Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

And that lone oboe of comedy.

I personally like the romantic music that plays whenever mysterious blonde mystery woman from Season 4 (whose name I don’t care to remember) shows up near Mulder. As far as I know, that never went anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Marita Covarrubias?

YES her

newts
Oct 10, 2012
My kids pointed out that she has the same hair as Scully. (TBF, it was the 90s, so everyone had that hair)

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m watching the show (again) with my kids. I watched it originally when it aired and my sister and I were obsessed with it back then. We’re on Season 4 right now, somewhere in the middle. Random thoughts so far:

Episode that scared the kids the most: Squeeze

Kids’ favorite episode: The sidesshow one (I forgot the name)

Overall best episode: Clyde Buckman’s Final Repose. This has edged out Jose Chung as my favorite episode during this viewing. Every character is just so charming. I know that’s a weird thing to say, but sometimes Mulder comes off as a dick and Scully as a pretentious loser. In this episode, they feel like the perfect essence of each character and I just like them more. Plus, Peter Boyle is great and the mystery is fun and clever.

Overall worst episode: Any lovely ‘ethnic’ episode. Or most episodes with Chris Carter as co-writer. Especially, any episodes with Chris Carter writing where we get Scully or Mulder reading their word-salad diary out loud.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

bagmonkey posted:

OP IMO the worst episode is the Scully religious crisis episode because it sucked every bit of rear end possible and then got ignored

Also OP what did the kids think of the Stephen King possessed doll episode, the vampire episode I love “Bad Blood”, the Cerulean Blue arc, idk I will post others but I’m curious!!!

We haven’t got to most of those yet. What’s Cerulean Blue? Is that from Pusher?

Some other thoughts… Kids loved the cockroach episode. I still found it pretty enjoyable. I can now (as an adult) appreciate the episode with the Satanic teachers. Just the opening scene where they’re arguing about the content of a potential school play before their black mass was pretty great.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I think we’ll watch the good Season 5 episodes and then maybe some recommended from the later seasons and stop there.

Also, I know I’ve seen the 2nd movie, but I have zero recollection of anything about it except that either Mulder or Scully wasn’t really in it (I can’t remember which one).

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

I am surprised you let them watch Home, and that it wasn't the one that scared the kids the most.

I didn’t. We’ve been skipping some. I think I skipped 2shy, too.

Also. I’d totally forgotten they killed off Pendrill before he even got to go on a date with Scully. :mad:

newts
Oct 10, 2012
It always felt weird to me that Mulder kept pursuing this elusive, nebulous alien conspiracy when right at his fingertips he had a human leech, ghosts, psychics, time travelers, werewolves, random shape-changing dude, guy who could grow a new head, etc.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Having any kind of world-changing implications from the motw episodes is complicated by having all of the superpowered or supernatural one-off people be gross criminals or unfixable perverts independent of whatever magic thing they do. Nobody could ever convince that lightning kid to do anything good or even be curious about what he can do. Even scientists are usually obsessed with revenge from beyond the grave or some poo poo instead of taking Scully or their old department chair aside for five minutes to explain how it works.

And then when you do get somebody reasonable, smoking man black-bags him for a mind suck.

I have to assume that there are non-human-flesh-eating mutants, conscientious and kind superpowered folk, and actual discrete evil scientists just out there living their boring lives and never attracting the attention of FBI agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
They took the show off Freevee, so I guess our watch party has come to an end :smith: