Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

newts posted:

I didn’t. We’ve been skipping some. I think I skipped 2shy, too.

Probably smart.

Skipping for content, not a consideration on quality, that's more or less arbitrary. I'm sure there's some X-Files fans who loved My Struggle and First Person Shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
First Person Shooter, where a team of about three people invent the holodeck and the only application they can think to use it for is Laser Tag.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The show is absolutely not designed for it, but it's very interesting to watch from the perspective of "ok, so, who witnessed what? And what evidence did they actually gather in the end?"

Like, in the less-popular vampire episode "3", the only 'supernatural' occurrence is that a dude spontaneously combusts in front of a bunch of witnesses and the doctor's like, "idk, some kind of weird skin disorder?" The corpse later maybe disappears, and they never follow up on it. Everything else with the vampires is just a noir-ish psychodrama about a woman with an abusive ex.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are episodes where stuff is objectively proven but nobody cares. With flukeman, they probably recover half his body and test his dna, and it even ends up in the news, but this discovery has no effect on anything.

I'm going to reference Seinfeld here for a moment to make a point so please excuse the randomness of me doing that but I remember watching a Jason Alexander interview once where he talked about how something that George did in an episode was insane and how can they just drop it and go into next week's episode and not mention it and Larry David basically said that he wasn't interested in it any more because it's not funny any more after the bit, so they just ignored it and moved on to the next episode. Seinfeld broke a lot of TV norms by doing stuff like that where it might otherwise be common to have characters learn from poo poo.

Anyhow, I was thinking about the X-Files recently and it occurred to me that they kinda do the same thing with the monster of the week episodes and the mytharc too lol. Crazy poo poo happens, and if you think about it past the surface level it has extraordinary implications on the world the characters live in, but they just move on to the next motw and don't focus on how last week's episode time travel was proven possible or ghosts were shown to exist or whatever. The continuity is in the relationships built by Mulder/Scully/Skinner etc. But the show is rightfully less concerned with what the implications of those motws mean for the actual world.

I think it's fine to leave stuff like that to the imagination and/or not touch on it too much and obviously lets the show do crazy episodes without having to worry about fitting them into the larger mythology of the show.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Ginette Reno posted:

Crazy poo poo happens, and if you think about it past the surface level it has extraordinary implications on the world the characters live in, but they just move on to the next motw and don't focus on how last week's episode time travel was proven possible or ghosts were shown to exist or whatever.

Er, you're describing most episodic TV shows pre- like 2007 or so.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I always thought it was because they were concerned about people being confused when channel surfing and had to make each and every episode other than Roman numeral episodes approachable going in.

There was a big fear of if you had an overarching narrative and someone missed the first four episodes they would be too lost and not bother.

I don't know if anything was ever concrete or understood but indefinitely started seeing a lot more overarching plot lines once streaming started getting big. Which makes streaming in today's world even more dumb when amazon and the like would have like seasons 3 and 8 or some poo poo and not even in full.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm going to reference Seinfeld here for a moment to make a point so please excuse the randomness of me doing that but I remember watching a Jason Alexander interview once where he talked about how something that George did in an episode was insane and how can they just drop it and go into next week's episode and not mention it and Larry David basically said that he wasn't interested in it any more because it's not funny any more after the bit, so they just ignored it and moved on to the next episode. Seinfeld broke a lot of TV norms by doing stuff like that where it might otherwise be common to have characters learn from poo poo.

Anyhow, I was thinking about the X-Files recently and it occurred to me that they kinda do the same thing with the monster of the week episodes and the mytharc too lol. Crazy poo poo happens, and if you think about it past the surface level it has extraordinary implications on the world the characters live in, but they just move on to the next motw and don't focus on how last week's episode time travel was proven possible or ghosts were shown to exist or whatever. The continuity is in the relationships built by Mulder/Scully/Skinner etc. But the show is rightfully less concerned with what the implications of those motws mean for the actual world.

I think it's fine to leave stuff like that to the imagination and/or not touch on it too much and obviously lets the show do crazy episodes without having to worry about fitting them into the larger mythology of the show.

It's a great way to combine the best of both formats - you get to have your MOTW episodes and have fun with them and not be beholden to years of backstory, AND you get the ongoing bigger story with the mytharc, but like you say, mainly with the character growth and interactions.

If you had write around the implications of the MOTW you'd find yourself in a corner quite quickly, and a lot of fun concepts out the window.

Other shows handled this in different ways but used that same formula. Buffy for example had many MOTW episodes, but they could all be thrown in a big bucket which said "Hellmouth" and required no further explanation or detail.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Er, you're describing most episodic TV shows pre- like 2007 or so.

:lost:

So that black cloud monster thing, huh? Kinda freaky right? Yeah I'll just be hanging out in the beach. Later!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Having any kind of world-changing implications from the motw episodes is complicated by having all of the superpowered or supernatural one-off people be gross criminals or unfixable perverts independent of whatever magic thing they do. Nobody could ever convince that lightning kid to do anything good or even be curious about what he can do. Even scientists are usually obsessed with revenge from beyond the grave or some poo poo instead of taking Scully or their old department chair aside for five minutes to explain how it works.

And then when you do get somebody reasonable, smoking man black-bags him for a mind suck.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Having any kind of world-changing implications from the motw episodes is complicated by having all of the superpowered or supernatural one-off people be gross criminals or unfixable perverts independent of whatever magic thing they do. Nobody could ever convince that lightning kid to do anything good or even be curious about what he can do. Even scientists are usually obsessed with revenge from beyond the grave or some poo poo instead of taking Scully or their old department chair aside for five minutes to explain how it works.

And then when you do get somebody reasonable, smoking man black-bags him for a mind suck.

The mutants occasionally need to eat humans to survive too, like Toombs, the fat-sucker, the melanin sucker or the fast-food worker guy from one of the later seasons.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Pac and Cheese posted:

i'm about 1/3rd of the way through season 6, the first post movie season, and it already seems like something has fundamentally changed. there's no attempt at even a handwavey science explanation for some things now. i can handle a nursing home full of rapey ghosts cause maybe the mushrooms in the cellar were doing something weird, i'm not sure about an actual haunted house with ghosts that try to convince you to kill yourself for fun and the explanation is "maybe it was just all in our heads!". and in the bruce campbell episode there are just actual demons now, wtf

That episode was a joke so I can excuse it, but season 6 does have an immense problem with that.

They hand wave the movie away despite the scale of the implications of it.
Season 6 is only good for the resolution of the myth arc, and that's where it ends in my mind.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have to assume that there are non-human-flesh-eating mutants, conscientious and kind superpowered folk, and actual discrete evil scientists just out there living their boring lives and never attracting the attention of FBI agents.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Dana Skunksy as promised.

E: And with their OCs natural hair colour too.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...0485a4ff6e5c13&

SRQ fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 8, 2024

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

SRQ posted:

it's more beautiful than i could have ever possibly imagined

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Hear me out. A new animated series.

X-Files Babies

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SRQ posted:

You really didn't need to.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bonzo posted:

Hear me out. A new animated series.

X-Files Babies

Worked for the muppets

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i got a little conspiracy for you guys, is pruane2forever david duchovny's son?

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
x files reboot mulder's son and 50 cent solving mysteries

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Pac and Cheese posted:

i got a little conspiracy for you guys, is pruane2forever david duchovny's son?

Either Duchovny or Rib Kid

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Wow, I haven't heard the bad boys theme song in a long time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Wow, I haven't heard the bad boys theme song in a long time.

Cool/not cool crossover

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

Why would there be a children's school for the deaf in the middle of the Arizona desert?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Outpost22 posted:

Why would there be a children's school for the deaf in the middle of the Arizona desert?

Because it makes such a dramatic location. Also this society is truly gross in how it treats anyone with any kind of non standard need and funding is so totally random. And historically there’s been a moral implication imputed to being deaf or unable to walk etc.. and facilities are frequently in nasty locations.

There’s a whole fish worth of bones to pick with the x-files but not the location of that school.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the "they move on as though nothing happened even if it should have far reaching consequences" aspect works in the X Files because the characters are government agents selected specifically for their ability not to question things in a way that would stir the water and not to overextend their reach. They turn in their dossiers and it's not up to them to question the follow up by the higher ups. And even so the show acknowledges that the characters have a life outside of the episodes that's affected by their findings, i.e. Mulder feeding bits of information to the conspiracy theorist community.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Im surprised nobody mentioned How the Ghosts Stole Christmas re: worst episode

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The Alchemist posted:

I thought that was fine tbh.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
They took the show off Freevee, so I guess our watch party has come to an end :smith:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

Who's this guy partnering up with Scully and why isn't he Mulder?

EDIT: Oh right Mulder's being held in an invisible ship with an alien bounty hunter(s?)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s actually not that bad, but the show’s pretty much out of steam. It was actually out of steam two seasons before that, but it can still be fun.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Outpost22 posted:

Who's this guy partnering up with Scully and why isn't he Mulder?

EDIT: Oh right Mulder's being held in an invisible ship with an alien bounty hunter(s?)

That's John Doggett, and his personal X-File is wanting to know if you've seen this boy?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Agent Muldah

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
apologies for poo poo talking season 6. the 2-parter where mulder switches bodies with micheal mckean, the hurricane with the saltwater squid monster, and the time looping bank robbery are all time classics. for half a second i thought this dog was about to transform into the alien bounty hunter and that would have automatically made it the best season

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

pseudanonymous posted:

Because it makes such a dramatic location. Also this society is truly gross in how it treats anyone with any kind of non standard need and funding is so totally random. And historically there’s been a moral implication imputed to being deaf or unable to walk etc.. and facilities are frequently in nasty locations.

There’s a whole fish worth of bones to pick with the x-files but not the location of that school.

The city I grew up in built their school for the deaf on a remote headland that has to deal with flooding and rockfall. Just the most lovely, remote place they could find. And guess what? It's still there, operating today fifty years later. pseudanonymous is right that people are total dicks about special needs children.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i've been making an archive of alien bounty hunter transformations so far so if i missed a couple please let me know

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alien Bounty Hunter is great because he’s the only guy involved in the alien stuff who’s just punching a clock and absolutely does not give a poo poo.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Good dog was bad dog all along! :aaaaa:

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
wolfies are good dogs too you just need to treat them right

i'm opening up an x file on the borders on my gifs i'm usually good at making them, must be a ghost or something

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I AM GRANDO posted:

Alien Bounty Hunter is great because he’s the only guy involved in the alien stuff who’s just punching a clock and absolutely does not give a poo poo.

The last time I rewatched the show this was the exact revelation I had, too. He's got work to do, he's gonna do it as quickly as possible and then get the gently caress outta there.

The Alchemist posted:

I actually really like this one. It's not a top tier one, but I like the stuff between Mulder and Scully a lot. Mulder has nowhere to be on Christmas so he's staking out this haunted house. Scully feels bad and hangs out with him for a bit. It's a bit sappy by the end but in a fun way.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I actually really like this one. It's not a top tier one, but I like the stuff between Mulder and Scully a lot. Mulder has nowhere to be on Christmas so he's staking out this haunted house. Scully feels bad and hangs out with him for a bit. It's a bit sappy by the end but in a fun way.

I watch x-files for weird horror concepts and alien poo poo, so this episode was such a bummer. I can see how someone more into the character chemistry and light-hearted humor shlock part of the series could enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Years ago somebody had a ~45 second video on YouTube that was a montage of Alien Bounty Hunter scenes, set to some song that I don't quite remember but I think the lyrics began with "You can be...anything you want..." (or "want to be"?), the band reminded me of Styx. Anyone familiar with the song, or this video?