Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

this was the best episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

maybeadracula posted:

The mytharc episodes feel the weakest NOW

But the show wasn't made for now. Those were the most exciting by far at the time

If they're all stand-alone you can miss one, but you had to watch in case CSM CGB was going to show up

Nah, maybe it was my perspective as a kid, but the mytharc episodes were the weakest then too, especially after the first couple seasons when it became just conspiracies within conspiracies filled with nonsense.

Monster of the week was always where the show shined.

Seasons 1&2 hooked people so hard right away because they were mostly monster of the week with an occasional story arc, but as the ratio started shifting in later seasons, it started becoming less interesting over time.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Spazzle posted:

They also had to make 26 episodes a year, so they did a lot of crazy poo poo.

Modern tv shows really suffer from the lack of crazy poo poo you can do if you only have 6-10 episodes to work with.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I'll never try to reread them because it would almost certainly ruin my good memories of them, but I really loved the X-Files novels as a kid and devoured them in between waiting for new episodes

they are also very educational

this book taught me that skin cells are everywhere and you should never ever touch your face with your hands, a lesson child-me took to heart :colbert:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Just watched Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, and it's so incredibly good.

So many lines are seared into my brain.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I was trying to work out how I didn't realise David Arquette was in the x-files, but then I recently watched the episode with Jack Black so I figured it was possible

Enfys fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 13, 2024

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

SRQ posted:

Disagree, space is slow and pondering but doesn't do anything insultingly bad and at least the monster is kinda neat.

Bad episodes are painful. Like FPS is legitimately painful to watch.

Yeah Space was kinda tedious but nothing painfully bad, unless you count wasting Ed Lauter on a forgettable episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

bagmonkey posted:

my worst episode changes from time to time. currently i hate the scully religion one the most because ugh

network shows of the 90s - early 00s really did have a thing for "character is suddenly deeply religious for a single forced plot, never to be mentioned again", like the season 1 Scrubs espidoe where Turk is deeply religious for a single Christmas Eve