Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I think if Chris Carter could go back to the start of it and do it again, I think he might have just decided to abandon the series long conspiracy arc and just do Monster of the Week episodes. They hold up a lot better than the 'making it up as he goes along, ends up a tangled mess of like seven different plotlines which eventually involved Mulder's missing sister having been rescued by angels or something like that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There was also the late 90s revival of the Outer Limits, which I remember being REALLY into. I think there was a point pretty early on where the X-Files was busy jumping up its own rear end and our sci-fi fan crew in high school just collectively agreed that Outer Limits was by then the superior show.

"If These Walls Could Talk" remains one of the best little known setups for a horror story that I know of.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Small Strange Bird posted:

The Darin Morgan season 10 episode 'The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat' explains perfectly why The X Files just wouldn't work in its original format any more, and should really have been the final episode ever because it dynamites the entire premise of the show when it's placed in a modern context.

I.. don't see how, please explain. (Is being serious)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Small Strange Bird posted:

Mulder and Dr. They say stuff

And what probably drives Mulder nuts the most is how mundane and banal the 'craziness' is. No elaborate games of mass manipulation, trying to steer the human species down this path or that one, no hidden lizard people masterminds or aliens planting thoughts through lightning strikes. Just legions of con men and chronic mental masturbators exploited by the former so they can keep stroking their egos.

Which is the real world, but that wasn't the X-Files world. Hell that's almost a massive X-file in and of itself: our dull, gray, and just as horrific reality overlaid itself over theirs...which is kind of commented on in the plot of that episode as well.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

redshirt posted:

Can someone successfully and succinctily summarize the "Mythology" storyline?

As said, since it was being made up as they went along, and by fallible people (that's the nice way of putting it), it really can't be done.

The best you could do is basically go "There are aliens, they want to take over our world, but they want as little trouble as possible, so they came into contact with humans, and then the human side and the alien side, each with a bunch of factions who all wanted certain specifics in the taking over to happen or not happen, all began crashing into each other with Mulder and Scully stuck in the middle and sometimes able to pull threads because of it, and hence both sides also tried taking countermeasures against the two, which added even more complications. Then they ended the series without a full set of firm, clear answers, but they decided to pull out the old Mayan 2012 thing and say 'That's when the aliens will be making their full invasion' what with the series ending in 2002, and then in the second part of the 2010's they decided to bring the X-Files back, which meant they had to explain why the Earth wasn't now an alien colony, so they basically went 'The aliens decided we were too much trouble and colonizing Earth would be like those people who built factories in deep jungles that failed and basically got eaten by the jungle" so they never invaded but like the Middle East after World War I there was still a bunch of knock on effects and fallout that had to be dealt with and I guess it got sort of cleaned up but not wholly because you never know if they'll want to do another restart."

All around this are the 'better' one off stories about how strange the world is.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Bonzo posted:

The fact that Mulder is the best serial profiler the FBI ever had, really makes is even more dumb that Samantha was kidnapped and killed by one and he never knew it.

He had a traumatic childhood memory of her being dragged off floating by light, I suspect poo poo like that gets in the way of Occam's Razor. Never mind that Mulder was, by nature and nurture, ALWAYS looking for zebras.

("When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.")

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

The bit in the Smoking Man background episode where he's left underemployed after Gulf War I because all Americas enemies "are defeated now" is some peak end of history blinkered poo poo.

Hey, at the time, for many, it probably legitimately seemed that way. Trying to guess the future, well, look at how fiction in the mid 1900's predicted flying cars and moon colonies for the year 2000, but who knows if any predicted in any way the concept of the internet.

It doesn't help that a lot of people we ASSUME would assume better don't. I've heard that one of the reasons the Soviet Union's collapse and the fall of the Berlin Wall was so extra shocking is that outside of a very small few, no one saw it coming, on either side. Each side was certain they'd be Cold Warring with the other for years, decades to come. When something like THAT catches so many people who you think should have had an inkling or a musing with their pants down, then yeah. The whole 'end of history' thing makes more sense.

Besides, if you pointed out the seeds of the problems in the 90's that would bloom into new history as the millennium turned, no one would listen to you anyway. Or rather, anyone who did listen to you probably wouldn't have been in any position to do anything about it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

SRQ posted:

It was an age where conspiracy theorists were harmless kooks and the conspiracies were interested in things we didn't know about but should: UFOs, Governmental spying, paranormal. Things that didn't have evidence, but people thought evidence should exist for. The basis being that mainstream media and news is a disinformation agenda covering up the evidence.

2023 conspiracy theory goes the other direction: Things that have _plenty_ of evidence, but it's ignored in favour of a disinformation agenda. (Vaccines.)

There's an argument that their roots are the same: ego. Conspiracy belief, if it extends past 'but what if?' mental musing akin to theorizing about your favourite piece of fiction, is basically all 'I'm so much SMARTER than everyone else, I SEE THE TRUTH, and I don't have to exert any effort to be a better person, I just roll out of bed and I'm better'. Recent stuff is basically psychopath devolving: wanting more buzz for less effort. Ancient aliens and lizard people are complicated. The government did 9/11 and Sandy Hook to take your guns and testicles is easy and you get the same masturbation jolt. But at the core, it's about ego stroking. Almost always is, almost always has been. The rest are either mentally ill or 'I want to believe in the world being more interesting than it seems to me, but I know when pressed it's all stories'.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Weebly posted:

Season 2 of the X files has started with 2 absolute bangers. Just waiting for the X files to be re-established.

Let me know what you think of 'the boat episode' when you reach it, it's one of my favourites.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

newts posted:

I’m watching the show (again) with my kids. I watched it originally when it aired and my sister and I were obsessed with it back then. We’re on Season 4 right now, somewhere in the middle. Random thoughts so far:

Episode that scared the kids the most: Squeeze

I am surprised you let them watch Home, and that it wasn't the one that scared the kids the most.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I remember the "fat" ladies were like 90s fat.

Oh come on, they weren't THAT big...oh, you said 90'S fat. I read it as 90 percent fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

newts posted:

I didn’t. We’ve been skipping some. I think I skipped 2shy, too.

Probably smart.

Skipping for content, not a consideration on quality, that's more or less arbitrary. I'm sure there's some X-Files fans who loved My Struggle and First Person Shooter.