Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I LOVE BIG SKULLY TIBBIES!!! :D

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think if Chris Carter could go back to the start of it and do it again, I think he might have just decided to abandon the series long conspiracy arc and just do Monster of the Week episodes. They hold up a lot better than the 'making it up as he goes along, ends up a tangled mess of like seven different plotlines which eventually involved Mulder's missing sister having been rescued by angels or something like that'.

Just don't do the soap opera parts.
The myth arc being a clusterfuck is fine and leads to some extremely good stuff (the hostage taking but also aliens) but has some incredibly weird and confusing bits (the one episode where the narrative tension is entirely based on them not answering their phones at the right time, repeatedly.)

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Monster of the week episodes were pretty dope. I remember the kid who played Ham in The Sandlot was a vampire.

I remember in sixth grade my friend was telling me about an episode with a fat vampire and I was like "yeah the one with the fat kid from the sandlot I've seen it". He was like "huh?" and went on to describe a totally different episode about a vampire that preys on overweight women through aol chatrooms who subsequently eats their fat when they meet up with him. And he was played by the bad guy from Beverly Hills Cop 3.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Suspekt Device posted:

I remember in sixth grade my friend was telling me about an episode with a fat vampire and I was like "yeah the one with the fat kid from the sandlot I've seen it". He was like "huh?" and went on to describe a totally different episode about a vampire that preys on overweight women through aol chatrooms who subsequently eats their fat when they meet up with him. And he was played by the bad guy from Beverly Hills Cop 3.

the best part about it is the heaviest one is like, 165 at best.
they barely even look overweight, what a world the 90s was

half the loving town in the Cher episode is fatter!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Scully should relax a little

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I found it weird that Cher did not appear in the Cher episode. I guess in hindsight it was for the best since I can just see fans zeroing in on that episode and unfairly turning it into the show's jump the shark moment based entirely on "remember when they got motherfucking Cher in an X-Files episode?" But that episode seemed to be leading up to it the whole time, and it already featured her likeness and songs so presumably they had her blessing, so why not just go the whole shebang?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's funny, and by funny I mean depressing, how in the 90's we were all like, yeah man, aliens are real and the government is covering it up, and if they're willing to cover that up, who knows what else they're hiding from us!"

and today, the government told us "so yeah, UFOs are real" and nobody even cared because we've all seen how blatantly everything is corrupt and manipulated right out in the open and nothing is done about it because there are no consequences for those responsible.

But yeah I did love those monster of the week episodes as a kid, but couldn't ever follow the overarching plots.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think it's funny, and by funny I mean depressing, how in the 90's we were all like, yeah man, aliens are real and the government is covering it up, and if they're willing to cover that up, who knows what else they're hiding from us!"

and today, the government told us "so yeah, UFOs are real" and nobody even cared because we've all seen how blatantly everything is corrupt and manipulated right out in the open and nothing is done about it because there are no consequences for those responsible.

But yeah I did love those monster of the week episodes as a kid, but couldn't ever follow the overarching plots.

nihilism loving owns yeah

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The myth arc is pretty good from season 1 to like 6 and a 1/2. Then it's pretty bad.

But there's good monster of the weeks from start to finish.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

ufos were always real, saying so changes nothing though because we don't know what they are.
the shift in "swamp gas" to "I don't loving know," doesn't ultimately change anything.
even if you announced tomorrow that we have solid evidence that at least one UFO was an alien probe, proving intelligent life exists somewhere- what does that mean, to you and me, right now? nothing really, it's just really loving cool.

It is however representative of a loss of faith in the state itself. In 1992 society viewed the state as hyper-competent enough to run a vast conspiracy involving alien entities which is both preventing the public from finding out about them, and secretly trying to stab them in the back after making a deal with them.

you can't do that after trump won.

President Trump, 1993, would have mumbled about the Project on Fox News and gotten us all killed immediately.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think if Chris Carter could go back to the start of it and do it again, I think he might have just decided to abandon the series long conspiracy arc and just do Monster of the Week episodes. They hold up a lot better than the 'making it up as he goes along, ends up a tangled mess of like seven different plotlines which eventually involved Mulder's missing sister having been rescued by angels or something like that'.
I suspect he'd double down on the conspiracy arc. Way too much of the revival seasons were wasted on his dumb 'My Struggle' quartet, one of which ended up having to be retconned as a dream, and everything linked to them when we could have had more crazy standalone stuff like the AI episode or Darin Morgan stories. ('The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat' justifies the whole of season 10.)

Both Scully and Gillian Anderson rule. :swoon:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It was OP.

I'm on season 4 in my rewatch. The monster of the week episodes are miles better than the mythology episodes, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm watching the show in 2023 when "the government hides the truth and does a ton of shady poo poo, actually" isn't in any way shocking. But I don't think it's entirely that, because I never cared for the mythology stuff, and there's more and more of it as the seasons go by and as you say they just start getting so loving convoluted.

The Darin Morgan episodes (Humbug, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's From Outer Space and War of the Coprophages) are still incredible.

SRQ posted:

David Duchovny is unironically hot.

They both are. Good lord.

Back in the late 90s when the Internet wasn't really a thing and certainly not on mobile phones, a friend and I were in a video rental store and they had several X-Files movies. We were pretty sure there was only one movie but couldn't check anywhere and there they were, so maybe they made sequels and we didn't realize? So we rented one, and then it was a two-parter TV-episode on one VHS tape and we felt ripped off.

That's my X-Files story.

E:

Are the new episodes any good? I would assume not since the show turned to poo poo in the last few seasons anyway, and I have zero faith that they were able to bounce back from that years later but who knows?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 10, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

SRQ posted:

No but I feel it's become somewhat lost to history.
Not quite as influential as Star Trek outside of its time period. Probably because it's harder to follow up on and not the sort of franchise you can set spinoffs in very easily.

I'd be up for a complete remake myself.

It's probably because Mulder & Scully arrested pedophiles rather than building a utopian society for them. Trekkies can't get on board with that.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Are the new episodes any good? I would assume not since the show turned to poo poo in the last few seasons anyway, and I have zero faith that they were able to bounce back from that years later but who knows?

There are good ones in there, but a high miss ratio. Same as the last couple of seasons in that regard.

Anyway, the show is so fundamentally about the 90s, they should leave it be, or any reboot/remake should be a period piece.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 10, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I really enjoyed the early seasons, with the various interesting monsters-of-the-week, but it seemed like they started to run out of monsters and urban legends and then just tried to pad everything out with the government-alien-conspiracy stuff which just got very samey and dull.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
There's this broadcast channel called Comet that I didn't even know existed before this year and I swear half their entire lineup is the X-Files.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

this was the best episode

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

There's this broadcast channel called Comet that I didn't even know existed before this year and I swear half their entire lineup is the X-Files.

Bro! I can't get cable, only have an antennae, and Comet is my jam! Here's the Monday through Friday lineup:
10 - Farscape
11 - 2 - Stargate SG1
3 - 6 - Grimm (A fun weird show, like a supernatural soap opera, or also "Boy Buffy")
6 - 9 - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
9 - 12 - The X-Files

I usually turn it on and rip off the knob.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

redshirt posted:

Consider using lube.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Enfys posted:

this was the best episode

The man with no arms who played the ringmaster of the troupe in that episode came to my highschool back in the day and played rock music drum solos with his feet.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The mytharc episodes feel the weakest NOW

But the show wasn't made for now. Those were the most exciting by far at the time

If they're all stand-alone you can miss one, but you had to watch in case CSM CGB was going to show up

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Suspekt Device posted:

Ah, I see where you got confused. He was talking about a fat vampire, you were talking about a vampire fat.

Anyway, x-files is great. I've watched the first few seasons like a dozen times, although I've only ever finished the whole series once and never watched the reboot.

fake e: correction. I watched part of the very first episode of the reboot on tv but the only thing I remember is scully and mulder meeting up and the first line is one of them going "Uber?"

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Deepthroat, LOL!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

maybeadracula posted:

But the show wasn't made for now. Those were the most exciting by far at the time

If they're all stand-alone you can miss one, but you had to watch in case CSM CGB was going to show up

:haibrow:

Everything we know about :airquote: Prestige TV :airquote: begins with the X files. The idea of a season-spanning story in an era that effectively pre-dates physical media for television* was completely revolutionary. The vast majority of TV at the time was designed specifically for syndication - any episode could be played in any order (preferably from any season). In retrospect the mytharc is not good, but it was culture-changing at the time.

*I seem to remember the boxed DVD set of the x-files was over a hundred dollars at Sun Coast. It def. wasn't available for rent at Blockbuster or any local shop, and :lol::lmao: at buying it across 8 VHS (or however many it was)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vampire Panties posted:

*I seem to remember the boxed DVD set of the x-files was over a hundred dollars at Sun Coast. It def. wasn't available for rent at Blockbuster or any local shop, and :lol::lmao: at buying it across 8 VHS (or however many it was)

I definitely remember renting x files tapes from video stores that would make blockbuster look high brow. Die Hand die verlezt ftw

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
My brain keeps mixing up cigarette man and a Simpsons joke and creating

GBM Spender

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrow:

Everything we know about :airquote: Prestige TV :airquote: begins with the X files. The idea of a season-spanning story in an era that effectively pre-dates physical media for television* was completely revolutionary. The vast majority of TV at the time was designed specifically for syndication - any episode could be played in any order (preferably from any season). In retrospect the mytharc is not good, but it was culture-changing at the time.

Twin Peaks is more revolutionary I think, but I first saw TP and the first 5 seasons of X-files back-to-back a few years ago and had to supress an incredible urge to set up a pirate radio signal in the middle of a forest.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 10, 2023

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

maybeadracula posted:

Nah, maybe it was my perspective as a kid, but the mytharc episodes were the weakest then too, especially after the first couple seasons when it became just conspiracies within conspiracies filled with nonsense.

Monster of the week was always where the show shined.

Seasons 1&2 hooked people so hard right away because they were mostly monster of the week with an occasional story arc, but as the ratio started shifting in later seasons, it started becoming less interesting over time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Twin Peaks is more revolutionary I think, but I first saw TP and the first 5 seasons of X-files back-to-back and had to supress an incredible urge to set up a pirate radio signal in the middle of a forest.

Yeah Twin Peaks really is the beginning, and the X-Files owes a lot to it.

Hard to believe that first season of Twin Peaks was a phenomena. It's so weird!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Enfys posted:

Seasons 1&2 hooked people so hard right away because they were mostly monster of the week with an occasional story arc, but as the ratio started shifting in later seasons, it started becoming less interesting over time.

Sure no one will argue with that I don't think

The rarity was part of the appeal (also the appearance that it was going someplace meaningful)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

redshirt posted:

Yeah Twin Peaks really is the beginning, and the X-Files owes a lot to it.

Hard to believe that first season of Twin Peaks was a phenomena. It's so weird!

David Lynch not guest directing an X-Files episode was a missed opportunity.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think part of the issue was that, as the larger arc escalated into governmental conspiracy, they had to make excuses as to why mulder and scully were still able to just be weirdo fbi agents most of the time in between. Just led to some weird tension shifts between episodes.

"Kill mulder and he will become a martyr of a new movement" as if anyone outside of the people everyone already assumes are crazy would care.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Bro! I can't get cable, only have an antennae, and Comet is my jam! Here's the Monday through Friday lineup:
10 - Farscape
11 - 2 - Stargate SG1
3 - 6 - Grimm (A fun weird show, like a supernatural soap opera, or also "Boy Buffy")
6 - 9 - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
9 - 12 - The X-Files

:hellyeah: They also show a lot of OG Godzilla movies and ‘60s/‘70s/‘80s B-movie horror, schlock, and sci-fi. It’s like reliving a local UHF channel in the ‘80s.

And Tales From the Darkside on weekends! Fuckin’ love me some Comet. Yeah, they’re owned by Sinclair Broadcasting which sucks doodoo poo poo, but there is no indication of who they really are on the channel.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

i remember seeing some thing pop out a dudes neck as a kid and being scared

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

:hellyeah: They also show a lot of OG Godzilla movies and ‘60s/‘70s/‘80s B-movie horror, schlock, and sci-fi. It’s like reliving a local UHF channel in the ‘80s.

And Tales From the Darkside on weekends! Fuckin’ love me some Comet. Yeah, they’re owned by Sinclair Broadcasting which sucks doodoo poo poo, but there is no indication of who they really are on the channel.

Hell yeah Comet Bro! Yesterday they played schlocky Xmas horror movies. Today its all B Greek movies. Jason and the Argonauts, etc.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'd be hard pressed to think of a sillier episode of the X-Files than the one about the house haunted by the spirit of the Brady Bunch house featuring David Faustino.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pretty sure they just got recommended to me on Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Vakal posted:

I'd be hard pressed to think of a sillier episode