Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vakal posted:

I'd be hard pressed to think of a sillier episode of the X-Files than the one about the house haunted by the spirit of the Brady Bunch house featuring David Faustino.

That episode is great, though. It's the penultimate episode of the initial run and they basically make the whole story about letting some poo poo go and the dangers of getting hung up on some bullshit forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mitch Pileggi fuckin rocks.

and is the true sex symbol of the X-files

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

:gary::captainpop::ibadpop::eyepop::eyepoop::popeye::chanpop::yarg:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cool band photo

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wijp4-3giNw

WEREWOLVES OF BLENDER
Jun 1, 2020

The face of sex addiction

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ginette Reno posted:

The final episode was such bullshit with Skinner's feet sticking out from underneath CSM's crashed car. In my mind there's a deleted scene where you hear him growl "Son of a bitch!" and he heaves it clear like the Hulk.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I enjoyed the Will Sasso invisible man episode.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
X-Files was my first jump into fandom. I was around 19 when it came out and it was one of the only TV shows I made sure I was home to watch. I like the Monster of the week in season 1 but the finale and Scully's abduction in S02 hooked me in.

One of the first things I did when I got AOL was to start looking up stuff on X-Files. There I met other fans and spent lots of time in chat rooms. Soon I found my way to helping a new online "friend" run their X-Files fan site. It was typical 90s fan site, screensavers, Windows Plus themes, horribly edited shipping videos, fan fic, you name it. I think someone noticed we had more hits then Fox's official site. We were sent a cease and desist but we just ignored it. Weeks later the webhost just deleted our site and stopped replying to our emails.

I had recorded each episode, no commercials, on VHS when FX ran marathons. I bought a TV capture card just so I could post screenshots and really lovely GIFs. I ran a Geocities site that reviewed the X-Files comic book issues. (yes there was one).

I'm currently re-watching on Disney+, after not seeing most of these in over 10 years. The early seasons reminded me of all those fan site titles like "geocities.com/MulderItsMe" or a page dedicated to Mulder wearing glasses or a speedo.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 11, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Eugene toombs gave me nightmares for years because I was 6 when I saw the episode

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
It was a pretty great show. The first episode with Tooms is still one of my favourites, I love the last scene with him building another nest in prison and then looking at the slot on the door.

Scully and Mulder posting was very common in dial up Internet times.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Lone Gunmen were awesome because they were old school hackers and phreakers. Their series was awesome and they got did dirty in later seasons.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

The Lone Gunmen were awesome because they were old school hackers and phreakers. Their series was awesome and they got did dirty in later seasons.

9/11 coverup

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Roswell.

ROSWELL!

Edit: That episode hits really different in today's climate. Still one of the best

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Home scared the poo poo out of 10-year-old me, that was the first time I watched an episode of a TV show and then the next day it was all anyone could talk about.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ZJ8Et3z6E

I miss when there were a bunch of weird scif/scifi- flavored shows, some in primetime slots, on in the 90s

edit
Ah goddammit please click through to watch the clip it's totally worth it I promise!!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The title makes it sound like some kind of hot take but X-files was recognized as a good show at the time and in retrospect too. It does go down in quality after S5 and then once Mulder disappears but the earlier ones are classic. I liked the conspiracy stuff too well enough, at least until the movie.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I loved the X-Files while growing up and I always preferred the MotW episodes. Although I rewatched Clyve Bruckman's Final Repose recently with a friend and he did point out as a procedural it is complete rubbish even though it was great TV.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kleBbnNXeJw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Budzilla posted:

I loved the X-Files while growing up and I always preferred the MotW episodes. Although I rewatched Clyve Bruckman's Final Repose recently with a friend and he did point out as a procedural it is complete rubbish even though it was great TV.

your friend sounds complete rubbish!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

The title makes it sound like some kind of hot take but X-files was recognized as a good show at the time and in retrospect too. It does go down in quality after S5 and then once Mulder disappears but the earlier ones are classic. I liked the conspiracy stuff too well enough, at least until the movie.

For a while it was, but most people have come around. History has been kind to the X-Files because we've seen just how much worse a show can get about getting lost up the rear end in a top hat of its own mythology, losing the plot so badly that even megafans are disgusted, and then bungling the ending.

The X-Files slipped on banana peels so that Lost could belly-flop into a mud puddle so that Game of Thrones could swan-dive off the high board into an empty swimming pool.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAAlDoAtV7Y

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mark Snow's score is just amazing. It's just cheesy synth music but drat if you could imagine the show without it.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Gave up around season 7 of the original run. Watched the whole series when the remasters came out, boy did they ever love autopsy scenes.
Were the new seasons any good?

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Klyith posted:

For a while it was, but most people have come around. History has been kind to the X-Files because we've seen just how much worse a show can get about getting lost up the rear end in a top hat of its own mythology, losing the plot so badly that even megafans are disgusted, and then bungling the ending.

The X-Files slipped on banana peels so that Lost could belly-flop into a mud puddle so that Game of Thrones could swan-dive off the high board into an empty swimming pool.

Thought the 2018 episode with Reggie Something was masterful. Don't care, suck my dick haters

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

redshirt posted:

Yeah Twin Peaks really is the beginning, and the X-Files owes a lot to it.

Hard to believe that first season of Twin Peaks was a phenomena. It's so weird!

I was 12 when Twin Peaks aired, and all my friends and I were loving HOOKED. We didn't get all of it but even that amazing. I don't think I've actually ever rewatched it, maybe I should.

Enfys posted:

Nah, maybe it was my perspective as a kid, but the mytharc episodes were the weakest then too, especially after the first couple seasons when it became just conspiracies within conspiracies filled with nonsense.

Monster of the week was always where the show shined.

Seasons 1&2 hooked people so hard right away because they were mostly monster of the week with an occasional story arc, but as the ratio started shifting in later seasons, it started becoming less interesting over time.

100% this. I watched X-Files when it first aired and the mythology episodes were considered weaker than the monster of the week stuff even back then. They just seem even hokier today.

It feels like they got kind of trapped in a bad place, where the first seasons' mythology started feeling repetitive when it was just basically "Mulder hears about a secret government facility where they keep REAL ALIENS but when he gets there it has been mysteriously cleared out" over and over again, and once they started raising the stakes it started getting more and more ludicrous.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ginette Reno posted:

He manages to make his male pattern baldness sexy and powerful. I don't know how he does it, but god drat he looks good with it.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I was 12 when Twin Peaks aired, and all my friends and I were loving HOOKED. We didn't get all of it but even that amazing. I don't think I've actually ever rewatched it, maybe I should.

100% this. I watched X-Files when it first aired and the mythology episodes were considered weaker than the monster of the week stuff even back then. They just seem even hokier today.

It feels like they got kind of trapped in a bad place, where the first seasons' mythology started feeling repetitive when it was just basically "Mulder hears about a secret government facility where they keep REAL ALIENS but when he gets there it has been mysteriously cleared out" over and over again, and once they started raising the stakes it started getting more and more ludicrous.
The problem is that the show was so successful that any conclusion to it would ruin the money train. Also Chris Carter is a hack at writing endings.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

He manages to make his male pattern baldness sexy and powerful. I don't know how he does it, but god drat he looks good with it.

He's loving ripped. He's fantasing about your friends dad when he's mowing and then he takes his shirt off and he has arms like pythons and a stabbing scar from college.

I honestly think part of the reasons it's endured is that even though the last couple of seasons suffer from the chemistry between the leads not being there (and for the record I like Doggett, Reyes not so much), it wasn't really in the zeitgeist so much, so people remember the good stuff. I'll go to bat for episodes like Sunshine Days being all-timers, but the super soldier plot was boring and nonsense, even if it did mean we got some Lucy Lawless in the show.

It ended exactly when it needed to (9/11 would have sent the show into a crisis) and they haven't been too greedy with revivals. I know it ended in 2002, but accounting for writing/production lag. If the show actually accounted for the massive shift in the cultural landscape around that time, I think it could have soured badly.

Post show, we got the okay movie where Billy Connolly was a peado priest, and two, short mini series that were disappointing but still had a couple of good new episodes.

It could be because Duchovny and Anderson have done well for themselves, but are central to the shows appeal and are happy to leave the characters largely behind, so there hasn't been a chance to absolutely run it into the ground.

There are elements that are creaky on rewatches, like sexual assault being weirdly trivialised a bunch (Small Potatoes & The Post Modern Prometheus are great episodes that come to mind, but they really do go that well a couple of times) and the show REALLY liked that "wow, native Americans are literally magic" kind of goofy liberalism in the earlier seasons, but that wasn't unique for a show from the early-mid 90s. However, it's overall pretty wholesome for a show about government conspiracies in a way I can't imagine now. I've often wondered if The X-Files had a hand in the popularisation of conspiratorial thinking in recent years and I really can't draw that link too strongly, thankfully.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 11, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" terrified me as a kid. I was 9 when it first aired and my parents let me watch it. None of the humor got through to me and the stop motion alien at the beginning freaked me out really bad. Then we got to more traditional alien greys, which already scared me as a kid, and you had a recipe for absolute terror.

As an adult this is one of my favorite episodes, it's so funny and weird and I think a perfect microcosm of what the X-files can be.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObAVSxOW2Pc

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The only one I could find is kinda scuffed, why the gently caress is getting the original poster so hard now? I miss the one I got in 2012.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
probably could just print your own

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Vakal posted:

probably could just print your own

on poster print of that size and quality?
it'd end up running me more than the 15 bucks this was, it's just weird how it has JPEG artifacts.

E: Wait a second this is an entirely different poster and also not the same as what's pictured, goddamnit amazon.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" terrified me as a kid. I was 9 when it first aired and my parents let me watch it. None of the humor got through to me and the stop motion alien at the beginning freaked me out really bad. Then we got to more traditional alien greys, which already scared me as a kid, and you had a recipe for absolute terror.
Dork.

I was a hopeless X-files fan during it's original run (University, the first couple of years after), and it always shocks me when I have watched episodes over the last 15 years or so and realize how poorly the mythology episodes have aged. Some of that poo poo is just cringingly bad.

The MoTW episodes hold up shockingly well in comparison. Some of them are among the best horror/scifi television ever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SRQ posted:

on poster print of that size and quality?
it'd end up running me more than the 15 bucks this was, it's just weird how it has JPEG artifacts.

E: Wait a second this is an entirely different poster and also not the same as what's pictured, goddamnit amazon.

Never seen an x-file solved so quickly

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

One of the first episodes I saw was The Goldberg Variation with the lucky guy & I enjoyed it but it threw me off about how dark other episodes could get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Has anyone posted this yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwjZ2_87y1k