Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Were people bad mouthing the X-Files OP?

Agent Scully was a hugely influential character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Whenever I get asked my favorite color I answer "Cerulean Blue"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

I occasionally say "cerulean blue is a gentle breeze" when I see a blue truck and no one knows what the gently caress I'm on about

lol I do!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I hope the Smoking Man is in this one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

There's this broadcast channel called Comet that I didn't even know existed before this year and I swear half their entire lineup is the X-Files.

Bro! I can't get cable, only have an antennae, and Comet is my jam! Here's the Monday through Friday lineup:
10 - Farscape
11 - 2 - Stargate SG1
3 - 6 - Grimm (A fun weird show, like a supernatural soap opera, or also "Boy Buffy")
6 - 9 - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
9 - 12 - The X-Files

I usually turn it on and rip off the knob.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Twin Peaks is more revolutionary I think, but I first saw TP and the first 5 seasons of X-files back-to-back and had to supress an incredible urge to set up a pirate radio signal in the middle of a forest.

Yeah Twin Peaks really is the beginning, and the X-Files owes a lot to it.

Hard to believe that first season of Twin Peaks was a phenomena. It's so weird!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

:hellyeah: They also show a lot of OG Godzilla movies and ‘60s/‘70s/‘80s B-movie horror, schlock, and sci-fi. It’s like reliving a local UHF channel in the ‘80s.

And Tales From the Darkside on weekends! Fuckin’ love me some Comet. Yeah, they’re owned by Sinclair Broadcasting which sucks doodoo poo poo, but there is no indication of who they really are on the channel.

Hell yeah Comet Bro! Yesterday they played schlocky Xmas horror movies. Today its all B Greek movies. Jason and the Argonauts, etc.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

The Lone Gunmen were awesome because they were old school hackers and phreakers. Their series was awesome and they got did dirty in later seasons.

9/11 coverup

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I felt like some of Twin Peaks hokeyness is it being a bit of a parody of soap operas but it's hard to tell how much

I definitely got the vibe it was sometimes a parody of soap operas. That's how I watched it, intentionally.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I'm still amazed they gave David Lynch a TV show that ran as long as it did

Indeed. I could see it today, with two decades of bold TV shows under our belt. But back in the late 80's'? That's amazing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Enfys posted:

Modern tv shows really suffer from the lack of crazy poo poo you can do if you only have 6-10 episodes to work with.

Watch Stargate SG:1 to see the Clip Show reach its highest perfection.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Truth is out there

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's ironic.

Scully's skepticism in the face of unrelenting weirdness is the most unexplainable aspect of the show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Scully's skepticism and also insanely Catholic when the story demands. Meanwhile mulder has no time for that weird poo poo

Scully's Alien Baby

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

What a terrible loving idea!

Welcome to 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulder becomes Gen Q's Smoking Man. Genius!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

X-Files would totally work these days with the government as an active antagonist.

The DEEP STATE doesn't want you to know about Greys.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Setting a reboot in like the 70's or something could work. It might be a bit confusing wither it was a prequel or whatever, but feel like the 70's were a good time for weird conspiracy theories, plus it's a bit modern, but not too modern, and you still have seemingly un-explored places and unknowns. People aren't walking around with smart phones taking videos 24/7 and what not.

A pre-Watergate X-Files would be fantastic. A naive, optimistic population...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I feel a good end for her character arc would of been her accepting her religious side, than becoming the new Pope.

Then in the movie they could of had Mulder going around with the Pope uncovering alien conspiracies and what not.

Or Space Pope adventures.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

1985 and yeah, they had a few flashback episodes showing what Walter was doing back then.

They re-did the intro for those episodes and it was awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xND6ApPrXc

Space pope adventures would be awesome. Although not sure how space pope would keep their cool hat from floating away in zero G.

Robes also not the greatest for going about in zero g either come to think of it.

Space robo adventures....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Good time to explore all the other alphabet-files. Let's follow the agents covering the I-files investigating unexplainable or supernatural insurance claims.

We got another I-File McSculley!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

X-files - Hawaii sunshine
- Join Mulder and Scully as they decided to give up the dark basements and conspiracy theories, as they both decided to quite the FBI and become Life savers on the beautiful beaches of Hawaii, amongst all the sexy babes and dudes living it up in paradise! Surfs is well and truly up as these two finally let their hair down, relax, and PARTTY!!!!!

Friday: 11:30-12:30 Fox8 (PG15)

Xtreme Files

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The X-Files movie is where I dropped off the hype train. I was into it till then.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mitch Peliggi has a small role in Stargate Atlantis. I've not seen him in his tighty whiteys so far though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

How about a lizard woman who was living in centre of the Earth but is now a detective in Victorian England. Her human assistant, Jenny, is also her wife. Oh and they have an alien butler.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/QnrHlN51YSCHfp9YqsRDyq/madame-vastra

Tea, Inspector?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Enfys posted:

I'll never try to reread them because it would almost certainly ruin my good memories of them, but I really loved the X-Files novels as a kid and devoured them in between waiting for new episodes

they are also very educational

this book taught me that skin cells are everywhere and you should never ever touch your face with your hands, a lesson child-me took to heart :colbert:

You are wise and powerful.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

There were a couple of X-Files teen novels released within the last few years, dealing with teen Mulder and Scully respectively. While they're probably not canon, The Mulder one was fun and covers the events that spark his interest in the FBI. There's no supernatural or cryptozoologica stuff in it though, just a (surprisingly grim for a YA book) normal hosed up guy. I should read the Scully one one slow evening.

Drop the names of these novels, please.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

The mulder one is called X-Files: Agents of Chaos, and the Scully one Devils Advocate. I've only read the Mulder one, but like I said, breezy enough with probably enough there for a fan of the show.

Gracias

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

from way back but lol i know this schedule by heart too and i have cable lol

X-Files is really special, I've rewatched it probably 5-6 times at this point? and can generally tell you the entire plot to most episodes up to 8th or 9th season based off 1-2 minutes from the intro. i really wish there was another TV show that got me like the X-Files did but its also a very once in a lifetime series. Fringe is a close second and I enjoy JJ Abrams weird rear end stuff so

LOL Comet went and changed their lineup out of nowhere, midweek. I don't know what it is anymore except Buffy got knocked down and Grimm got elevated WTF??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

They aired Event Horizon and Capricorn One yesterday, and had a marathon of Friday the 13th: The Series earlier today. Apparently tonight they're airing Chopping Mall and Piranha, but right now they're playing... wait for it... The X-Files.

God I love them. They have weekend Godzilla marathons often enough.

It reminds me of the old Saturday morning "Creature Double Features" on Boston Channel 56.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Warehouse 13 is another great X-Files-ish kind of show. Monster of the week , underlying conspiracy, skeptic vs. believer

Have we talked about Millennium yet or have I had too much egg nog?

Where does Supernatural fit on this prism?

I've only ever been able to watch parts of episodes here and there over years, so I have an idea, but not really.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BasicLich posted:

yaoi buffy

No one from the Buffy gang ever presented themselves as official. Weren't them Dean boys always pretending to be some kind of Fed or whatnot?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Yep. I'd say the main difference is that that their were plenty of reoccurring demons and angels and what not who were actual characters and the dean brothers wern't trying to expose some thruth they were just trying to kill evil stuff cos that what they do. This makes the Atmosphere of the shows quite different as well. Supernature was more fantasy/action/comedy where as x-files was more horror/mystery. In general different episodes obviously could lean more towards some aspect or another.

They did do a fair bit of investigating though, so like there is a tiny bit of connection there.

Well said. Would you also describe it as a science vibe v overt supernatural vibe?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

yeah, while supernatural stuff happens in the x-files it is pretty much all shown to have at least hints of scientific backing. Supernaturals just like science? lol what, the devil, god are just a thing and fantasy/magic crap just exists all of the joint.

My overall take of Supernatural was pretty close, you know, IMO. I just love the overlay of "Fake FBI" dealing with angles and demons. Like an inverted X-Files maybe? lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Please explain to me the scientific nature of "The Whammy"

- Scully

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

X-Files was apparently fairly popular in Japan in its heyday.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19960322&slug=2320199

Wow, Murphy Brown popular in Japan. Huh.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The unit 731 episode was edited down to just 5 minutes

lol just the MARK SNOW music intro, and the roll out credits with the "I made this!" tag, in Japanese.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can someone successfully and succinctily summarize the "Mythology" storyline?
The black goo, the aliens, the bees, the abductions, etc.

I can't do it successfully, but IIRC the whole plot was a long term project by a group of humans working with aliens to create an alien-human hybrid. The aliens were the dominant partner in this relationship.

Am I close?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The reason its hard to follow is the reason why the G-men are doing things is a moving goal post. The writers didn't have a 'bible' so much as Chris Carters rantings.

At first it seems they want to make human/alien hybrids. Archives of human DNA to see if they are good subjects for mixing dna. The black goo is an alien that makes... more aliens? But there is a resistance to this (the guys with sewn up eyes and mouths). The bees are related to the human clones, but the bees carry a weapon to kill non hybrids? Mix this in with the smoking man trying to undermine the aliens.... Later seasons say they want to make super humans.

I mean the plot I guess is the FBI met aliens and negotiated a deal, but the deal required human subjects (their kids). Mulder's dad regretted this, but CSM was okay... cause he is really Mulder's dad? They seem to want to collect aliens to test on to reverse engineer a cure to the alien's dna (which I think are in the bees/black goo?). Also the CSM uses Mulder's search for his sister as a tool to motivate Mulder.

Its all very dumb and rereading my post is just as dumb.

Edit: While I think Season 4 and 5 have the most popular episodes, I really like 1 and 2 for how mundane they look.

Edit 2: Actually I really like X. His short story arc is my favorite. Dude wants to help but doesn't want to put his life on the line, then ultimately saves Mulder.

I bet you are close, but.... not that succinct. lol

I forgot about the aliens with the sealed eyes and mouth (though I can see the actor clearly, I think. He was in everything back then. He plays the second in command Vampire in Buffy Season 1), and the fact that there were rival alien factions. Which of course complicates the plot greatly, but is also cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Are you talking about the alien bounty hunter?

He is in a lot of weird sci-fi stuff. But the sewn up eye people are only in one season I think? They are pretty minor characters.

Yes, lol, him. He's not one of the sewed up eye aliens?