Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Congratulations to the Big C for winning MLS Cup 2023! It's still a pretty dumb logo. Congratulations are also in order for Cincinnati, Houston, Vancouver, and Inter Miami for taking home silverware this year, even if no one outside their cities will remember their accomplishments (except maybe the Herons). Year 28 of Major League Soccer and Year 1 of MLS Season Pass are in the books, and now we wait for....hold on....I'm being told that there is no expansion team coming in next year? We've got stability for the first time since *checks Wikipedia* 2016? Well, how about that! Now's the time to take a deep breath, because we're 12 weeks or so away from Year 29.

Offseason schedule

December 11: Trade window opens

December 12: End-of-year waivers

December 13: :siren: Free Agent Frenzy :siren: / Concacaf Champions Cup draw

December 14: Re-entry process, stage 1

December 19: SuperDraft

December 21: Re-entry process, stage 2

February 6: Concacaf Champions Cup begins

February 24: MLS season probably begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dean Smith is back from the dead and stayed in North Carolina

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1734603948873638389

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
I know Norwich isn’t glamorous but that’s a bit harsh

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shrapnig posted:

Dean Smith is back from the dead and stayed in North Carolina

convenient that he was probably the best candidate and that some sizable number of their fans might unironically believe this

given the number of jokes I've seen I can't wait to see how local media bring it up in a presser

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 12, 2023

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
The athletic is saying the Red Bull's hired Sandro Schwarz as their next head coach. I know next to nothing about him, his most recent stint appears to have been leading Hertha Berlin towards relegation, hopefully he has better luck here.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
2024 CCL CCC Draw

:rip: Whitecaps

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

So even if Cavalry beats Orlando, they're hosed. Alright.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

:rip: Whitecaps

honestly the Leagues Cup games were closeish so it's not so much that they'll be Chivas-Forge level slaughters (though they might be)

it's that we ALWAYS draw them and I'm sick of them

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Some competition changes coming next season.

Can't wait to see IFAB shoot down the in-stadium VAR announcement proposal.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1735323531125125585

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Does he know how not to do racisms? RB fans would very much appreciate it if he does.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Reminder that we still have no loving clue why Bruce Arena was canned but apparently everyone is cool with it now? :shrug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Schedule is announced on Wednesday.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The Houston Dynamo could very well be the last MLS team to win the US Open Cup

I guess this is one way to address fixture congestion...

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I’ve seen MLS do a lot of dumb poo poo but this takes the cake.

https://twitter.com/mlsmoves/status/1735787449362604260?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
That would make sense. The next step from never getting relegated is making it impossible to ever lose to a lower league side

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
What a travesty. Just saying "gently caress you" to what little history the sport has here.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 16, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I didn't realize this when I first read the news, but the Canadian clubs *aren't* getting pulled from the Canadian Championship accordingly.

Sucks to be you Canada, you still have to play those extra games.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/BonaguraESPN/status/1735803726160634367

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

pfft, you're supposed to do it QUIETLY pleading fixture congestion and the competitive pressure of more lucrative more important competitions like the REAL leagues do

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 16, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I’m not sure there is another domestic league whose top flight doesn’t play in the top domestic cup competition

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I feel sort of bad about it, but I care about the Open Cup about as much as MLS does.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

there are several where first teams are typically heavily rotated out for domestic cups, which is a more subtle version of what's happening here

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
some advanced stats that might explain it:

Inter Miami lost the Open Cup
Inter Miami won the Leagues Cup

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Open Cup is just a way to lose players to injury. It’s a silly and useless little tournament that no one watches. That’s just the reality.

The perfect analogue is the small form factor iPhones. People made a case that everyone would love it and it’s got a fan following but the reality is no one bought them and they were replaced by larger smartphones.

Good riddance.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2023

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
once again mls making me glad it will never actually hold my interest by being a clownshow.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

paddyboat posted:

I’ve seen MLS do a lot of dumb poo poo but this takes the cake.

https://twitter.com/mlsmoves/status/1735787449362604260?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

Well then could we do away with this "Lamar Hunt US Open Cup" nonsense, and bring back the original Dewar Cup trophy (or rather copies of the original trophy) and rename it after the man who started it all.

Does the Stanley Cup have the same mystique if you change the trophy and the name?

I swear US soccer can't go a decade without trying to dump its history in the trashcan. We have a permanent sense of historical amnesia.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's over, MLS has exited, time to move on to more important matters, like the grass growing and how long it has become.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

They haven't even exited? They're just actually sending their B teams instead of pretending not to send their B teams until they get close enough to maybe actually win it, and every MLS talker on the Internet lost their minds?

(who am I kidding, we lost our minds long ago, that's why we're here)

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
In other news: Caleb Porter is the new Revs head coach. So even with Bruce Arena cleared for MLS duty, the revs don't want him back.

So maybe it was just an internal thing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Open Cup change is dumb as poo poo and fart

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
plot twist
https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/1737488067382911160?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
death to the mls

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

These absolute morons could have just played their reserves/MLS Next players in the Open Cup until the later stages and nobody would have noticed.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The exact point of this move is to be noticed and (probably fail to) shame the USSF into fixing the competition.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

obviously I've been harping on "they could have just shut up and kept doing what they were already doing and nobody would have cared" so I won't repeat myself but I kind of get whypick's idea because of what CONCACAF, also morons, finally did with the CCL this year? Format is meh but actually providing significant prize money is at the very least a step up - IDK if the broadcasting will be any better, we'll see.

I don't know if they actually would have done it without the Leagues Cup existing but they have certainly had twenty years of opportunities to do it and did not before the Leagues Cup expansion.

On the other hand, the leagues are where the money is. USSF gets its money from, like, youth player registration fees, coaching course fees, (and lol at getting people to agree to raise those) plus NT tickets/sponsorship/broadcast deals. I don't even know where CONCACAF gets money? And the stuff people want to do to "fix" these competitions are going to need either money, co-operative media outlets (and for games/articles that are not really going to get huge audiences or drive a lot of subscriptions unless Messi is playing), or both. The big argument has always been: where's that going to come from?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 20, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Schedule's out.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 20, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Schedule's out.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-unveils-2024-regular-season-schedule

No movement on "almost every single match kicks off at 7:30PM local" unfortunately.

edit: Portland @ Seattle on Decision Day. That should be...fun...

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 20, 2023

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

MLS should just use the courts until us soccer fucks off. The open cup is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Jesus, opening day 02/21, MLS Cup 12/07. That's a LONG year.

Nice to see 4th of July El Traffico at the Rose Bowl again, though.