Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It was OP.

I'm on season 4 in my rewatch. The monster of the week episodes are miles better than the mythology episodes, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm watching the show in 2023 when "the government hides the truth and does a ton of shady poo poo, actually" isn't in any way shocking. But I don't think it's entirely that, because I never cared for the mythology stuff, and there's more and more of it as the seasons go by and as you say they just start getting so loving convoluted.

The Darin Morgan episodes (Humbug, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's From Outer Space and War of the Coprophages) are still incredible.

SRQ posted:

David Duchovny is unironically hot.

They both are. Good lord.

Back in the late 90s when the Internet wasn't really a thing and certainly not on mobile phones, a friend and I were in a video rental store and they had several X-Files movies. We were pretty sure there was only one movie but couldn't check anywhere and there they were, so maybe they made sequels and we didn't realize? So we rented one, and then it was a two-parter TV-episode on one VHS tape and we felt ripped off.

That's my X-Files story.

E:

Are the new episodes any good? I would assume not since the show turned to poo poo in the last few seasons anyway, and I have zero faith that they were able to bounce back from that years later but who knows?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

redshirt posted:

Yeah Twin Peaks really is the beginning, and the X-Files owes a lot to it.

Hard to believe that first season of Twin Peaks was a phenomena. It's so weird!

I was 12 when Twin Peaks aired, and all my friends and I were loving HOOKED. We didn't get all of it but even that amazing. I don't think I've actually ever rewatched it, maybe I should.

Enfys posted:

Nah, maybe it was my perspective as a kid, but the mytharc episodes were the weakest then too, especially after the first couple seasons when it became just conspiracies within conspiracies filled with nonsense.

Monster of the week was always where the show shined.

Seasons 1&2 hooked people so hard right away because they were mostly monster of the week with an occasional story arc, but as the ratio started shifting in later seasons, it started becoming less interesting over time.

100% this. I watched X-Files when it first aired and the mythology episodes were considered weaker than the monster of the week stuff even back then. They just seem even hokier today.

It feels like they got kind of trapped in a bad place, where the first seasons' mythology started feeling repetitive when it was just basically "Mulder hears about a secret government facility where they keep REAL ALIENS but when he gets there it has been mysteriously cleared out" over and over again, and once they started raising the stakes it started getting more and more ludicrous.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ginette Reno posted:

Mitch Pileggi fuckin rocks.

and is the true sex symbol of the X-files

He manages to make his male pattern baldness sexy and powerful. I don't know how he does it, but god drat he looks good with it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm gonna hijack this thread briefly to say that I after saying I had watched and loved Twin Peaks when it first aired but not since then, I obtained the first season of Twin Peaks yesterday and watched the pilot.

It was more of a mixed bag than I remembered. Some of the comedy scenes feel extremely hokey, like the scene of Sherilyn Fenn scaring away the Norwegians (who are for some reason wearing German Tyrolean hats?) and then laughing about with a ridiculous comedy soundtrack. Some of the acting is also BROAD as gently caress, like Bobby Riggs being interrogated in the library feels like a parody of someone overacting like crazy. And some of the characters feel like Lynch trying to make everyone as quirky and weird as possible, maybe to the hindrance of the show. Case in point, the psychiatrist who wears comically large ear plugs, is dressed like he fell into a Good Will donation bin and acts like a cartoonishly stereotypical bad psychiatrist.

I mean it's David Lynch, so it's gonna be some David Lynch poo poo, but it's kinda wild how I don't remember picking up on any of this as a teen. Let's see where this goes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I felt like some of Twin Peaks hokeyness is it being a bit of a parody of soap operas but it's hard to tell how much

Huh, I didn't know that. I really want to read up on this kind of stuff, but obviously I can't just now because I'm still on episode 2/8 and any discussion about the themes and details of TP would involve a ton of spoilers. I mean I kinda remember the ending, possibly, but besides from that not much.

drat good coffee, though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bonzo posted:

I'm re-watching 80s Twilight Zone and the first half of season 1 is good but then it falls into heavy boomer themed episodes. One stars a very young Scott Grimes and it about a woman that choose a career over having kids. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy_Lost_(The_Twilight_Zone)

There was also the late 90s revival of the Outer Limits, which I remember being REALLY into. I think there was a point pretty early on where the X-Files was busy jumping up its own rear end and our sci-fi fan crew in high school just collectively agreed that Outer Limits was by then the superior show.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cornwind Evil posted:

"If These Walls Could Talk" remains one of the best little known setups for a horror story that I know of.

drat, sure looks like it from the synopsis. Weirdly enough I don't remember the episode at all, but then again it has been 28 years since I saw it. I wonder if Outer Limits is available for streaming anywhere (anywhere reasonable, I mean, I'm not gonna start paying for Paramount+ or something) or if I should just pirate it? In any case I want to see it again.

E: Doesn't look like it's available legally in Finland.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Disco Pope posted:

That's true, but it feels the formula is often more:

1) Mulder attributes a spree of crimes to something he read about in Fortean Times
2) Scully counters that it's probably just a hosed up guy.
3) It's actually a hosed up guy, but he has suckers on his hands like a mountain chupacabra or w/e
4) the shoot him to death and he falls into a Woodchipper
5) Scully cracks open wordperfect and starts her report "Since the dawn of time, man has been terrified and fascinated by woodchippers. In this essay, I will..."

:lol:

That really is a perfect encapsulation.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I remember that back in the 90s when the X-Files was at its hottest, Mark Snow's theme got its own music video so it could be played everywhere, and the music video was just ominous clips from the show.

The only part I remember is that shot from the episode where Mulder and Scully discover the rows of biological samples in those abandoned mines, and there's weird alien kids running around, and then Mulder is standing in the abandoned factory building that's a front for the facility, and there's a big UFO's lights shining through the windows in front.

Jesus loving christ they played that video a LOT for a while there.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hmm could be, the video at least looks the same and it has the spot I remember, but this song sounds like some kind of techno remix or possibly the Hot Dance 98 version of the X-Files theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kluTStX_Y

Music to laugh so hard at you fall out of your friend's car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, that could very well be it!