Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrow:

Everything we know about :airquote: Prestige TV :airquote: begins with the X files. The idea of a season-spanning story in an era that effectively pre-dates physical media for television* was completely revolutionary. The vast majority of TV at the time was designed specifically for syndication - any episode could be played in any order (preferably from any season). In retrospect the mytharc is not good, but it was culture-changing at the time.

*I seem to remember the boxed DVD set of the x-files was over a hundred dollars at Sun Coast. It def. wasn't available for rent at Blockbuster or any local shop, and :lol::lmao: at buying it across 8 VHS (or however many it was)

Twin Peaks is more revolutionary I think, but I first saw TP and the first 5 seasons of X-files back-to-back a few years ago and had to supress an incredible urge to set up a pirate radio signal in the middle of a forest.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

redshirt posted:

Yeah Twin Peaks really is the beginning, and the X-Files owes a lot to it.

Hard to believe that first season of Twin Peaks was a phenomena. It's so weird!

David Lynch not guest directing an X-Files episode was a missed opportunity.