Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Bro! I can't get cable, only have an antennae, and Comet is my jam! Here's the Monday through Friday lineup:
10 - Farscape
11 - 2 - Stargate SG1
3 - 6 - Grimm (A fun weird show, like a supernatural soap opera, or also "Boy Buffy")
6 - 9 - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
9 - 12 - The X-Files

I usually turn it on and rip off the knob.

from way back but lol i know this schedule by heart too and i have cable lol

X-Files is really special, I've rewatched it probably 5-6 times at this point? and can generally tell you the entire plot to most episodes up to 8th or 9th season based off 1-2 minutes from the intro. i really wish there was another TV show that got me like the X-Files did but its also a very once in a lifetime series. Fringe is a close second and I enjoy JJ Abrams weird rear end stuff so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The episode The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat is really fun because it kinda fucks up the entire Mythology storyline lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Like, if you want to get some enjoyment of the last few seasons of the X-Files, watch through to that episode and just stop right there. It's such a great end cap to the series

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Spazzle posted:

Wasn't there an episode where people come from a future not controlled by aliens? Doesn't that imply that alien domination is not inevitable?

if its past like, season 6, there's a poo poo ton of weird stuff that happens that either get reconned in later seasons or just gets completely forgotten about and never mentioned again

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
the newer seasons aren't as bad as the later season of the OG run but there's still some hit-or-miss episodes in there

i do think it's worth watching the show all the way through, its kind of like Nip/Tuck where it's an amazing trainwreck and you never need to go back to it once you're done

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
yo redshirt, Comet is on the Dogguy/Reyes episodes right now, why would anyone pay for this slop

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Jose Chung is my favorite too. It's the perfect marriage of all the best parts of the X-Files

runner up goes to Bad Blood, specifically when Mulder recalls the events and David Arquette's character becomes this hilariously backwoods sheriff jesus christ, that and the OCD vampire bit are two of my favorite X-Files jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9994AgdkuAs&t=160s

time stamped for the mulder recollection, Lmao

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
"Aw man! What'd you have to go and do that for?" has stuck with me since the first time I saw that episode

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm kind of impressed that you confused Luke Wilson and David Arquette. It's insane but also I totally get how you could do that.

yeah those guys are the same to me. the only way i would know its david arquette is if he's wrestling

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also the guy who wrote Jose Chung wrote a season 10 episode where Rhys Darby plays a reverse were-lizard and it's probably the high point of S10-11

He also wrote "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" which is canonical ending of the X-Files imo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

newts posted:

I’m watching the show (again) with my kids. I watched it originally when it aired and my sister and I were obsessed with it back then. We’re on Season 4 right now, somewhere in the middle. Random thoughts so far:

Episode that scared the kids the most: Squeeze

Kids’ favorite episode: The sidesshow one (I forgot the name)

Overall best episode: Clyde Buckman’s Final Repose. This has edged out Jose Chung as my favorite episode during this viewing. Every character is just so charming. I know that’s a weird thing to say, but sometimes Mulder comes off as a dick and Scully as a pretentious loser. In this episode, they feel like the perfect essence of each character and I just like them more. Plus, Peter Boyle is great and the mystery is fun and clever.

Overall worst episode: Any lovely ‘ethnic’ episode. Or most episodes with Chris Carter as co-writer. Especially, any episodes with Chris Carter writing where we get Scully or Mulder reading their word-salad diary out loud.

OP IMO the worst episode is the Scully religious crisis episode because it sucked every bit of rear end possible and then got ignored

Also OP what did the kids think of the Stephen King possessed doll episode, the vampire episode I love “Bad Blood”, the Cerulean Blue arc, idk I will post others but I’m curious!!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

The doll episode is fun enough, but both the X-Files and King could have done better. It's still great to get some Stephen King tropes in X-Files, though, like a guy from Maine going "ayuh". I'm a huge Stephen King fan so I appreciate it for what it is.

Bad Blood loving kicks rear end, a top 10 episode for me. The gag where Scully remembers the sheriff as a brilliant hunk and Mulder seems him as a buck-toothed moron is so good.

"Ya'll from the gubbermint?!?"

the bit where Mulder remembers vampires are OCD, so he throws the bag of sunflower seeds at the kid lol

newts posted:

We haven’t got to most of those yet. What’s Cerulean Blue? Is that from Pusher?

yes!!! Robert Patrick Modell. He's one of my absolute favorite characters in the series. If I ever get an X-Files tattoo, it's gonna be cerulean blue of some sort

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
actually thats a good point. they should've had a story 2-3 episodes into the first season that reveals Invisigoth didn't die but rather escaped and has been living in secret for years. It's absolutely in line with the whacky over-the-top Lone Gunmen vibes too

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
my worst episode changes from time to time. currently i hate the scully religion one the most because ugh

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i also don't think first person shooter is in the top 5 worst. top 10 maybe but i also love it because its so loving stupid

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

And sorry, but First Person Shooter can't be bad when it includes this:

BINGO! Also Fight Club loving SUCKS and that might be my most hated episode. It starts out so promising and then... yeah, it's absolutely not an X-Files episode after the first like 15 minutes and the amount of disappointment I feel with a good monster of the week idea wasted on kathy loving griffith

Also the episode I keep mentioning about Scully's faith is Revelations which is the start of a minor storyline that persists I think even into the new seasons where Scully's religious beliefs are in conflict with her work. As someone who was raised Catholic, I don't need to hear this dumb poo poo anymore I already know we're all going to hell or w/e

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Doggett held his own but Reyes was always the weakest of the agents but even so, she didn't deserve to get done that dirty by chris carter.

Come to think of it, let's blame chris carter for all the ableism too while we're at it, someone's gotta take the fall for this and it may as well be him

his name is slapped all over everything so that checks

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s the one where she helps an angel kill some kids born with extra fingers, right? Or “helps them escape to heaven”?

yep, some dumb weird poo poo like that. and the episode is EXTREMELY PLODDING with it's pacing. Like, even the action parts somehow felt slow and boring.

i wanna rewatch the Doggett seasons soon. he was ALMOST a good character, would've been good if he was written better. Reyes got the shaft from start to end character wise.

also i never fully watch MILLENIUM so I think I might do that. is there a good way to watch the episodes that touch the X-Files and lead into the actual series?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SRQ posted:

This was one of a few episodes where putting the cat back in the bag is loving absurd.
By like season 5 there is quantifiable and public evidence that ghosts exist. Proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

lol there's like 2-3 ways to stop cancer too but :shrug: its 2spooky

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
lady bagmo and I are gonna do something I've never done: actually try to watch every X-Files episode from Season 7 onward. There are MULTIPLE episodes I completely forgot about, and there's a few that I've actually kinda liked so far? the dude who could see through walls episode was decent, saw that last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

leaptosleep posted:

which episode was that? I seem to have forgotten it completely.

Apparently Surekill is that name, it's a decent episode. It was on OTA TV hence out of order for our rewatch. think we might start with Season 7 tonight