Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Vancouver acting scene wasn’t quite big enough for the needs of multiple weekly tv shows. I remember seeing Roger Cross like two or three times. Benita Ha from Street Cents was on a few times too, but never Jono Torrens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

McGavin posted:

That's because Street Cents was filmed in Halifax and Jonovision was filmed in Toronto.

That's a very good reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There is a pivotal scene in Neuromancer where a bunch of cynical teen hackers help the main character by using pay phones as part of some sci-fi phone phreak thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pac and Cheese posted:

i've been watching x files for the first time, my main takeaways are that it's one of the best comedies ever made, and that mark snow got paid more to aimlessly noodle around on a keyboard for a few years than you'll make in your entire life

It perfectly balanced tension and character-based comedy for maybe four seasons and then they leaned too far into humor and upset the balance. It’s really something to enjoy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And that lone oboe of comedy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

I would be shocked if this actually comes out, but this quote kind of blew my mind:

Like I know the 90s had some really hosed up ideas about beauty and sex appeal but those executives were insane.

On the one hand, the way they had her dressed was kind of dowdy. On the other hand, they made her do a strip tease in the pilot. I wonder if that scene was to placate the executives.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On Fridays they were up against TGIF and Burke’s Law, neither of which I think of as lasting very far into the 90s.

EDIT: Burke’s Law only existed in the 90s. I’m way off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love the rough edge on those early seasons. It’s not as good when they’re not straining to afford a single train car explosion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chris Carter ponderous monologues are so bad. They’re indistinguishable from parody.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

yes!!! Robert Patrick Modell. He's one of my absolute favorite characters in the series. If I ever get an X-Files tattoo, it's gonna be cerulean blue of some sort

The earliest pop-cultural depiction of a weeaboo I can think of.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

This is the only episode I skip every time now. There are some bad fuckin episodes but this one just makes me ill.

In other news I finally learned that The Lone Gunmen is all up on Youtube so I'm watching that for the first time. Not great, not terrible. Has its moments. Worth watching if you go into it expecting solidly mid-tier XF-ish content. I'm only about halfway through.

I can’t remember where I read it, but I saw a post once that said the problem with the Lone Gunmen series is that it took characters loved for bringing comedy into a serious show and for being clever saviors of the serious main characters there and it made them straight men who need help from other characters. Adding the dumb millionaire guy and the sexy spy lady was exactly the wrong decision—the lone gunmen needed like a boring cop or some other set of fbi agents who were even less fun than Mulder and Scully to play off of. When the only conflict is between the three of them and they need help, they become incompetent clowns.

The timeline wouldn’t have worked, but they should have been joined by their old police contact from Baltimore, John Munch.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zesty posted:

Yeah let me throw a dart here.

Season 3, Episode 14: Bad guy is a mentally ill man (Mostow) who claims a demon is making him kill others. Red Foreman is so obsessed with catching the killer, he unknowingly becomes mentally ill himself by empathizing with him and starts performing murders.

Random number generator'd that one. Honestly, first hit.

It's really supremely easy to notice this though. How many times is the bad guy mentally ill, or deformed in some way, or someone dealing with trauma? If they're actually trying to portray a specific disability, notice how they dial it up to 11 and sprinkle on as many other unrelated disabilities as possible, such as Roland's Autism.

How often is someone with a disability only there to be pitied? Every single instance where they're not the bad guy.

"Mulder also believes that Harold formed some kind of profound connection to the victims but was unable to express his feelings due to his Autism so a psychic connection formed between him and the murdered women."
-Elegy, Season 4, Episode 22

Magical Disabled Trope, an offshoot of the Magical Negro trope.

Any amount of googling will show umteen instances of disability being portrayed poorly. They're not rare at all. It's a theme. Disability is used as inspiration for X-Files episodes.

Here's an article about disability stereotypes. It might help you pin specific tropes to the episodes you watch.

I forget the episode (it might be the psychic bowling alley pinsetter guy one in your post), but there’s a scene where Mulder and Scully interview residents of a group home for people with developmental disabilities, and it has some gags that would probably not have been ok at the time because they’re about how wacky and weird the people in the boarding house are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

BINGO! Also Fight Club loving SUCKS and that might be my most hated episode. It starts out so promising and then... yeah, it's absolutely not an X-Files episode after the first like 15 minutes and the amount of disappointment I feel with a good monster of the week idea wasted on kathy loving griffith

Also the episode I keep mentioning about Scully's faith is Revelations which is the start of a minor storyline that persists I think even into the new seasons where Scully's religious beliefs are in conflict with her work. As someone who was raised Catholic, I don't need to hear this dumb poo poo anymore I already know we're all going to hell or w/e

That’s the one where she helps an angel kill some kids born with extra fingers, right? Or “helps them escape to heaven”?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were those dementia-reversing Vietnamese mushrooms that caused absolutely no ill effects unless someone took too many (like all medication). Luckily, Mulder and Scully discovered them and had the nurse who was growing them deported so that medical science could never learn of them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are probably scientific explanations for Bruce Campbell. Wasn’t he testing people’s blood to find someone who was more likely to have a normal baby with him? He and the other devil lady could have just been weird mutants or like part of an ethnic group with unfortunate features.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Having any kind of world-changing implications from the motw episodes is complicated by having all of the superpowered or supernatural one-off people be gross criminals or unfixable perverts independent of whatever magic thing they do. Nobody could ever convince that lightning kid to do anything good or even be curious about what he can do. Even scientists are usually obsessed with revenge from beyond the grave or some poo poo instead of taking Scully or their old department chair aside for five minutes to explain how it works.

And then when you do get somebody reasonable, smoking man black-bags him for a mind suck.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s actually not that bad, but the show’s pretty much out of steam. It was actually out of steam two seasons before that, but it can still be fun.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alien Bounty Hunter is great because he’s the only guy involved in the alien stuff who’s just punching a clock and absolutely does not give a poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

both

an alien alien bounty hunter if you will

if he turned against them he'd be an alien alien alien bounty hunter bounty hunter

Yeah, he’s introduced as the guy tasked with killing the Samantha clones (who are aliens, I guess) and identical scientist guys who are working together to escape alien stuff and live secretly on Earth. Then that gets forgotten and he’s just there to kill humans whenever certain alien stuff is at risk of being exposed. Other alien stuff is not a big deal, apparently.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was a really good idea to use the half of the season they had Duchovny for at the end instead of the beginning, and then to just have him as a supporting character just kind of farting around and helping the new agents. They just executed it poorly and then did another season after a conclusion that was decent enough for Mulder and Scully (they’re pretty much done with fighting aliens and happy to leave that to the new characters while they focus on raising their kid).

A few more episodes of Duchovny/Patrick teaming up and learning respect for one another would have really sold it when Mulder took the heat for blowing up an oil rig and got fired. Then a couple more with him just consulting and seeing the new kids do it on their own would have been great.

The show also suffers from taking the conspiracy stuff in that weird robot army guy direction. The black oil and everything from the Mulder era just drops out, so it’s weird having him back investigating Adam Baldwin. Maybe part of those final episodes could have been him realizing that all his expertise on the old conspiracy is basically useless and he’s behind the times post-resurrection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

tidal wave emulator posted:

Also the fact that every planet in Stargate SG-1 just happened to have the exact same biome as inland British Columbia.

Inland British Columbia being the same as every other planet they visit just means that Earth is typical for a planet with a stargate.