Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Suspekt Device posted:

I remember in sixth grade my friend was telling me about an episode with a fat vampire and I was like "yeah the one with the fat kid from the sandlot I've seen it". He was like "huh?" and went on to describe a totally different episode about a vampire that preys on overweight women through aol chatrooms who subsequently eats their fat when they meet up with him. And he was played by the bad guy from Beverly Hills Cop 3.

Ah, I see where you got confused. He was talking about a fat vampire, you were talking about a vampire fat.

Anyway, x-files is great. I've watched the first few seasons like a dozen times, although I've only ever finished the whole series once and never watched the reboot.

fake e: correction. I watched part of the very first episode of the reboot on tv but the only thing I remember is scully and mulder meeting up and the first line is one of them going "Uber?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I think part of the issue was that, as the larger arc escalated into governmental conspiracy, they had to make excuses as to why mulder and scully were still able to just be weirdo fbi agents most of the time in between. Just led to some weird tension shifts between episodes.

"Kill mulder and he will become a martyr of a new movement" as if anyone outside of the people everyone already assumes are crazy would care.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wijp4-3giNw

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Scully's skepticism and also insanely Catholic when the story demands. Meanwhile mulder has no time for that weird poo poo

I really liked that dynamic. I don't think Mulder ever criticized or objected to it the same way Scully did the standard paranormal stuff but it was clear what he thought of the religious side of things.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's been years since i've given the show a watch so maybe I'm mentally filling in gaps with meaning that isn't there but, I don't remember Scully ever being near so certain about the religious side of things as Mulder was in other episodes. And that a big part of Scully character was her trying to come to terms with what it means to be a Christian while living a life bound by science and reason.

I remember really liking Scully focused episodes because they usually included attempts at actual character growth

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

poor Queequeg

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

You know what never made sense to me? Scully and Mulder discover people and beings with fantastic abilities like controlling electricity, psychic projection, a legitimate genie, and none of them get weaponized for use against the world-ending alien threat.

A lot of those folks just end up dead, and I definitely remember it being a thing in multiple episodes where the government captures some of the ones who survive for study.

And the genie is obviously too dangerous to even try anything with, also Mulder frees her anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I was a big fan of The Lone Gunmen but yeah I honestly couldn't call it any better than "decent". Had some fun stuff and predicted 9/11 though