Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The myth arc is pretty good from season 1 to like 6 and a 1/2. Then it's pretty bad.

But there's good monster of the weeks from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mitch Pileggi fuckin rocks.

and is the true sex symbol of the X-files

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

First Person Shooter, an episode written by William Gibson of all people (I actually really like the earlier William Gibson episode with the cybergoth who lives in a container and dead guy stuck in the internet and poo poo).

The second Gibson penned episode is shockingly bad and not even as entertaining as screengrabs from it.

Kill Switch (the cybergoth episode you mentioned) has one of my favorite cold opens of any X-Files monster of the week. Episode is pretty good too but I love that cold open.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

I really liked that dynamic. I don't think Mulder ever criticized or objected to it the same way Scully did the standard paranormal stuff but it was clear what he thought of the religious side of things.

Yeah they basically flip the dynamic around whenever there's a religious episode. Mulder becomes the skeptic and Scully is totally ready to believe that the devil is here or an angel or whatever crazy poo poo. Aliens though? Scully ain't down for that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

I remember my dad dropping off the show because he got irritated at Scully's skepticism, but it always gets characterised as "there's no such thing as werewolf aliens" when she's much more "look, let's explore the more likely avenues than werewolf aliens, like a hosed up guy with a disease maybe" while Mulder is like "GOD?! LMAO gently caress you, Scully!"

I think the reason that Scully's skepticism can get irritating for some people is that Mulder's lunatic hunches end up correct 99% of the time. So after a while of this people end up going like wtf Scully how many times does Mulder need to be right before you give him some slack with his insane theories?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Edit 2: Actually I really like X. His short story arc is my favorite. Dude wants to help but doesn't want to put his life on the line, then ultimately saves Mulder.

Steven Williams is fantastic and they killed him off too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The show is absolutely not designed for it, but it's very interesting to watch from the perspective of "ok, so, who witnessed what? And what evidence did they actually gather in the end?"

Like, in the less-popular vampire episode "3", the only 'supernatural' occurrence is that a dude spontaneously combusts in front of a bunch of witnesses and the doctor's like, "idk, some kind of weird skin disorder?" The corpse later maybe disappears, and they never follow up on it. Everything else with the vampires is just a noir-ish psychodrama about a woman with an abusive ex.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are episodes where stuff is objectively proven but nobody cares. With flukeman, they probably recover half his body and test his dna, and it even ends up in the news, but this discovery has no effect on anything.

I'm going to reference Seinfeld here for a moment to make a point so please excuse the randomness of me doing that but I remember watching a Jason Alexander interview once where he talked about how something that George did in an episode was insane and how can they just drop it and go into next week's episode and not mention it and Larry David basically said that he wasn't interested in it any more because it's not funny any more after the bit, so they just ignored it and moved on to the next episode. Seinfeld broke a lot of TV norms by doing stuff like that where it might otherwise be common to have characters learn from poo poo.

Anyhow, I was thinking about the X-Files recently and it occurred to me that they kinda do the same thing with the monster of the week episodes and the mytharc too lol. Crazy poo poo happens, and if you think about it past the surface level it has extraordinary implications on the world the characters live in, but they just move on to the next motw and don't focus on how last week's episode time travel was proven possible or ghosts were shown to exist or whatever. The continuity is in the relationships built by Mulder/Scully/Skinner etc. But the show is rightfully less concerned with what the implications of those motws mean for the actual world.

I think it's fine to leave stuff like that to the imagination and/or not touch on it too much and obviously lets the show do crazy episodes without having to worry about fitting them into the larger mythology of the show.