.

i wanna rewatch the Doggett seasons soon. he was ALMOST a good character, would've been good if he was written better. Reyes got the shaft from start to end character wise.

also i never fully watch MILLENIUM so I think I might do that. is there a good way to watch the episodes that touch the X-Files and lead into the actual series?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bagmonkey posted:

yep, some dumb weird poo poo like that. and the episode is EXTREMELY PLODDING with it's pacing. Like, even the action parts somehow felt slow and boring.

i wanna rewatch the Doggett seasons soon. he was ALMOST a good character, would've been good if he was written better. Reyes got the shaft from start to end character wise.

also i never fully watch MILLENIUM so I think I might do that. is there a good way to watch the episodes that touch the X-Files and lead into the actual series?

I'm not sure there are too many - Jose Chung appears once, I think?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Following our watch party a friend of mine drew their furry OC as Scully.
I dunno if it's worth sharing here but I am delighted they enjoyed it that much.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SRQ posted:

Disagree, space is slow and pondering but doesn't do anything insultingly bad and at least the monster is kinda neat.

Bad episodes are painful. Like FPS is legitimately painful to watch.

Yeah Space was kinda tedious but nothing painfully bad, unless you count wasting Ed Lauter on a forgettable episode.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

bagmonkey posted:

my worst episode changes from time to time. currently i hate the scully religion one the most because ugh

network shows of the 90s - early 00s really did have a thing for "character is suddenly deeply religious for a single forced plot, never to be mentioned again", like the season 1 Scrubs espidoe where Turk is deeply religious for a single Christmas Eve

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

did x-files ever have The Drug Allegory Episode?
TNG and SG1 both did.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SRQ posted:

TNG and SG1 both did.

What was the SG1 one?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SRQ posted:

TNG and SG1 both did.

the Riker candy crush zombification machine is both real and a real threat to civilization

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

SRQ posted:

TNG and SG1 both did.

Pesticides, not even once! (Blood, S2E3)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

What was the SG1 one?

The one where they get addicted to the bracers that give them superpowers? That kind of drug episode?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

What was the SG1 one?

Season 1/2 there's an episode where Daniel gets addicted to the sarcophagus and goes insane, I believe there's another few in there too.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Pesticides, not even once! (Blood, S2E3)

Not quite the same, nobody was sniffing DEET to cause the problem- it was the government forcing it on them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were those dementia-reversing Vietnamese mushrooms that caused absolutely no ill effects unless someone took too many (like all medication). Luckily, Mulder and Scully discovered them and had the nurse who was growing them deported so that medical science could never learn of them.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

SRQ posted:

Not quite the same, nobody was sniffing DEET to cause the problem- it was the government forcing it on them.

I guess you can say don't do jenkem from War of the Coprophages S3E12

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mulder doesn't smoke weed cause he is too caught up in aliens. Scully is too Christian.

I bet the only person that does if Frohike.

Edit: Maybe Skinner. He's a vietnam vet, gets caught up in trouble frequently, not above breaking the rules for his friends.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 6, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Scully attributes her hallucinations to some red tattoo ink in the tattto episode.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

There were those dementia-reversing Vietnamese mushrooms that caused absolutely no ill effects unless someone took too many (like all medication). Luckily, Mulder and Scully discovered them and had the nurse who was growing them deported so that medical science could never learn of them.

This was one of a few episodes where putting the cat back in the bag is loving absurd.
By like season 5 there is quantifiable and public evidence that ghosts exist. Proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I think the real problem with that episode is the orderly who says she was raped. But then her boss, Mulder, AND Scully are like "lol nah, you just want money".

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SRQ posted:

This was one of a few episodes where putting the cat back in the bag is loving absurd.
By like season 5 there is quantifiable and public evidence that ghosts exist. Proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

lol there's like 2-3 ways to stop cancer too but :shrug: its 2spooky

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I think the real problem with that episode is the orderly who says she was raped. But then her boss, Mulder, AND Scully are like "lol nah, you just want money".

This one is tricky because it's written to be that everyone is baffled that a doddering old man could overpower a wet paper bag, but it's absolutely written poorly.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Yeah, I mean a lot of episodes don't age well. I suppose thats due to the zeitgeist of the 90s. Honestly my favorite episode is S1E10 Fallen Angel. Season 1 has that feel of early 90s, Mulder is sympathetic to Max, and it has the overwhelming feel of government conspiracy.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i'm about 1/3rd of the way through season 6, the first post movie season, and it already seems like something has fundamentally changed. there's no attempt at even a handwavey science explanation for some things now. i can handle a nursing home full of rapey ghosts cause maybe the mushrooms in the cellar were doing something weird, i'm not sure about an actual haunted house with ghosts that try to convince you to kill yourself for fun and the explanation is "maybe it was just all in our heads!". and in the bruce campbell episode there are just actual demons now, wtf

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Was there supposed to be non-supernatural explanations up until season 6? Because most of the time it was just ghosts or aliens or the leechman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are probably scientific explanations for Bruce Campbell. Wasn’t he testing people’s blood to find someone who was more likely to have a normal baby with him? He and the other devil lady could have just been weird mutants or like part of an ethnic group with unfortunate features.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
It always felt weird to me that Mulder kept pursuing this elusive, nebulous alien conspiracy when right at his fingertips he had a human leech, ghosts, psychics, time travelers, werewolves, random shape-changing dude, guy who could grow a new head, etc.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
aliens and time travel and mushroom ghosts are science fiction, and i'm warming up to the demonic ethnic group theory

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Zesty posted:

Was there supposed to be non-supernatural explanations up until season 6? Because most of the time it was just ghosts or aliens or the leechman.

Depends on the bar for "non-supernatural". Is a silicon-based fungus from Firewalker supernatural? Are killer wood mites from Darkness Falls?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

newts posted:

It always felt weird to me that Mulder kept pursuing this elusive, nebulous alien conspiracy when right at his fingertips he had a human leech, ghosts, psychics, time travelers, werewolves, random shape-changing dude, guy who could grow a new head, etc.

Part of that was his personal quest to find his sister.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Are killer wood mites from Darkness Falls?

titus welliver sexiest eco-terrorist of all time

:love::love::love:

i wish there were more bottle episodes where they get stuck in a single location, the thing ripoff ice and the rusty ship that makes them start rusting are great early eps, the perils of a bigger budget

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

An X-files episode where Scully is concerned about Mulder's obsession with a lone fly in their office.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
obligatory bravo vince

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

So many of the cold opens feel Gilliganian in hindsight. The one with the lineman getting attacked by bees with all the clone kids standing around especially

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zesty posted:

The show is absolutely not designed for it, but it's very interesting to watch from the perspective of "ok, so, who witnessed what? And what evidence did they actually gather in the end?"

Like, in the less-popular vampire episode "3", the only 'supernatural' occurrence is that a dude spontaneously combusts in front of a bunch of witnesses and the doctor's like, "idk, some kind of weird skin disorder?" The corpse later maybe disappears, and they never follow up on it. Everything else with the vampires is just a noir-ish psychodrama about a woman with an abusive ex.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are episodes where stuff is objectively proven but nobody cares. With flukeman, they probably recover half his body and test his dna, and it even ends up in the news, but this discovery has no effect on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If anyone wants to check out a show that does leave it ambiguous if it's supernatural or not, check out Evil. The first couple of seasons, anyways.

The premise is kind of the opposite of the X-files. The Catholic church hires skeptical investigators to make sure things like demonic possessions and miracles aren't hoaxes and don't have rational explanations.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 7, 2024