Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" terrified me as a kid. I was 9 when it first aired and my parents let me watch it. None of the humor got through to me and the stop motion alien at the beginning freaked me out really bad. Then we got to more traditional alien greys, which already scared me as a kid, and you had a recipe for absolute terror.

As an adult this is one of my favorite episodes, it's so funny and weird and I think a perfect microcosm of what the X-files can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

bitterandtwisted posted:

I like that they made an evil HOA episode because one of the show runners had a beef with his HOA

That one doesn't seem to get a ton of love but it's a good mix of spooky and funny. Mulder intentionally being a little poo poo to rile up the HOA is really great.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

eSports Chaebol posted:

nowadays Mulder would be like "The government is watching all of us!" and Scully would be like "Yeah, we know, Mulder. Everybody knows. Nobody cares." and then Mulder would just look sad and disappointed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Art_of_Forehead_Sweat

The revival seasons are absolutely a mixed bag and have the worst season finales of the whole show (and that's saying a lot) but they did handle this topic in an amazing episode.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Like someone mentioned the Thing episode. And yeah it's a real good one and illustrative of my point. Scully and Mulder are the smart people in a horror movie that are nonetheless pushed to the limits, and there's so much happening with the guest stars and the plot that it really is a full meal of an episode. And without the need for season hooks, or a greater mystery or whatever. Just great sci fi.

Lotta great guest starts throughout the show. Peter Boyle or Bryan Cranston were probably the best ones in terms of their performance, but I really love Luke Wilson in Bad Blood, especially when he portrays the hick version of himself that Mulder remembers.

"Ya'll from the gubmint?!?"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sure but the movie of Tales of the Darkside has Steve Buscemi murdering Julianne Moore with a mummy.

Check and mate.

The movie is real good (and could probably just be called Creepshow 3) but the show had some fun episodes, too. My favorite is the Tom Savini directed episode where a college student finds a tiny door in her bedroom that keeps opening at night.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

You know what never made sense to me? Scully and Mulder discover people and beings with fantastic abilities like controlling electricity, psychic projection, a legitimate genie, and none of them get weaponized for use against the world-ending alien threat.

I guess because all of the bigwigs in the government have just resigned themselves to the deal and thought that something like this might raise too much suspicion.

But it would have been cool if they had gotten the guy from Pusher to try and stop an alien. Could his powers even work on an alien brain?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i had the YA novelization of the "green bugs in the forest that kill the loggers" episode

I had "Hungry Ghosts", which is the adaptation of Hell Money.

I guess they didn't want to put "Hell" on the cover of a book for kids, but they still included some (as I remember it) pretty horrific descriptions of people getting their organs removed while they were still alive.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I would be shocked if this actually comes out, but this quote kind of blew my mind:

"" posted:

Carter also spoke about how Fox executives weren’t fans of his casting choices in the early 1990s, with the studio wanting someone else for Scully with studio executives asking him “where’s the sex appeal” when he cast Gillian Anderson.

Like I know the 90s had some really hosed up ideas about beauty and sex appeal but those executives were insane.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Executives just shrugging their shoulders and looking confused during the scene where Scully gets a tattoo.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

I don't think anyone understands the show less than Chris Carter, with the exception of whoever wrote that episode about the hospital with the cultist doctors who sacrifice patients.

His contributions to the revival season were the worst episodes of those seasons and maybe even the worst episodes of the entire series. He tried to make a right-wing TV host the good guy, I dunno what the gently caress he was on. The series finale was a giant wet fart, too.

bagmonkey posted:

OP IMO the worst episode is the Scully religious crisis episode because it sucked every bit of rear end possible and then got ignored

Also OP what did the kids think of the Stephen King possessed doll episode, the vampire episode I love “Bad Blood”, the Cerulean Blue arc, idk I will post others but I’m curious!!!

The doll episode is fun enough, but both the X-Files and King could have done better. It's still great to get some Stephen King tropes in X-Files, though, like a guy from Maine going "ayuh". I'm a huge Stephen King fan so I appreciate it for what it is.

Bad Blood loving kicks rear end, a top 10 episode for me. The gag where Scully remembers the sheriff as a brilliant hunk and Mulder seems him as a buck-toothed moron is so good.

"Ya'll from the gubbermint?!?"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

It's not an all-time great episode but I enjoy the one where Bruce Campbell is a demon who's trying to have a baby but just so happened to marry another demon who wants to have a demonic offspring.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My personal picks for worst episodes, based solely on how much I enjoyed them:

1) My Struggle IV: The final episode of the revival seasons and, presumably, the final episode of the show. Skinner dies (I think!?) in the most unsatisfying way possible, nothing is actually resolved, and Mulder and Scully STILL don't get a reunion with their kid, which has been a huge driving force of this entire season. Completely terrible.

2) Fight Club - The Kathy Griffin one. It was goofy but not in the X-Files way, it felt more like an episode of a paranormal sitcom or something. It's just a slog to get through this one.

3) My Struggle III - Chris Carter wrote himself into a corner at the end of the first revival season, this reveals that a large portion of it was JUST A DREAM. ONe of those pointless "Gotta reset the status quo fast!" episodes that also ends up being confusing and insults the audience's intelligence.

4) Babylon - The suicide bomber one. Weird tone shifts and a concept that probably shouldn't be handled on the X-Files and was handled in the worst way possible.

5) Teso Dos Bichos - Evil jaguar spirit possesses people to kill. It's executed as poorly as possible, like someone writing an X-Files episode without ever having seen the show or any TV at all.

And sorry, but First Person Shooter can't be bad when it includes this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I AM GRANDO posted:

Alien Bounty Hunter is great because he’s the only guy involved in the alien stuff who’s just punching a clock and absolutely does not give a poo poo.

The last time I rewatched the show this was the exact revelation I had, too. He's got work to do, he's gonna do it as quickly as possible and then get the gently caress outta there.

The Alchemist posted:

Im surprised nobody mentioned How the Ghosts Stole Christmas re: worst episode

I actually really like this one. It's not a top tier one, but I like the stuff between Mulder and Scully a lot. Mulder has nowhere to be on Christmas so he's staking out this haunted house. Scully feels bad and hangs out with him for a bit. It's a bit sappy by the end but in a fun way.